Aliso Viejo Discussion Thread

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread. I realized that I forgot to include the price range -- around $600k or under in 2009, or possibly later depending on RE market conditions.

What a great resource!

Schools. I am likely moving to OC next year. The job is in NB, so Irvine + AV seem to be the two housing choices. I have 3 boys who are 8, 4, and 1. Everyone seems to be pretty positive about Irvine schools, no so much for Capistrano District schools. Is there a real difference, at the elementary school level? Will I have to move later to get access to Irvine high schools?

Asian % in the population seems to be positively correlated with school performance, is AV much different from Irvine in this respect (referring to the "diversity" comment above)?

AV is less Asian than Irvine. I don't think Capo district is bad at all (bias alert: I'm a product of that district), and if you're living in Aliso Viejo you're almost certainly feeding into Aliso Niguel High - that's a pretty good school with good parental involvement. It's no University High (Uni and Troy are top public schools, along with the magnet school Oxford Academy), but I would estimate it's at least in the top 10% of high schools in the county in terms of being a quality place to go. It's relatively newer than some other schools (built in the early 90s I believe) and they have nice facilities. I don't know about their elementary schools, but as far as the upper schools, you wouldn't go wrong by going there.

Hi all,

My husband and I are going to be visiting Socal for a month (to decide if and where we want to relocate). The condo that we are planning on renting for one month (vacation rental) is 23412 Pacific Park Drive and it's called Canyon Villas. Does anyone have any experience with this building? Any thoughts would be really apreciated!

Nothing wrong with that complex - it was relatively recently converted to condos from apartments, and they have been having trouble finding buyers (not that that would matter to you). I don't have any direct experience with the complex itself, but it's a good location in Aliso Viejo because you will be very close to the AV Town Center - there's a big movie theater there plus a couple restaurants. Not the most happening place in the world, mind you (lots of junior high and hs kids) but not bad for South County.

<p>surfkitty, </p>

<p>It is in a good location. I would guess your company probably is only less than a mile away from the rental as there are many companies located in Aliso Viejo town center area. The town center is great, and and you can easily jump onto 133 to either go to Irvine or go to Laguan Beach. Also, there is great biking trails in the canyon. </p>

<p>Good luck and Enjoy your stay! </p>

We are looking in Aliso Viejo as well. I lived there before moving to where we are now and I loved the area. The perks are the lower prices and the nice (but cookie cutter) neighborhoods. One of the major drawbacks, though, is the limited access to freeways. The 73 is great, but it can add up and get expensive. Still, it's a very enticing area because you get a little more bang for your buck.

Limited access to freeways I guess depends on exactly where you need to go. I find the access is actually good if you're looking to get to Irvine, because you can take the 133 to the 405 or 5.

As I said before, expect houses to be packed in, and expect to pay mello roos. If you live in Laguna Hills or Laguna Niguel you will most likely not be paying those extra taxes.

I visited Pasadera today....it's the smaller homes on the skinny lots. They have 4 completed homes up for sale. BUT! They have 22 Pasadera houses in construction! 22! Looks like 11 will be finished in 3 months and the other 11 ready in 6 months. Basically doubling Pasadera. Why are they building 22 when they have 4 still left to sell? The only thing I can think of is that they are about to reduce the prices.

Here's the prices (April 29th prices):

Plan 1: 695k

Plan 2: 718k

Plan 3: 760k

The HOA monthly fees are about 180 on build out which includes the AV park fee and the country club. Not too bad. Tax rate is 1.14%. Mello Roos = didn't want to say on paper lol

[quote author="norcal_to_socal" date=1196225284]

Anyone have any thoughts on Pasadera at Glenwood? It's a new construction on the golf course in AV. The prices are around $850k - 950k for house between 2700 - 3100 sqft. The HOA is around $170/month with a ~1.7% property tax (including Mello Roos). I thought the floorplans were actually pretty nice (at least the plan 2).

