Amazon Fresh grocery store opens at Irvine Market Place

aquabliss said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:
Cares said:
I just used Amazon Fresh delivery for the first time yesterday. I found the experience to be quite good. It felt weird because I looked everywhere on the app to tip the delivery person but I guess you can't?

I set the tip at checkout.  It typically defaults so if you didn?t change it you probably tipped $5 - $7.

I agree though, Amazon Fresh delivery in our hood is great and prices are just as good as all the other surrounding stores.  So far the produce they selected is way better quality than the instacart people.  Amazon has its own employeees shop for you in the store (not the driver) so that?s probably why.

Do they use their own drivers or outsource drivers for Amazon Fresh deliveries?  I ordered ice cream and a ribeye that'll be delivered today so I'll see how that goes.

They deliver in their own car (not an Amazon branded vehicle) so I think they outsource but they have enough volume that the driver (for that run at least) is only delivering Amazon Fresh deliveries.  You'll get a text when your driver is out for delivery and it will tell you how many stops away they are, you can follow them on the map. 

When it first opened I noticed there was usually 2-3 stops on a run but now it's getting more popular I'm seeing 5-6 stops.  Was a bit worried about my ice cream and frozen items when I'm stop 5+ but they pack and insulate them really well so far no problems.

Adding this is like something you don't know how to live without once you start using it. 

How did you get the update on your phone?  Is there something I need to do on my Amazon portal?  On my last order I got two 64-oz Pure Unsweetened Ice Teas but I guess they didn't have them and they substituted those two with 18-oz bottles because they didn't have the 64-oz ones.  Not only didn't I pay for the 64-oz ones, but they didn't charge me for the 18-oz ones...can't beat that.

Sounds like a an upgraded 711.
They bought Whole Foods but came up with a target grocery/7111 concept. Go figure.

eyephone said:
They bought Whole Foods but came up with a target grocery/7111 concept. Go figure.

McDonald's is the most successful hamburger company in the world.  $20 Billion dollars a year does not lie.

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

McDonald's is the most successful hamburger company in the world.  $20 Billion dollars a year does not lie.

We are talking about Amazon Fresh new concept location in Irvine?

USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:
Cares said:
I just used Amazon Fresh delivery for the first time yesterday. I found the experience to be quite good. It felt weird because I looked everywhere on the app to tip the delivery person but I guess you can't?

I set the tip at checkout.  It typically defaults so if you didn?t change it you probably tipped $5 - $7.

I agree though, Amazon Fresh delivery in our hood is great and prices are just as good as all the other surrounding stores.  So far the produce they selected is way better quality than the instacart people.  Amazon has its own employeees shop for you in the store (not the driver) so that?s probably why.

Do they use their own drivers or outsource drivers for Amazon Fresh deliveries?  I ordered ice cream and a ribeye that'll be delivered today so I'll see how that goes.

They deliver in their own car (not an Amazon branded vehicle) so I think they outsource but they have enough volume that the driver (for that run at least) is only delivering Amazon Fresh deliveries.  You'll get a text when your driver is out for delivery and it will tell you how many stops away they are, you can follow them on the map. 

When it first opened I noticed there was usually 2-3 stops on a run but now it's getting more popular I'm seeing 5-6 stops.  Was a bit worried about my ice cream and frozen items when I'm stop 5+ but they pack and insulate them really well so far no problems.

Adding this is like something you don't know how to live without once you start using it. 

How did you get the update on your phone?  Is there something I need to do on my Amazon portal?  On my last order I got two 64-oz Pure Unsweetened Ice Teas but I guess they didn't have them and they substituted those two with 18-oz bottles because they didn't have the 64-oz ones.  Not only didn't I pay for the 64-oz ones, but they didn't charge me for the 18-oz ones...can't beat that.

They send me a text when my order leaves the store and I click the link to follow the driver.  Make sure you are signed up to receive text messages (on Amazon) when your order status is updated.  Also once the order departs you can view the current location on your "Orders" tab on Amazon site I believe. 

Nice deal on the tea substitution.  I always click on "Don't substitute items", maybe I should leave it unchecked next time just in case.  They do have good prices on the Pure Teas.  I love the Pure Lemonade Iced Tea but its more calories.

eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

Yes.

The purpose isn't for YOU to shop.

it's for THEM to shop.

Aquabliss is the example.

