Anyone live at Serrano or Las Palmas?

I'm curious if anyone lives because those two IAC complexes are on my short list when my lease ends at the end of October. What are you opinions of the complexes (both positives and negatives)? I'm also wondering if anyone that lives in either complex and would be willing to split the $500 referral fee with me.

[quote author="buylowsellhigh" date=1252501099]^^^ Tell them you are waiting for a friend to "refer" you and see what they say hahahahah.</blockquote>
lol You want to work the system, eh? I'm game. If they give us a 2-for-1 deal I'm game to sign my name right now.

[quote author="buylowsellhigh" date=1252504014]If new tenants can refer one another. That would be funny. I'm still searching.</blockquote>
I considered many things including the fact that I would be closer to Brea (my consulting gig) and to my mom's house over in Northwood while still being centrally located besides the fact that I'd be saving a few bucks on rent.

Trojan, if you can't find anybody here to use as a resident referral... the IAC's I've checked with have all said a Realtor referral now is the same amount (it used to be less), so you could just go that route and could probably negotiate the split in your favor. Good luck.

If you're interested in having your mom come over to do some housekeeping, your dad over to do some HGTV projects and you giving me free RE data and babysitting my kids... we can negotiate rent on our downstairs bedroom. ;-P

T-man, I think we still have friends at both apts... let me know if you want me to contact them.. Serrano has more character, Las Palmas is the plainer of the two... both are similar, the wife used to do Yoga monday nights at Las Palmas, they have a olympic size pool, larger than most IACs; Serrano is gated, I'm not sure about Las Palmas... both are a pain to move if you live on the third floor...

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1252500700]I'm curious if anyone lives because those two IAC complexes are on my short list when my lease ends at the end of October. What are you opinions of the complexes (both positives and negatives)? I'm also wondering if anyone that lives in either complex and would be willing to split the $500 referral fee with me.</blockquote>

I live in serrano.

Please contact me if anyone wants a referal and we can split it.

My sister in law lives at Las Palmas on the third floor. It seems like a good place to live. Overall pretty quiet and she has a garage. The clubhouse and pool are nice too.

I have lived in Las Palmas for more than 5 years and don't have any complaints.

Recently, there are a lot more kids around than past years but it is not too bad. And since the school started I don't see kids playing outside as much.

We are ready to move to another place but only because we need more space.

Pros and cons about Las Palmas:

Pros: cheap rent due to smaller size apartment (I was offered $1490 a month ago for 2bed/1bath 777sqft)- it would work fine if you live alone or have no kids.

very close to shopping/dinning. everything is virtually just across the street from target to yogurtland.

gated, but it is connected to Anacapa without any gate or walls which make you feel it is larger.

very committed, friendly maintenance crew (maybe true for all IAC community since I don't have any reference)

quite although it back quite busy street-Market place

cons: small size apartment (this is the reason we want to move)

a pool that is not close to the leasing office is not heated and can be maintained better. It is not bad but not as good as the one near the office.

tot lot has wood chips instead of sand (but again it might be true for all IAC apartment)

garages are smaller than Serrano ones. You can't park Hummer H2 in the Las Palmas garage, but you can in Serrano (if you have a hummer, something to consider? ^^ )

you can still work something out with leasing office (I have asked. Not that I have one.)

For Serrano, I had a tour of Serrano 3 years ago I almost moved there due to pet situation. Eventually didn't moved though.

I don't live there so I can't give to the low down but I thought:

It was all very square and/or rectangular.

It is newer than Las Palmas.

I don't like the surroundings. Especially storage buildings next to 261, road across which office buildings are located, Beckman high.

Getting out towards Bryan might be a little inconvenient since you can't make left turn onto Bryan toward Jamboree.

And if you use El Camino Real from/to Jamboree you have to drive through busy shopping mall with 4-way stop sign.

If you use El Camino Real from/to Culver you have to drive around beckman high since El Camino Real doesn't connect Jamboree and Culver.

I hope this helps and If you want a referral to Las Palmas, let me know.

Good luck.[/b]

[quote author="homeowner wannabe" date=1252562992]I have lived in Las Palmas for more than 5 years and don't have any complaints.

Recently, there are a lot more kids around than past years but it is not too bad. And since the school started I don't see kids playing outside as much.

Pros: cheap rent due to smaller size apartment (I was offered $1490 a month ago for 2bed/1bath 777sqft)- it would work fine if you live alone or have no kids.

very close to shopping/dinning. everything is virtually just across the street from target to yogurtland.

gated, but it is connected to Anacapa without any gate or walls which make you feel it is larger.

very committed, friendly maintenance crew (maybe true for all IAC community since I don't have any reference)

a pool that is not close to the leasing office is not heated and can be maintained better. It is not bad but not as good as the one near the office.

tot lot has wood chips instead of sand (but again it might be true for all IAC apartment)

For Serrano, I had a tour of Serrano 3 years ago I almost moved there due to pet situation. Eventually didn't moved though.

I don't like the surroundings. Especially storage buildings next to 261, road across which office buildings are located, Beckman high.

Getting out towards Bryan might be a little inconvenient since you can't make left turn onto Bryan toward Jamboree.

