Am I right or my wife?

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242990094]We are in a similar situation as you - but I have four kids. I was thinking I could afford a $650k house, that is until I added in the Mella Roos and high HOA fees, which totally pushed it over the top. In the end, I want peace of mind, so I am renting indefinately. Who knows, maybe in a few years, homes I only dreamed of owning may drift down into my price range. Plus, in a few years my youngest will be primed and ready for pre-school, and I can get my butt back to work. By then, I am sure I will have the home of my dreams. Patience.......

Till then, I got a townhome apartment with a 2-car attached garage in my favorite neighborhood in Irvine - so I am thrilled. I get the lifestyle I want, and at half the price of home ownership. As an added bonus, we even get to use a pool I don't have to worry about cleaning.

Life is gooood.</blockquote>

Woodbury Place the largest plan 5 at the end of the paseo?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242990651][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242990094]We are in a similar situation as you - but I have four kids. I was thinking I could afford a $650k house, that is until I added in the Mella Roos and high HOA fees, which totally pushed it over the top. In the end, I want peace of mind, so I am renting indefinately. Who knows, maybe in a few years, homes I only dreamed of owning may drift down into my price range. Plus, in a few years my youngest will be primed and ready for pre-school, and I can get my butt back to work. By then, I am sure I will have the home of my dreams. Patience.......

Till then, I got a townhome apartment with a 2-car attached garage in my favorite neighborhood in Irvine - so I am thrilled. I get the lifestyle I want, and at half the price of home ownership. As an added bonus, we even get to use a pool I don't have to worry about cleaning.

Woodbury Place the largest plan 5 at the end of the paseo?</blockquote>

There goes Bk again with his creepy "I know where you live" lines. He did that to me for so long and he did it so well that I'm convinced he not only knows exactly which house I live in but he knows which house I lived in before I moved to this one. It's just downright creepy.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242990850][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242990651][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242990094]We are in a similar situation as you - but I have four kids. I was thinking I could afford a $650k house, that is until I added in the Mella Roos and high HOA fees, which totally pushed it over the top. In the end, I want peace of mind, so I am renting indefinately. Who knows, maybe in a few years, homes I only dreamed of owning may drift down into my price range. Plus, in a few years my youngest will be primed and ready for pre-school, and I can get my butt back to work. By then, I am sure I will have the home of my dreams. Patience.......

There goes Bk again with his creepy "I know where you live" lines. He did that to me for so long and he did it so well that I'm convinced he not only knows exactly which house I live in but he knows which house I lived in before I moved to this one. It's just downright creepy.</blockquote>

Sorry, I have a photographic memory of every house from Old Town Brea to Lake Forest. Irvine for me is the easiest I just have to memorize 3 houses but at the same time the repetition trapped me into a maze. I ran out of candidates to stalk and that includes Willie.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242990850][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242990651][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242990094]We are in a similar situation as you - but I have four kids. I was thinking I could afford a $650k house, that is until I added in the Mella Roos and high HOA fees, which totally pushed it over the top. In the end, I want peace of mind, so I am renting indefinately. Who knows, maybe in a few years, homes I only dreamed of owning may drift down into my price range. Plus, in a few years my youngest will be primed and ready for pre-school, and I can get my butt back to work. By then, I am sure I will have the home of my dreams. Patience.......

There goes Bk again with his creepy "I know where you live" lines. He did that to me for so long and he did it so well that I'm convinced he not only knows exactly which house I live in but he knows which house I lived in before I moved to this one. It's just downright creepy.</blockquote>

At least he didn't tell you that your house was ugly. Ours is and we know it, but having BK declare it so made it even more so, especially when our two car garage is in the rear and out of view!!

Good news. I showed her everyone's comments and my wife has come around a bit and seems more open to renting.

I guess the question is for those of you who have kids, with the baby and plans to have another one, where is the most affordable and family friendly place to rent a 3 bedroom with washer and dryer hook up with attached parking for two cars on the ground level. (Her criteria-ground level so she doesn't have to climb stairs, carry groceries or do laundry very far while watching the kids) I figure if we are going to rent I should find a super affordable place-so I can save more money. She wants to buy in TR in the long run. I would like to stay in Irvine to minimize commuting.

Should I consider places like Costa Mesa to save money? I'm moving from out of the area so I appreciate everyone's feed back.

[quote author="awgee" date=1242969274]Ditto on your wife is always right.

