Artificial Intelligence

Mety said:
I'm not that familiar with this AI thing, but I would guess the advantage of using AI would be it can work over night time, running 24 hours a day without resting like us humans need.

I personally see a long period of time for it to take over certain job fields, but there would have to be the factory owners making killings like those Chinese manufacture owners were.

Are those AI machines, parts, programs, softwares, etc. going to be made in China again? More Vietnam or Indonesia this time?

Surely, Trump wouldn't outsource those, would he?

Most experts believe China will beat us in AI development. Simply because 1) they have more data 2) their government and private sector joint effort and resources.

China is actually in step with USA in terms of automation technology. One of China's biggest retailer JD.com already have many completely automated (zero human labor) warehouses in China. Here is a video of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFV8IkY52iY

irvinehomeowner said:
How will AI be available and less costly in every clinic in the world? Won't there be a need for some interface for the AI with the imaging equipment? Or do you send the images to some central cloud service? Is the AI free? Also, if this is done through the internet, "every" clinic may not have the type of connectivity necessary.

I may not be as close to AI technology that kenkoko is but I do know about infrastructure and software costs.

The common misconception is that adopting AI assisted software = expensive.

The AI assisted software my company "bought" in 2017 was for almost free. There were several other systems we considered and all were very reasonably priced. One company even offered it completely free.

The real catch is they all wanted the data harvested. All of the data belongs to them. Data was far more valuable to them than the fee we pay because data is food for AI. They need data to keep improving.

My company recently upgraded to the newest version and did pay almost 7 figures price. But it allowed the company to further trim back office staff and will recoup this investment in less than 3 years.

Kenkoko said:
irvinehomeowner said:
How will AI be available and less costly in every clinic in the world? Won't there be a need for some interface for the AI with the imaging equipment? Or do you send the images to some central cloud service? Is the AI free? Also, if this is done through the internet, "every" clinic may not have the type of connectivity necessary.

I may not be as close to AI technology that kenkoko is but I do know about infrastructure and software costs.

The common misconception is that adopting AI assisted software = expensive.

The AI assisted software my company "bought" in 2017 was for almost free. There were several other systems we considered and all were very reasonably priced. One company even offered it completely free.

The real catch is they all wanted the data harvested. All of the data belongs to them. Data was far more valuable to them than the fee we pay because data is food for AI. They need data to keep improving.

My company recently upgraded to the newest version and did pay almost 7 figures price. But it allowed the company to further trim back office staff and will recoup this investment in less than 3 years.

?Every? clinic may not want to share data nor can afford a 7-figure price.

irvinehomeowner said:

Here's the reality with your "every" clinic take.

Medical Private practices are dying very quickly. When I got my license in 2008, 65% of doctors were in private practice.  That number has dropped to below 25% today. And the trend is continuing because we are heading to single payer system or a robust public option.  Our policy makers believe large clinics are more data-driven, more efficient, and more effective than their small, private-practice counterparts. So laws and regulation are being pushed this way namely the Affordable Care Act. Very soon small private practices will basically go extinct and frankly 7 figure is a drop in the bucket for any med to large clinic.

You also missed my first point. Software companies make it very inexpensive to get clinics started. (some are even free!)

Their goal right now is to get massive adoption not immediate profit.

In my opinion, it is bad long term business practice to share data. But it is hard to fight progress and profit.  Therefore, the overwhelming majorities do it. Because they are in the business to make money. Every dollar saved = dollar in pocket.

I think my boss is slowly awakening to the realization that we are becoming too reliant on the software. The next time we need to upgrade, it's going to be painful.

Kenkoko said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Here's the reality with your "every" clinic take.

Medical Private practices are dying very quickly. When I got my license in 2008, 65% of doctors were in private practice.  That number has dropped to below 25% today. And the trend is continuing because we are heading to single payer system or a robust public option.  Our policy makers believe large clinics are more data-driven, more efficient, and more effective than their small, private-practice counterparts. So laws and regulation are being pushed this way namely the Affordable Care Act. Very soon small private practices will basically go extinct and frankly 7 figure is a drop in the bucket for any med to large clinic.

Sure, but my take was because IC used the word "every" which in reality is not the case due to cost, lack of connectivity, etc etc. You are referring mainly to US but what about the rest of the world?

You also missed my first point. Software companies make it very inexpensive to get clinics started. (some are even free!)

Their goal right now is to get massive adoption not immediate profit.

I did not because I think you missed mine. The software is not the only cost. There are many other components required for this to work in a widespread manner. While you may have experience with AI usage, I have experience with infrastructure development and I know enough about AI that it's not like you just say "Hey Siri" and now every clinic can get an in-depth image analysis from an MRI.