And if you use El Camino Real from/to Jamboree you have to drive through busy shopping mall with 4-way stop sign.

If you use El Camino Real from/to Culver you have to drive around beckman high since El Camino Real doesn't connect Jamboree and Culver.

I hope this help and If you want a referral to Las Palmas, let me know.

Good luck.[/b]</blockquote>

Cons you have for Serrano are very lame. I never had any access problem and I have been living in serrano for last 2 yrs.

[quote author="irvine2008" date=1252563220][quote author="homeowner wannabe" date=1252562992]I have lived in Las Palmas for more than 5 years and don't have any complaints.

I hope this help and If you want a referral to Las Palmas, let me know.

Good luck.[/b]</blockquote>

Cons you have for Serrano are very lame. I never had any access problem and I have been living in serrano for last 2 yrs.</blockquote>

I believe that everyone has different priorities when looking for a place to live.

I said I don't live there but when I toured the property those things came to my mind.

Is it possible that it might not be a problem should I live there? Sure.

Is it possible that it might be a *little inconvenient*? You bet.

It hasn't been any problem for you? Good for you!!

But it sure looked like a problem to me.

I know this isn't related to either Serrano or Las Palmas except as an alternative, but have you considered the new Woodbury complex that just finished construction? I signed a lease there recently, and it's actually a little cheaper with the move-in incentives. The apartments are also brand new (of course), and the fixtures are better. Layout of the 1-bedrooms (at least) is similar, and it's only a little further down Irvine Blvd. I looked at Las Palmas, Serrano, Somerset, and then finally made my way over to Mirasol.

In order of nicest to most basic, I'd say Somerset, Mirasol, Serrano, then Las Palmas. Now, I'm not trying to make any judgements or anything, just an observation in terms of carpeting, fixtures, newness, etc. just as one would rate houses. Somerset was also the most expensive (crown molding, two-tone paint, tile-counter, fireplace!). Mirasol the cheapest (again, move-in incentive included; stainless appliances, crown molding, two-tone paint, granite counters), with Serrano and Las Palmas neck and neck (laminate counters, no crown molding - more basic but still decent). For a 1 bedroom, 750 sq ft, I think the prices avg near 1500/mo, 1400/mo, then 1430 to 1450 for the respective apts when I went looking a couple months ago.

$.02

^^^ You forgot about Anacapa, its a bit higher end than Somerset.

But Somerset has one thing that beats everyone.... they have 1BR units with direct access garage.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1252544336]If you're interested in having your mom come over to do some housekeeping, your dad over to do some HGTV projects and you giving me free RE data and babysitting my kids... we can negotiate rent on our downstairs bedroom. ;-P</blockquote>
Wanting to take advantage of your tenant, eh? haha

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1252613416][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1252544336]If you're interested in having your mom come over to do some housekeeping, your dad over to do some HGTV projects and you giving me free RE data and babysitting my kids... we can negotiate rent on our downstairs bedroom. ;-P</blockquote>
Wanting to take advantage of your tenant, eh? haha</blockquote>
Don't do it, IHO... think of your kids.

Perez' babysitting services:

http://www.stoneyfordns.ie/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/rang-v-crazy-hair-day-2008.jpg

Deuce's Daycare:

http://www.cambridgepixels.co.uk/images/wmsbs/whymsbs1.jpg

USC: I'm currently living in Las Palmas-just moved in about 3 mo ago.

Pros:

Cheap ($1480, 2br 1ba, 2nd floor)

Gas Stove

Washer Dryer

No bug problems so far

Walkable to Target/Food Court area-other parts might be a bit far to walk in a decent amount of time.

Close to Albertsons/Chipotle area.

Gym is OK. Usually not too crowded after 10p.

2x Pools

Half Court bball court.

Leasing office staff are nice

No parking permits required - guests can usually find parking. It gets a bit harder later at night (11pm+), but still doable. Try to get an apt off the main road for a better parking situation.

Cons:

Narrow corridors between apartment buildings-I can see into my neighbor's living room from my own. The weird half naked guy that hangs out on his balcony across the way can see into mine too (this is why our blinds are always closed lol).

Noise can be an issue-I can clearly hear talking from the apartments across the way.

Small for a 2br.

Storage space limited (bathroom especially). Also, no separate pantry in kitchen-just cabinets/drawers.

Gets hot. 2nd story location and the heat reflecting from the buildings probably makes it worse.

Narrow garages

Water pressure is low (maybe just my apt...?)

All in all a decent place to live. The biggest cons for me are caused by the close proximity to other apartments. It makes me feel like I'm living in a fishbowl if my blinds aren't closed. Biggest pro is the convenience. Let me know if you want to split the referral.

I checked out Las Palmas and Serrano. I think Serrano might be a bit more but Serrano seems nicer and parking wasn't a big issued at Serrano. I was able to get the same floor plan for the same price at Serrano. This was back in 07

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1252617412]

Deuce's Daycare:

http://www.cambridgepixels.co.uk/images/wmsbs/whymsbs1.jpg</blockquote>

Where did you get that beer?

Back