Why does she think $890,000?</blockquote>

This is a good question. Why $890,000 instead of an even $900,000? She must have done some sort of calculation to get to that number (as opposed to just making an educated (or a not educated) guess).

Gee, this is getting easier and easier all the time. When IHB first started, it took us weeks to convince someone to wait, if we were successful at all. Now it takes one thread and less than a day.

Eggarte - What are the reasons your wife thinks you could afford $890,000? Interest rate? Large down payment? Other?

[quote author="awgee" date=1242969938][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1242969603]In every circumstance, the correct answer to this question is always: <span style="color: blue;"><strong>Your wife is right.</strong></span>

The sooner you acknowledge this simple fact, the better.

-IrvineRealtor</blockquote>

And the trick is to get her to be "right" at $600,000 or less or better yet, make her right to wait.

Just cuz I talk slow, don mean I'm stupid.</blockquote>

I have this picture in my head of you leading your wife in the following chant until you slowly stop chanting and she continues on her own: "If I wait 5 years, I get the big house in Coto. If I wait 5 years, I get the big house in Coto."

[quote author="eggtarte" date=1242992774]Good news. I showed her everyone's comments and my wife has come around a bit and seems more open to renting.

I guess the question is for those of you who have kids, with the baby and plans to have another one, where is the most affordable and family friendly place to rent a 3 bedroom with washer and dryer hook up with attached parking for two cars on the ground level. (Her criteria-ground level so she doesn't have to climb stairs, carry groceries or do laundry very far while watching the kids) I figure if we are going to rent I should find a super affordable place-so I can save more money. She wants to buy in TR in the long run. I would like to stay in Irvine to minimize commuting.

Should I consider places like Costa Mesa to save money? I'm moving from out of the area so I appreciate everyone's feed back.</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/member/1052/">PM Deuce to help you find the place you need</a>. He will be realistic and listen to what you want, and what is out there. If you do business with him... don't be surprised if a beer or five is missing.

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1242995594][quote author="awgee" date=1242969938][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1242969603]In every circumstance, the correct answer to this question is always: <span style="color: blue;"><strong>Your wife is right.</strong></span>

The sooner you acknowledge this simple fact, the better.

-IrvineRealtor</blockquote>

And the trick is to get her to be "right" at $600,000 or less or better yet, make her right to wait.

Just cuz I talk slow, don mean I'm stupid.</blockquote>

I have this picture in my head of you leading your wife in the following chant until you slowly stop chanting and she continues on her own: "If I wait 5 years, I get the big house in Coto. If I wait 5 years, I get the big house in Coto."</blockquote>

Kinda, but I can not be that blatant. It is more a matter of asking questions to lead her into discovering what is best for us so she can tell me.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242990651][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242990094]We are in a similar situation as you - but I have four kids. I was thinking I could afford a $650k house, that is until I added in the Mella Roos and high HOA fees, which totally pushed it over the top. In the end, I want peace of mind, so I am renting indefinately. Who knows, maybe in a few years, homes I only dreamed of owning may drift down into my price range. Plus, in a few years my youngest will be primed and ready for pre-school, and I can get my butt back to work. By then, I am sure I will have the home of my dreams. Patience.......

Turtle Rock Canyon actually.

I know, I know....alot of you don't like Turtle Rock. But I love it - not the homes per se, just the area. I wish I could take one of those Monterrey style houses from Woodbury and implant it in Turtle Rock, but oh well........

[quote author="eggtarte" date=1242992774]Good news. I showed her everyone's comments and my wife has come around a bit and seems more open to renting.

Should I consider places like Costa Mesa to save money? I'm moving from out of the area so I appreciate everyone's feed back.</blockquote>

I am no real estate guru, and only lived in Irvine for one year, so am no expert on the area...... BUT, as a parent I am sure you think about school districts, especially if you plan to stay in your home long term. Well, Irvine has the best school district, or so they say. Every parent has different priorities, but that happens to be at the top of my list because I have four kids, which is why I would like to stay in Irvine. I think you said your wife likes TR - me too. I don't think TR has the best houses, but I love the neighborhood. My kids went to Bonita Canyon and loved it - the before school/after school care is right there next to the school, so convenient. It just gives me a good vibe.

I loved some of the new construction in Woodbury and Portola Springs, but the high base price plus massive Mella Roos and HOA just made the cost to own overblown.

While I am renting I intend on thoroughly exploring and investigating some neighboring areas that people seem to approve of - namely Mission Viejo and RSM. I don't like Ladera - just cannot get past the wires. I will check out Fountain Hills, I think it is. I guess the mid range homes in Newport Coast should be coming down - will keep an eye out there.

