Anyone glad to move out of Irvine for their kids???

irvineorbust said:
Then how about this.  I just did a quick search on Tesero High and Trabuco Canyon High.  They are both like 75% white, 7% Asian and others.  Quite different than Irvine high schools were 40 to 50% Asian, 25 ~ 30 whites, and the others.

Are there any Asian parents or know any one who are having their kids going to these schools?  How are your kids doing?
Technically, isn't that a more consistent picture of the more macro population within the US (Asian American's represent 5.6% of the population)? Ultimately, if you go work in the business world or wherever else, you should ultimately be in a situation where you are used to working with people from all kinds of different backgrounds, etc. Not to mention, it is unique experiences and backgrounds that can help diversify general thought patterns.

irvineorbust said:
They create their own path after they grow up.  But while they are minor, kids will be affected by decisions that I'm making as a parent.

So not sure what your point was but my whole thing on this thread was to see what other parents think of moving about of Irvine... To if I'm the only one crazy enough to thinking about moving out in the middle of my kids' jr high and high school lives and see if that's my selfishness or just do it and kids will follow...
I think junior high is much easier. If I put myself in your kids shoes and I was in high school and had to move out in the middle of high school, when you have established those bonds, etc, that would be make for a pretty difficult two years (when it is already a challenging time as you are learning your way through life and building your own self confidence, etc...yes as adults we realize how trivial things you worried about when you were in school were, but the reality is, your kids won't understand that). That said, you also have to know your child. Some kids could get dropped in a new spot and have 100 friends overnight and be just fine, others could have longer term impacts from the adjustment.  Are there any alternatives / ways to get creative to keep one in the school (if it is just another year or 2 years till they finish) while allowing the other one to change middle schools and adjust before getting into high school? 

irvineorbust said:
They create their own path after they grow up.  But while they are minor, kids will be affected by decisions that I'm making as a parent.

So not sure what your point was but my whole thing on this thread was to see what other parents think of moving about of Irvine... To if I'm the only one crazy enough to thinking about moving out in the middle of my kids' jr high and high school lives and see if that's my selfishness or just do it and kids will follow...

Like many others have said it here, it comes down to your assessment weather IUSD is superior than nearby school districts, weather you and your kids are in tune with IUSD and so on.

Personally, for me, I do not have time or resources to assess many school districts and individual schools. Therefore, I rely on collective wisdom of crowd and come to conclude that IUSD is superior because many many smart people think that way and have boosted the real estate here. Further, we are very much in tune with IUSD. So, Irvine works for us despite all the things that are wrong with it.

Bullsback said:
irvineorbust said:
Then how about this.  I just did a quick search on Tesero High and Trabuco Canyon High.  They are both like 75% white, 7% Asian and others.  Quite different than Irvine high schools were 40 to 50% Asian, 25 ~ 30 whites, and the others.

Are there any Asian parents or know any one who are having their kids going to these schools?  How are your kids doing?
Technically, isn't that a more consistent picture of the more macro population within the US (Asian American's represent 5.6% of the population)? Ultimately, if you go work in the business world or wherever else, you should ultimately be in a situation where you are used to working with people from all kinds of different backgrounds, etc. Not to mention, it is unique experiences and backgrounds that can help diversify general thought patterns.

I thought that's a given get a long with people at work. According to you, I guess Asians don't have unique experiences?

eyephone said:
Bullsback said:
irvineorbust said:

I thought that's a given get a long with people at work. According to you, I guess Asians don't have unique experiences?

Because according to Ballsack:

75% White, 7% Asian  = diverse.  Yay!

30% White, 50% Asian = not diverse enough.

WTTCHMN said:
eyephone said:
Bullsback said:
irvineorbust said:

Because according to Ballsack:

75% White, 7% Asian  = diverse.  Yay!

30% White, 50% Asian = not diverse enough.

Ha that's funny

eyephone said:
Bullsback said:
irvineorbust said:

Never said that at all. But if your kid is raised in a bubble not consistent with the real world, they might not know what they get themselves to or might have their experience too limited and not be prepared for the real world. By the way, that bubble exists in orange county regardless (whether from a race perspective or just from a most everyone is relatively affluent perspective, which is not consistent with the real world).

My general view is I'm a huge believer in diversity and that works across all angles. I think it is unfortunate for anyone to grow up in an area where they don't get to deal with a variety of races / cultures as it makes it, in my opinion, more likely that you grow up more closed off / sheltered.  The diversity in Irvine is one of the things I find to be very attractive.  I could give two shits what race someone is, don't break the law and treat others with respect. As long as you do that, I don't care if my neighbor or friend is white, black, orange, etc. Well I suppose I care if my president is Orange (i.e., Trump). 

Rereading my previous post, well, I don't know what I typed...wasn't representing what I meant to say.  I was implying that I don't believe you should overly concerned because a certain demographic is 14% vs. 30% or whatever it is in Irvine. I'd be more concerned if I ever was to put my own kid in a situation where they would be essentially the only non-white in school (as I'd never want my kids to go through that experience if I had any say in the matter).

irvineorbust said:

Have you been down to the rsm area that is zoned to Tesoro?  I spend time down there and as an Asian American that's more American than Asian, I feel uncomfortable. That's just my individualistic broad strokes two cents.

Edit: oops I'm assuming you are Asian. Obviously if you are not, my comment is even more irrelevant than it already is. :)

irvineorbust said:
I was wondering if I should stop Irvine home searching and move down also for cheaper and bigger house... but my kid have to go to a new totally new school when he enters high school this fall...  don't know if getting a house is a good excuse to rattle a kid's school/friend life...

