Apple's newest sheeple product... the iPad

Got my wife a Mac Mini (1st Gen) which got her hooked. Then came the MacBook Pro, a Mac Mini (2nd Gen) for my daughter, and of course the Jesus Phone 3G, so I view this from a somewhat jaundiced perspective.

Can't stand the Ipad name. Sounds like a hygiene product.

Since it's just another electronic device, we'll need to generate lots more power for this new toy. Solution: Stoke up the generators by the burning books it's supposed to replace. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

I just read about this, and while it looks really cool, I must admit that I don't know what it's actually supposed to do. Is it just kind of like a big iphone, without the phone?

It's Apple's attempt at a netbook... without the keyboard... just like they did with the iPhone. It's also to capture the eBook market... so beware Kindle and Co.

And you can get it with 3G (ie wireless Internet) through AT&T so it is basically a gigantic iPhone that you can't call people with.

That thing is smaller than my cell phone.

Will never leave the brick.

80s-brick-cell-phone.jpg

[quote author="darsh09"]ipad = ipod with a boston accent[/quote]
Hey - I resemble that
Nothin wrong with a Boston accent.
I'm outa heeya.
<!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

The Pad evidently has a microphone so you could set up VOIP using the wireless connection, or 3G if you want to pay ATT for their crappy service. If it had a camera it would be great for Skype.

[quote author="Soylent Green Is People"]The Pad evidently has a microphone so you could set up VOIP using the wireless connection, or 3G if you want to pay ATT for their crappy service. If it had a camera it would be great for Skype. [/quote]

I read that it wouldn't be locked so you could use any sim.

If it gets a camera and is multi-tasking then I would probably get one.

I've read it uses a new micro-sim which you can only currently get at AT&T. I imagine you would have to jailbreak it just like the iPhone if you want to run on another carrier and they would have to be able to support the micro-sim.

No camera as far as I know and the lack of multi-task (which I'm sure they can address in an OS update) is near sighted. It's basically a gigantor iPhone.

Speaking as a hobby iphone developer and owner, I'd wait for the 2nd gen before buying. I paid $600 to beta test the iphone for Apple in 2007.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I've read it uses a new micro-sim which you can only currently get at AT&T. I imagine you would have to jailbreak it just like the iPhone if you want to run on another carrier and they would have to be able to support the micro-sim.

No camera as far as I know and the lack of multi-task (which I'm sure they can address in an OS update) is near sighted. It's basically a gigantor iPhone.[/quote]

Amazingly, the iPad comes UNLOCKED! So if you can find another carrier with the Micro-Sim card, you are good to go.

Given the form factor, I would say lack of multi tasking ability is a major concern.

Also, this may just be me, but given that the intent was to produce a portable computer instead of an even more portable communications device, I think that users would have been better served by a device is based on OS-X instead of one based on the iPhone OS. Ostensibly the locked walls of the iPhone and App Store were intended to protect AT&T's network from errant applications. A device that is intended to be an ultra portable computer shouldn't have the same restrictions that a communications device has. If hardware power and pricing are sufficient to make tablet computers successful, I can't see how any serious users wouldn't migrate to the Windows 7 based tablet device coming from HP. It seems infinitely preferable to this device.

Battery life is impressive if they really can get 10 hours out of this thing. But lack of a camera and/or webcam is bound to limit some of the creative applications that would be possible with a true portable computer.

Overall I think the device will be successful, but it could have offered so much more.

Back