In my opinion, it is bad long term business practice to share data. But it is hard to fight progress and profit.  Therefore, the overwhelming majorities do it. Because they are in the business to make money. Every dollar saved = dollar in pocket.

I think this depends. Medical data is especially subject to privacy laws so there has to be caution here.

I think my boss is slowly awakening to the realization that we are becoming too reliant on the software. The next time we need to upgrade, it's going to be painful.

This is true for everyone. Most of us can't go through the day without Internet (TI being an example :) ).

But at the same time, with progress there are pain points. For example, everyone wants cloud applications, however, that type of environment is inherently less secure that an application on your internal network. People want more access but that also gives more access to hackers. I'm sure everyone of us knows someone who may have got ransom hacked. The more accessibility we have to data, the less privacy can be guaranteed.

Which also makes me wonder... if AI is just software... it's subject to being hacked. How do we know in this example of radiology, that the diagnosis will be correct or if the AI has been compromised? I like to kid about Terminator scenarios but what security is being employed such that AI does not harm more than help?

So as much as all those forward thinkers worry about replacing jobs and affecting the economy, a just as important concern is making sure that AI doesn't go the wrong way (which I can ensure people will try to do because bad people exist). Every tool can become a weapon.

IHO, I understand that infrastructure can be an impediment to slow down implementation of AI / Automation in other industries. But we are specifically talking about medical field and radiology. The infrastructure is very much in place already.

Large clinics can easily adopt this because they already have electronic systems and on-site radiology department (equipped with MRI machines etc). All they have to do is to start replacing radiologists with AI software.

Small clinics do not have MRI machines as they cost million(s) and the utilization rate is too low to be good business investments. Doctors in small clinics send patients to Labs or large clinics to take diagnostic films and the labs/ large clinics would then send films and interpretations back to the small clinic doctors. Small clinics do not need to change anything. They would just need to have access to emails.

Mety said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I wonder when AI will replace real estate agents.

They already did. It's called Redfin. Another one is Open Listings.

Haha  Last time I checked is that Redfin has human being agents that show properties to buyers and write up offers for them.  When will those humans be replaced by AI?  And I mean smart AI not like Redfin's "guestimates."

I can?t wait until amazon/google/apple take over the world and I can just sit back and enjoy my universal basic income check!

Hurry the fuck up!

I saw a smart key box on shark tank that allowed people to remotely give access to the key box. Not sure how well the product did or is doing. This was intended to minimize the usage of agents and buyers could go see a house directly. It was being tested in San Francisco I want to say.

It may have been a tad bit early. I think they said the MLS was an impediment. They should have partnered with Redfin. Haven?t been house hunting in seven years so maybe these things are actually being used already.

qwerty said:
I can?t wait until amazon/google/apple take over the world and I can just sit back and enjoy my universal basic income check!

Hurry the fuck up!

If you want UBI, please help vote Andrew Yang into office  >:D

certainly better than any other alternative being offered to us right now.  ;D

USCTrojanCPA said:

I don't know about AI replacing RE agents but I think there will be more and more platforms challenging the traditional RE model.

I think something like Home Bay will eventually stick mainstream and really disrupt the % commission model.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Mety said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Haha  Last time I checked is that Redfin has human being agents that show properties to buyers and write up offers for them.  When will those humans be replaced by AI?  And I mean smart AI not like Redfin's "guestimates."

But Redfin agents charge less than traditional RE Agent because they do not need to find the houses for the client.  That's the point of AI, you don't eliminate every job...you just reduce the number of people needed and/or the difficulty of the job.

Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Mety said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

But Redfin agents charge less than traditional RE Agent because they do not need to find the houses for the client.  That's the point of AI, you don't eliminate every job...you just reduce the number of people needed and/or the difficulty of the job.

I brought up a pretty similar view on Robot thread. AI doesn't have to be some kind of machine as we would usually imagine. Small apps are starting to be more serious and major businesses these days and Redfin is one of them to replace many services where the traditional realtors were the only sources to do for us. Everyone looks at the Redfin listings instead of calling and asking the agent if there is anything available now. The costing fees are also the factor to count as well.

Here is an info-graphic look at the 50 most common jobs and how likely they are to become automated

Courtesy of the Yang campaign.

Attachments

• Yang2020.png
    Yang2020.png
    958.5 KB · Views: 233
Kenkoko said:
qwerty said:

Hurry the fuck up!

If you want UBI, please help vote Andrew Yang into office  >:D

certainly better than any other alternative being offered to us right now.  ;D

Just saw the Pete Buttigieg interview on bill maher show . Wow ? Solid guy as well. 

These young dudes are a breath of fresh air from all the poll Tested , corporates type and timid candidates we have had to endure otherwise

Back