Asians taking pictures of food

This really made me lol!

I have a bunch of funny pics of tourists taking pics.  Like a guy taking pics with in an iPad in a church...

One of those is PS9.

What gets me are the Asian girls who always take pictures with the peace sign... I believe they are usually Japanese.

:eek: I never realized the connection between Asians & food pics. It makes sense, though. I had written a post here a while back about a friend who is obsessed with food. So much so that I was worried about her. She is Asian. Thai, to be exact. She has recently started a blog where she does nothing but take photos of and blog about food. A lot of it is the most every-day / mundane food items you've ever seen. Like I really need to see a photo of cereal. But that's beside the fact.

Why is this so popular to do among Asians?

Asians in general conform to peer activities to avoiding being an outcast. It might be how they were raised by their parents. Their actions must be accepted by reward, praise or denial. Needing acceptance and validation is huge in this culture. They seek acceptence by their friends, families and co-workers. Repetition in doing things to earning praises is huge but always avoiding action that lead to confrontation or rejection. Dining, picture taking, living in the same city, shopping at the same mall, attending the same school, and etc are ways to avoid straying off the path that could lead to rejection.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Asians are into foods and especially for this generation where eating out is a norm. Most Yelpers and Chowhounders are Asians.

This is true about Yelp. I usually avoid Yelp because I don't trust the reviews, but when I do check it, I always notice that the vast majority of Yelpers are Asian. And they try to write like they are professional restaurant reviewers, which is annoying.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Asians in general conform to peer activities to avoiding being an outcast. It might be how they were raised by their parents. Their actions must be accepted by reward, praise or denial. Needing acceptance and validation is huge in this culture. They seek acceptence by their friends, families and co-workers. Repetition in doing things to earning praises is huge but always avoiding action that lead to confrontation or rejection. Dining, picture taking, living in the same city, shopping at the same mall, attending the same school, and etc are ways to avoid straying off the path that could lead to rejection.

Pretty dead on!

irvinehomeshopper said:
This kinda applies to other immigrants.  Some of what you mention applied to my parents and family. 

Maybe Asian food is more interesting? Who wants to see pictures of pizzas and burgers?

Or maybe non-Asians don't know how to use the camera on their phones?

That site makes me afraid to take food pictures for TI now... don't want to get caught on FatGuysTakingPicsOfFood.com.

Among the ethnic population there is a rating system that determined whether that person has achieved a level of success. This is a lifelong game like World of Warcraft where players need to accumulate rewards and overcome tasks that define their different levels in the social ladder of success. Here are just some example that define life achievements and progress among immigrants and their offsprings.

1. Studying abroad
2. Immigration to the USA, Canada, France, or Australia
3. Attend a good school or have children attend a good school.
4. Carrying or wearing a status brand.
5. Buying a brand new home or almost new home.
6. Living in a good zipcode.
7. Driving a Luxury car
8. Have a respected profession.
9. Having hobby or skills associated with royalty
10. Having a lot of photos to proof extensive traveling.
11. Dine at the top restaurants and have proofs to share.

I'm sure this is how most societies define a level of success among individuals but for Asians these are obsessions. Charity work without financial return or public praise is rare. Thankless volunteer job like educating the prison population is out of the picture. Spiritual satisfaction is not a priority.

(reposting because I accidentally posted in Toxic thread)

irvinehomeshopper said:
Among the ethnic population there is a rating system that determined whether that person has achieved a level of success. This is a lifelong game like World of Warcraft where players need to accumulate rewards and overcome tasks that define their different levels in the social ladder of success. Here are just some example that define life achievements and progress among immigrants and their offsprings.

1. Studying abroad
7. Driving a Luxury car

I'm sure this is how most societies define a level of success among individuals but for Asians these are obsessions. Charity work without financial return or public praise is rare. Thankless volunteer job like educating the prison population is out of the picture. Spiritual satisfaction is not a priority.

I'm glad my immigrant husband does not subscribe to this list! I'm starting to think he is quite atypical of Asian immigrants.

traceimage said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

1. Studying abroad
7. Driving a Luxury car

I'm glad my immigrant husband does not subscribe to this list! I'm starting to think he is quite atypical of Asian immigrants.

or IHS is wrong...

This:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Charity work without financial return or public praise is rare. Thankless volunteer job like educating the prison population is out of the picture. Spiritual satisfaction is not a priority.

conflicts with this:
irvinehomeshopper said:

For example: The British royal family is known for their charity work. It was made especially popular by Lady Diana, Princess of Wales and carried on by her sons, particularly the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

He broke the cardinal law by marrying outside of his race so don't expect him to follow rules. I doubt he is interested in a brand new home like most immigrants.

traceimage said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

1. Studying abroad
7. Driving a Luxury car

Asian royalties like Japanese, Korean, and Chinese Dynasties. Classical Music, ballets, operas, Tennis, badmintons, Horse races, and etc. Charity works is only for the westerners.

SoCal78 said:
This:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Charity work without financial return or public praise is rare. Thankless volunteer job like educating the prison population is out of the picture. Spiritual satisfaction is not a priority.

conflicts with this:
irvinehomeshopper said:

For example: The British royal family is known for their charity work. It was made especially popular by Lady Diana, Princess of Wales and carried on by her sons, particularly the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

irvinehomeshopper said:
He broke the cardinal law by marrying outside of his race so don't expect him to fall into the immigrant routines.

As long as we're on this topic, IHS, would you mind providing me some honest insight?

What do Asian guys in general think about white women? Also, do these rules apply to Pacific Islanders?

I think I've decided I want my next husband to be a Samoan or something.  :) (You know - after this one has passed away. I'm much younger than him so I need a backup plan.) Would I have any chance? Would his family look down on me? Please tell me the truth.  :)

I think Samoan families are much more opened to multi ethnicities in America. This is one ethnicity that is well assimilated into the American population since  they really don't have a strong cultural identity and center allowing them to be self sustaining in their own society. On the contrary the Asian "be your own boss " spirit allowed the Vietnamese, Chinese and Koreans to establish their cultural centers, businesses, mini cities, mass media, and self sufficient societies where immigrants do not need to learn English or assimilate into the American way of life. Asian men assume the duty, surname and the cultural legacy of the family. Elders are much more critical of their only or eldest son marrying outside of the race than Asian daughters or younger sons.

To answer your question Samoan inlaws will welcome you.

Asian sons are filial to their elders. Going against the family wishes is a difficult journey. To avoid family discord Asian men rather stick to their own race. I don't think Asian men look down on Caucasian women. Asian women does not carry the family burden thus are guilt free to marrying outside of their race.

SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
He broke the cardinal law by marrying outside of his race so don't expect him to fall into the immigrant routines.

As long as we're on this topic, IHS, would you mind providing me some honest insight?

What do Asian guys in general think about white women? Also, do these rules apply to Pacific Islanders?

I want to hear from the other TI Asian guys on this issue as well. Anyone?

Isn't it just a case of the grass is greener?

Non-white guys like the white women... non-Asian men like the Asian women... but it's usually not the other way around.

I'm an equal opportunity woman liker... not just Austrians.

Back