Anyone familiar with Rancho Palos Verdes

PV is full of the biggest degenerates you will ever meet. There were several in the USC Surf Club back in the day. Massive drug problem and the proximity to even bigger drug/degeneracy Hermosa/Manhattan makes it a crapshoot of a place to raise a kid, kind of like Newport but not dissimilar from La Jolla with the fight culture at LJHS. More Asians there now so may not as bad.

OCtoSV said:
PV is full of the biggest degenerates you will ever meet. There were several in the USC Surf Club back in the day. Massive drug problem and the proximity to even bigger drug/degeneracy Hermosa/Manhattan makes it a crapshoot of a place to raise a kid, kind of like Newport but not dissimilar from La Jolla with the fight culture at LJHS. More Asians there now so may not as bad.

Man OC...you are my mirror opposite.  You don't like LBC, PV and now all the South Bay Beach areas.  Those are all my old and current hoods.  I loved every minute of living there and yes, the Japanese moved in aggressively in the 80's to 90's.  Now quite a lot of Chinese buying there.  True there is still a local vibe in the Surf culture but that's been there for many decades.  As I have said, to each their own, we all find our own private Idaho.

morekaos said:
OCtoSV said:

Man OC...you are my mirror opposite.  You don't like LBC, PV and now all the South Bay Beach areas.  Those are all my old and current hoods.  I loved every minute of living there and yes, the Japanese moved in aggressively in the 80's to 90's.  Now quite a lot of Chinese buying there.  True there is still a local vibe in the Surf culture but that's been there for many decades.  As I have said, to each their own, we all find our own private Idaho.

We're actually likely very similar (besides your FUCLA degrees though we share the CSCI portion!). I'm from L.A. and lived in the SB for many years after school in the late 80s/early 90s back when Pier Ave was still dive bars and the places for talent were 12th St or Sunsets. Remember reggae Sundays at Redondo Snortcenter? El Tarasco rooftop for a Jr Super Deluxe? Surfing dumpy beachbreak at Burnout/Pier(s)/El Stinko? You luckily had the pass to surf the Bay (a couple of the guys I knew were OG Bay Boys) which must have been nice. I got Rat's Cove good a couple times.

I saw the seamy side as well and would say 50% of the local kids I met were total wastoids usually subsidized by disinterested parents. Once I moved to OC I used to sometimes thinks about getting back to the SB, but once we moved to Silicon Valley I saw how different the culture is here, and having just moved our kid into college after 4 yrs at one of the most well know and competitive public high schools in the area I have to say I don't think he would have gone 4 yrs without being exposed to drugs/alcohol/party scene growing up anywhere in SoCal relative to up here.

Now that we're empty nesters I bring up SoCal from time to time with my OC bride but the farthest south she's willing to move at this point is Pebble Beach or Carmel.

Ha Ha OC...I bet we cut each other off every once in awhile at Rat and the Cove...I also bartended at Beach Bum Burt's for many years so there's a good chance I Served you a drink during that time period....Cheers!!

Hawthorne and Gardena in the late 80's wasn't bad.

As soon as the 90's roll in, it gotten really ugly....I visit there sometimes and as I drive through the area, I thank God for able to move to OC, Irvine.

Back