AmazonFresh is a grocery store with a service area covering 50,000 households.

How do you put an Amazon distribution center in the any city?  You call it a grocery store.

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

Yes.

it's for THEM to shop.

How do you put an Amazon distribution center in the any city?  You call it a grocery store.

I am entitled to my opinion.
This is Amazon%u2019s additional footprint into retail. I am shocked that they went the convenience store route. (Some people say Amazon has the top talent. But this is the best they can do? Come on.)
I have to say Amazon acquisition of Whole Foods did not live up to expectations. They were suppose to change grocery. (We all know that did not happen.)

eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

Yes.

it's for THEM to shop.

This is Amazon%u2019s additional footprint into retail. I am shocked that they went the convenience store route. (Some people say Amazon has the top talent. But this is the best they can do? Come on.)
I have to say Amazon acquisition of Whole Foods did not live up to expectations. They were suppose to change grocery. (We all know that did not happen.)

Which brings us back to the McDonald's hamburger.

My pleasant experience came when they had to sub 2 of my items. Like USC said, I didn't pay for my original item and they didn't charge me for the substitution. I read their website and they said "in most cases" this is the policy.

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

Yes.

it's for THEM to shop.

McDonalds has nothing to do with convenience store. I even heard some people call the new Amazon an upgraded liquor store.

If you are saying it is all about money. Who cares about the concept! Even though they did not knock it out of the park with their liquor store concept.

aquabliss said:
Cares said:

I just check again, no options for tipping even prior to ordering.

Cares said:
aquabliss said:
Cares said:

I just check again, no options for tipping even prior to ordering.

When you are checking out right before you place your order you have the option to adjust your tip amount.

aquabliss said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:
Cares said:

They send me a text when my order leaves the store and I click the link to follow the driver.  Make sure you are signed up to receive text messages (on Amazon) when your order status is updated.  Also once the order departs you can view the current location on your "Orders" tab on Amazon site I believe. 

Nice deal on the tea substitution.  I always click on "Don't substitute items", maybe I should leave it unchecked next time just in case.  They do have good prices on the Pure Teas.  I love the Pure Lemonade Iced Tea but its more calories.

I only click on the "don't substitute items" for specific flavors like for the ice cream, guess I got lucky with the iced tea.  The meat that they delivered looks really fresh but the ice cream was a bit melted.  Maybe next time I'll have them delivery it in the early morning or at night so the ice cream doesn't melt as much.

eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

Yes.

it's for THEM to shop.

McDonalds has nothing to do with convenience store. I even heard some people call the new Amazon an upgraded liquor store.

If you are saying it is all about money. Who cares about the concept! Even though they did not knock it out of the park with their liquor store concept.

You think McDonald's sells hamburgers don't you?

BTW, convenience stores are a $600 billion market.

irvinehomeowner said:
Just like solar... eye will eventually buy in to Amazon Fresh. :)

Can a person with a family that cooks at home do all their grocery shopping at the new Amazon place?

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:

Yes.

it's for THEM to shop.

You think McDonald's sells hamburgers don't you?

BTW, convenience stores are a $600 billion market.

We are talking about different things.
You are talking about potential revenue of a business.
I am talking about the business concept.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Can a person with a family that cooks at home do all their grocery shopping at the new Amazon place?

I think it depends on the kind of cooking you do. Milk, eggs, bread, produce, yes. Haven't tried any meat or seafood - buy and freeze that in bulk. I assume they have a normal selection of spices/etc, but haven't checked. They might not have every single ingredient you need, especially if you're making something more specialty/unique. But they definitely have the staples that we buy weekly (see above).

moc said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I think it depends on the kind of cooking you do. Milk, eggs, bread, produce, yes. Haven't tried any meat or seafood - buy and freeze that in bulk. I assume they have a normal selection of spices/etc, but haven't checked. They might not have every single ingredient you need, especially if you're making something more specialty/unique. But they definitely have the staples that we buy weekly (see above).

This is why people will still continue to go to Trader Joes/Sprouts/Ralph?s/99 ranch/Hmart/etc.
As I said before not a game changer.

What has significantly change with Whole Foods after Amazon bought them? Amazon locker outside?

eyephone said:
What has significantly change with Whole Foods after Amazon bought them? Amazon locker outside?

I can buy groceries from Whole Foods (via Amazon.com) and get them delivered to my home. It might have always been an option but I'm not sure.

Back