Unless you feel the current situation is detrimental to your child or a move is at your child's request, I would strive to not uproot them at that age.

irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
May be not so much API or SAT scores but overall quality wise.

How do you measure overall quality? I thought the quality of the schools is seen through the scores no?

I meant students behavior, caring teachers, school violence or safety, facility, reputation (not just academic but clubs, sports) and etc...

If you have a lot of money, you are a good person?  High score doesn't mean a school is good (at least to me).  That just tells me that parents are well off and were able to provide more for their kids in terms of after school classes and weekend SAT classes.

Huh...didn't know good scores indicated well to do parents. I just thought that meant teachers cared enough to make sure all the kids were learning.

No disrespect but Irvine Fanatic may not be a parent or know much about education/school system...  Some of the most caring teachers are in inner cities and ghetto areas.  In those areas, I have friends who mentioned that no matter what they do, most students wouldn't do much.  They almost always have parents who don't support or push and are in "poverty". 

Just FYI - got kids, grew up in inner city, had teachers that didn't care. You're making a lot of negative assumptions. Just because parents are poor doesn't mean they don't push their kids. Sounds like some elitist. What an insult to families that struggle to better themselves.

Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:

How do you measure overall quality? I thought the quality of the schools is seen through the scores no?

I meant students behavior, caring teachers, school violence or safety, facility, reputation (not just academic but clubs, sports) and etc...

If you have a lot of money, you are a good person?  High score doesn't mean a school is good (at least to me).  That just tells me that parents are well off and were able to provide more for their kids in terms of after school classes and weekend SAT classes.

Huh...didn't know good scores indicated well to do parents. I just thought that meant teachers cared enough to make sure all the kids were learning.

No disrespect but Irvine Fanatic may not be a parent or know much about education/school system...  Some of the most caring teachers are in inner cities and ghetto areas.  In those areas, I have friends who mentioned that no matter what they do, most students wouldn't do much.  They almost always have parents who don't support or push and are in "poverty". 

Just FYI - got kids, grew up in inner city, had teachers that didn't care. You're making a lot of negative assumptions. Just because parents are poor doesn't mean they don't push their kids. Sounds like some elitist. What an insult to families that struggle to better themselves.

I agree. I felt insulted also.

Im still waiting for the OPs response, what is an example of a brown Asian?  :D

rideBMC said:
OT: what is an example of a brown Asian?

irvineorbust said:
If you search highly ranked high schools in the nation or just California alone, they are almost always costal, high tech industry concentrated, historically wealthy neighborhood where household income is very high and parents are very much involved and often being tiger moms/dads.  Parents making more money know the importance of education/high scores so they push their kids, provide with all the tools, send them to extra classes, lessons, trainings, SAT classes, private tutors...  By default, rich folks kids will do better and they do start early on when they are young.... It's not just Asians, Caucasians, brown Asians, all together...

So teachers often are just about same everywhere with very few exceptions.  Yes, may be they are little better overall in Irvine than Compton but I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse is true...

eyephone said:
Not these two:

facekini-5%25255B3%25255D.jpg

I think IUSD allows the kids of teachers to attend school in the district, so while IUSD may not pay the highest, there are some benefits that can and do entice talented teachers to come teach in the district.

eyephone said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:

I agree. I felt insulted also.

No need to be insulted.  Someone called me elitist.  Should I be insulted for that gross prejudice judgment?  I immigrated when I was a teen and grew up in LA downtown so it's not just you.  Also have kids in Irvine and saw plenty of teachers who didn't care much also.

I didn't make a lot of negative assumptions about inner city schools and parents.  Those are real and happening now.  Why do you think top rank public schools are not from Compton, Santa Ana, or East LA?

Anyway, I never said all poor parents are bad parents.  I wrote, I had teacher friends in those areas where students didn't care to do much and there were almost always absence of parents involvement and often struggle financially.  I'm sure there are wealthy parents who abuse kids or don't care much about their kids schooling but if you have to worry about every single exception then no point of discussing or arguing about anything I guess...

eyephone said:

[

I read it somewhere on this blog so I can't claim it was me first who said...  Yellow Asians are Far East and South East Asian like Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese...  Brown Asians are Middles Eastern, Indian, Pakistani, Iranian... 

Don't lynch me.  I'm just telling you what I read...  Asian Continent is just too big...

irvineorbust said:
eyephone said:

[

I read it somewhere on this blog so I can't claim it was me first who said...  Yellow Asians are Far East and South East Asian like Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese...  Brown Asians are Middles Eastern, Indian, Pakistani, Iranian... 

Don't lynch me.  I'm just telling you what I read...  Asian Continent is just too big...

Maybe if the continent is broken up, people will think it's more diverse.

I'm having these thoughts/issues as well. My kids are young, but I'm worried about what will happen down the road, esp in high school. I don't think going to an outrageously competitive high school is a good thing. And I don't believe in supplemental school like Kumon or wherever people go (unless a child truly needs extra help). I'm really struggling with whether we should move out of Irvine or not.

traceimage said:
I'm having these thoughts/issues as well. My kids are young, but I'm worried about what will happen down the road, esp in high school. I don't think going to an outrageously competitive high school is a good thing. And I don't believe in supplemental school like Kumon or wherever people go (unless a child truly needs extra help). I'm really struggling with whether we should move out of Irvine or not.

This is something you should discuss with your partner.

Back