Anyone glad to move out of Irvine for their kids???

irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
May be not so much API or SAT scores but overall quality wise.

How do you measure overall quality? I thought the quality of the schools is seen through the scores no?

I meant students behavior, caring teachers, school violence or safety, facility, reputation (not just academic but clubs, sports) and etc...

If you have a lot of money, you are a good person?  High score doesn't mean a school is good (at least to me).  That just tells me that parents are well off and were able to provide more for their kids in terms of after school classes and weekend SAT classes.

Huh...didn't know good scores indicated well to do parents. I just thought that meant teachers cared enough to make sure all the kids were learning.

Here is what I think homework should be based on what my kids and my friends kids tell me and what I think is reasonable:

K: None
1-3: Max 15-30 minutes M-Thu
4-6: Max 30-1hr M-Thu
7-8: Max 1-1:30hr M-Thu
9-12 Have no idea but should not be more than 2 hours a day.

I know kids in TUSD who do more than that and kids in SVUSD who do less.

irvineorbust said:
I talked to a lady who did move to Lake Forest. She happens to be white and felt like a fish out of water being among mostly Asians in Irvine.  She's glad she did and thinks Lake Forest/Mission Viejo high schools are as good as Irvine high schools. 

It was nice meeting you. Let's keep in touch.

Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:

How do you measure overall quality? I thought the quality of the schools is seen through the scores no?

I meant students behavior, caring teachers, school violence or safety, facility, reputation (not just academic but clubs, sports) and etc...

If you have a lot of money, you are a good person?  High score doesn't mean a school is good (at least to me).  That just tells me that parents are well off and were able to provide more for their kids in terms of after school classes and weekend SAT classes.

Huh...didn't know good scores indicated well to do parents. I just thought that meant teachers cared enough to make sure all the kids were learning.

No disrespect but Irvine Fanatic may not be a parent or know much about education/school system...  Some of the most caring teachers are in inner cities and ghetto areas.  In those areas, I have friends who mentioned that no matter what they do, most students wouldn't do much.  They almost always have parents who don't support or push and are in "poverty".  Often they are absent from home leaving kids alone doing whatever they want.

If you search highly ranked high schools in the nation or just California alone, they are almost always costal, high tech industry concentrated, historically wealthy neighborhood where household income is very high and parents are very much involved and often being tiger moms/dads.  Parents making more money know the importance of education/high scores so they push their kids, provide with all the tools, send them to extra classes, lessons, trainings, SAT classes, private tutors...  By default, rich folks kids will do better and they do start early on when they are young.... It's not just Asians, Caucasians, brown Asians, all together...

So teachers often are just about same everywhere with very few exceptions.  Yes, may be they are little better overall in Irvine than Compton but I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse is true...

irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:

No disrespect but Irvine Fanatic may not be a parent or know much about education/school system...  Some of the most caring teachers are in inner cities and ghetto areas.  In those areas, I have friends who mentioned that no matter what they do, most students wouldn't do much.  They almost always have parents who don't support or push and are in "poverty".  Often they are absent from home leaving kids alone doing whatever they want.

If you search highly ranked high schools in the nation or just California alone, they are almost always costal, high tech industry concentrated, historically wealthy neighborhood where household income is very high and parents are very much involved and often being tiger moms/dads.  Parents making more money know the importance of education/high scores so they push their kids, provide with all the tools, send them to extra classes, lessons, trainings, SAT classes, private tutors...  By default, rich folks kids will do better and they do start early on when they are young.... It's not just Asians, Caucasians, brown Asians, all together...

So teachers often are just about same everywhere with very few exceptions.  Yes, may be they are little better overall in Irvine than Compton but I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse is true...
I've mentioned this before but there is a sidebar to kids of rich parents.

Depending on how "rich", these kids may not value education/hard work as much because they are trust fund babies.

Something to think about when you are considering living in Newport.

irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvineorbust said:

This thread seems more about class welfare than about education.

As for the OP...I am not sure what to make of the mother you speak of other than she feels more comfortable is a more "white" neighborhood.  That's not really on Irvine or IUSD...I can tell you that my daughter's classroom has a wide range of kids and they play with each other well. 

As for IUSD, it's really parental support that put it over the top.  The ability to fundraise and receive donations from wealthy parents help elevate the district.  The district also does not have to spend money on things like metal detectors, security, or worry about theft.  IUSD does not actually pay their teacher very much so it is not going to attract top level teachers.

Ahh, metal detectors and security guards, good 'ol high school days.  In lausd. 

Irvinecommuter said:
As for the OP...I am not sure what to make of the mother you speak of other than she feels more comfortable is a more "white" neighborhood.  That's not really on Irvine or IUSD...I can tell you that my daughter's classroom has a wide range of kids and they play with each other well. 

As for IUSD, it's really parental support that put it over the top.  The ability to fundraise and receive donations from wealthy parents help elevate the district.  The district also does not have to spend money on things like metal detectors, security, or worry about theft.  IUSD does not actually pay their teacher very much so it is not going to attract top level teachers.

Pay mello roos or pay for metal detectors. :)

Cornflakes said:
Irvinecommuter said:

It's unfortunate schools are not safe these days. (Mello Roos or not)

Arm the teachers like Texas?