But no matter where I look, the schools will be one of my main concerns, then quality of home and price, and location of course. I have never heard anything good about the Costa Mesa School District - but nothing bad either - it just doesn't seem to be on the radar for families with kids looking for homes.

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1243025391]

I know, I know....alot of you don't like Turtle Rock. But I love it - not the homes per se, just the area. I wish I could take one of those Monterrey style houses from Woodbury and implant it in Turtle Rock, but oh well........</blockquote>

I lived in the same complex for a couple years and I'm a fan of Turtle Rock as well. ;)

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1243026233] I have never heard anything good about the Costa Mesa School District - but nothing bad either - it just doesn't seem to be on the radar for families with kids looking for homes.</blockquote>
If you live on the east side you go to Newport Harbor which is pretty good.

egg, I want to officially welcome you to Irvine and the IHB... You just asked the one question mostly everyone here is struggling with... How can I be earning $150K and not able to buy the house my wife wants! We've all been at the problem for the last 3-4 years, some longer, I hope you stick around; some of us are getting pretty close to the answer...

fact is the more you make the more you get killed in taxes. At least you can deduct the mortgage interest...so the difference between a 600K and 800K house may not be as big as you may think if you make 150K.

[quote author="halfnote19" date=1243032224][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1243026233] I have never heard anything good about the Costa Mesa School District - but nothing bad either - it just doesn't seem to be on the radar for families with kids looking for homes.</blockquote>
If you live on the east side you go to Newport Harbor which is pretty good.</blockquote>

<strong>Geez, you all are so Irvine-centric you don't even think about the question/er</strong>

They have an infant. They want to rent for a few years before buying. Schools don't matter for them at this time.

You should be able to rent a nice 3/2 single story house for $2000-$2500 anywhere in central OC. I've even seen nice ones in that range in Laguna Beach! or Irvine, CM, NPB, etc...

One reason for sticking with Irvine is if that is where you ultimately want to live. But maybe this is also an opportunity to see if you might enjoy one of the beach communities more?

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1243044304]<strong>Geez, you all are so Irvine-centric you don't even think about the question/er</strong>

They have an infant. They want to rent for a few years before buying. Schools don't matter for them at this time.

</blockquote>
Baby... no baby... young couple... successful single... retired widower... family of 12... it doesn't matter what you think... IRVINE OR NOTHING!!!

<em>This message was brought to you by Donald Bren and Co.</em>

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1242968390][quote author="eggtarte" date=1242966281]Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on a debate that my wife and I are having.

We are planning on moving to Irvine because of a new job. I will be making $150,000 before taxes. My wife will be staying at home with our one year old and we are planning on having another baby. In otherwords, I will be the sole breadwinner and with 2 babies in the next year or two. My question is with 150K in savings (for a downpayment), how much can we afford to spend on a house? Factoring HOA, property tax, homeowners insurance, utililities,etc. Also keeping in mind my income to support 2 babies and wife. She thinks we can afford a house up to $890,000 max. I think probably less-much less. But how much less not quite sure as those online calculators don't factor in the cost of raising kids. Just wanted to hear from those who have kids with or without homes. Thanks.</blockquote>
You have several options here:

1) Rent for a 1-4 years and let house prices come down

2) Buy a condo under $550k based upon your income and downpayment

3) Buy a home outside of Irvine

3) Tell your wife she is wrong

4) If she is still giving you a hard time...find a new wife</blockquote>

^^^^^

good suggestions

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1243025391][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242990651][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242990094]We are in a similar situation as you - but I have four kids. I was thinking I could afford a $650k house, that is until I added in the Mella Roos and high HOA fees, which totally pushed it over the top. In the end, I want peace of mind, so I am renting indefinately. Who knows, maybe in a few years, homes I only dreamed of owning may drift down into my price range. Plus, in a few years my youngest will be primed and ready for pre-school, and I can get my butt back to work. By then, I am sure I will have the home of my dreams. Patience.......

I know, I know....alot of you don't like Turtle Rock. But I love it - not the homes per se, just the area. I wish I could take one of those Monterrey style houses from Woodbury and implant it in Turtle Rock, but oh well........</blockquote>

Turtle Rock Canyon as I recalled the Townhouse unit has only a single car garage with direct access. Of the entire IAC portfolio only Woodbury Place that has a 2 car attached garage for all units.

Back