OT: what is an example of a brown Asian?

irvineorbust said:

I think I know, but I'll let the OP answer. Haha

rideBMC said:
OT: what is an example of a brown Asian?

irvineorbust said:

This is a topic that I'm interested in and still trying to figure things out. I have talked to parents who have kids in IUSD. One is a 9th grader and another is a 7th grader. The mom said that she wasn't that impressed with Irvine school. I was surprised since I thought all the parents love Irvine School and that's why so many people choose to live in Irvine. She complained about overloaded homework and how her kids don't have time to play after school. Also, the Asian parents send their kids to academic after school or summer camp so their grades are better. It makes the 9 year old to question her mom if he is not as smart as those Asian kids. The Mom told him that it was because he didn't go to the academic classes like they did. She said that when her 9 year old was 4 year old, he taught himself how to read. He is very bright but now he has lost interests in school. When she tries to voice her opinion of less homework, she was shadowed by other Asian parents who demand more homework. This is an opinion from ONE parent who sent her kids to IUSD, so I wouldn't say this is true for all. But it really made me start questioning where should I send my kids to school for elementary, middle school and high school.

Currently, my kids are all under 5. I started researching. I guess I will talk to more parents whose kids are in grade school. Most of my friends' kids are same age group like mine. I grew up in China, and I felt what that Mom described is a similar environment I have experienced in China. Kids are forced to take after school academic classes because EVERYONE else does so. If you don't, you will fall behind. Worksheets after worksheets, practice test after practice test. Not only the parents, the teachers pushed us so hard in school. I went to the best middle school in my city( in order to get in, you need to have high score on a set of test or you are rich and have connections). The middle school was good because they have highest record to send kids to the best high school in my city. (Again, test score based). I remember my last year in middle school was like hell. I was in school from 7am till 7pm. Sleep around 10 or 11pm. And we have Saturday schools! After a 60 minute self studying classes, there was a 10 minute break. When the break time bell ring, I was like finally, I can talk to my friends. But I look around, EVERYONE is still studying! No one wants to chat. That was the kind of pressure that we were having during that year. Study, worksheets, study, worksheets. We finished all the learning material 1 year or half a year ahead. The remaining school time was spent on reviewing and worksheets. Result: I got into the best high school in my city. After one year in high school, I moved to the States. Well, having experienced that, I think it killed my interests in learning. I no longer study, which means I no longer absorb the studying materials. I just "study" enough to pass the test or do enough for the grades.

Now I'm out of school and I don't see myself having the potential to become some leader in big companies. Top is a manager at small company. At work, I met a lot of people who grew up in the US and didn't go to the best school. I truly believe that they are smart or smarter than I am. They also have more abilities to be more successful than I do. I don't know how this generation is going to be with all more and more Asian parents that push kids so hard in the States now. I really don't want my kids to be in the same environment that I was in. I wish they can always have the interests in learning and not just study for the grades. I do believe kids should be pushed, but only to certain extents. As a parent with limited knowledge, I am confused as what I should choose to find the best balance for my kids. How to nurture their nature interests in learning but also push them. Also, what's more important in school is the peers. I believe peers have more effect on the kids than anything else. So what is the best environment? I don't know......advice?

Maybe this is the benefit of living in the older Irvine hoods. You have a more diverse mix of kids so there is not so much pressure.

To be fair, there are probably quite a few TI parents who prefer the high-pressure, lots of homework, lots of after school academia environment for their kids... if you're not one of them (like me), you may want to consider other schools or other cities.

eyephone said:
Cornflakes said:
Irvinecommuter said:

It's unfortunate schools are not safe these days. (Mello Roos or not)

Arm the teachers like Texas?

You want a bunch of overstressed and severely undersupported teachers carrying firearms around children?  Sounds like a good idea.

I think as a parent you have to find that line for each kid.  Some kids are naturally inclined to do academic work and others are not. 

You do have to push kids especially when they get frustrate and bored because that's reality.  Some of the best lessons in the life is to how to handle adversity and push through the work even though it's hard and/or boring. 

Smart kids often develop bad habits and coast on their talents rather than hard work.  When they reach something that is difficult or challenging, they end up ducking the responsibility or pushing it off. 

Academic education is important but so is habit/personality development.  Help your kids push and challenge themselves beyond their comfort level and perceived abilities.  Then commend them for doing so even if the results do not meet outside expectations. 

eyephone said:

I don't know if you agree with or not but this thread was never meant to be about high scores or GPAs...  It was about parental decision (financial, social, and quality of life) that may affect a teenage kid.  In a way it was about education (non-academic).

I just wanted to know if there were anyone who move out of Irvine even if that meant moving kids out of Irvine schools and were glad they did while many are trying to move in to Irvine...

Then how about this.  I just did a quick search on Tesero High and Trabuco Canyon High.  They are both like 75% white, 7% Asian and others.  Quite different than Irvine high schools were 40 to 50% Asian, 25 ~ 30 whites, and the others.

Are there any Asian parents or know any one who are having their kids going to these schools?  How are your kids doing?

irvineorbust said:
eyephone said:

I don't know if you agree with or not but this thread was never meant to be about high scores or GPAs...  It was about parental decision (financial, social, and quality of life) that may affect a teenage kid.  In a way it was about education (non-academic).

I just wanted to know if there were anyone who move out of Irvine even if that meant moving kids out of Irvine schools and were glad they did while many are trying to move in to Irvine...
The way I see it. Deal with the cards you are dealt with. Everybody creates their own path and future.

What are your expectations on your kids after high school? (If any)

They create their own path after they grow up.  But while they are minor, kids will be affected by decisions that I'm making as a parent.

So not sure what your point was but my whole thing on this thread was to see what other parents think of moving about of Irvine... To if I'm the only one crazy enough to thinking about moving out in the middle of my kids' jr high and high school lives and see if that's my selfishness or just do it and kids will follow...

Back