<a href="http://www.sheahomes.com/main.cfm?dir=findahome&subsec=overview&temp=communityoverview&communityid=610" name="Pasadera at Glenwood - Shea Homes">www.sheahomes.com/main.cfm</a>

After watching the Irvine market for the last 6 months, I'm starting to wonder if I should consider this option, as opposed to continuing to look in Irvine.

</blockquote>

Okay this answers the Mela Roos question...and that's a nice drop in prices...same as Irvine.

150-200k drop! And going down!

Now to think of it. 11 of those new units are facing the main drag; Golf St. Which is bad bad bad news.

The AV pool is going in on the end of road. Hundreds of SUVs will be blasting right in front of your house. Like a Orange County Housewife Paris-Dakar Rally!!

Hopefully, they will install speed bumps of some sort. I can see kids getting ran over.

<span style="color: blue;"><span style="font-size: 15px;">"Like a Orange County Housewife Paris-Dakar Rally!!" </span></span>

Awesome!! ROFLMAO!!!!!

[quote author="CM_Dude" date=1209946134]<span style="color: blue;"><span style="font-size: 15px;">"Like a Orange County Housewife Paris-Dakar Rally!!" </span></span>

Awesome!! ROFLMAO!!!!!</blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAA

I'm looking at low-end townhomes in Aliso Viejo on Moulton Pkwy between El Toro and Glenwood. How's the area there? Under $300K seems like a deal? Any thoughts?

[quote author="poorgovworker" date=1210221890]I'm looking at low-end townhomes in Aliso Viejo on Moulton Pkwy between El Toro and Glenwood. How's the area there? Under $300K seems like a deal? Any thoughts?</blockquote>

Don't know, I've seen a few and while the area looks ok, I'd look into Mello Roos. What kinda monthly budget do you have in mind?

-bix

[quote author="poorgovworker" date=1210221890]I'm looking at low-end townhomes in Aliso Viejo on Moulton Pkwy between El Toro and Glenwood. How's the area there? Under $300K seems like a deal? Any thoughts?</blockquote>

Your getting closer every day. The units around where we used to live in Glenwood Park were going for as high as $560K at the peak.

http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=25666381

And this one has the "greenbelt view" in the back.

I think this Bank owned may finally be sold. I think they may get down to $ 300K but below that and the carnage is going to be huge for all the young families that bought in this area

in the last 8 years. Blood in the streets time.

Sale History

02/21/2008: $405,000

09/21/2005: $560,000

07/21/2000: $232,000

biscuit, can afford up to $2,500 including HOA & taxes. That's why I'm looking at everything under $300k. There are tons of them in that area. I'm looking at 3bed/2bath.

As I have some interest in one part of Aliso Viejo, I am going to start tracking prices in 92656. My search starts at 2000sf and above... There are a ton in escrow now which went under contract recently so we'll see just what kind of rollbacks that area has very soon.

I only have one property so far, <a href="http://www.ipoplaya.com/avshiller.xls">but the spreadsheet can be found here</a>.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1210292049]As I have some interest in one part of Aliso Viejo, I am going to start tracking prices in 92656. My search starts at 2000sf and above... There are a ton in escrow now which went under contract recently so we'll see just what kind of rollbacks that area has very soon.

I only have one property so far, <a href="http://www.ipoplaya.com/avshiller.xls">but the spreadsheet can be found here</a>.</blockquote>

The rollbacks will be severe in Aliso as a whole. A number of REOs have been hitting the market at large discounts, and it looks like there is a demand for these kinds of properties. They are still overpriced relative to fundamentals, but it looks like the knife catchers are out in force.

[quote author="caliguy2699" date=1210294925][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1210292049]As I have some interest in one part of Aliso Viejo, I am going to start tracking prices in 92656. My search starts at 2000sf and above... There are a ton in escrow now which went under contract recently so we'll see just what kind of rollbacks that area has very soon.

I only have one property so far, <a href="http://www.ipoplaya.com/avshiller.xls">but the spreadsheet can be found here</a>.</blockquote>

The rollbacks will be severe in Aliso as a whole. A number of REOs have been hitting the market at large discounts, and it looks like there is a demand for these kinds of properties. They are still overpriced relative to fundamentals, but it looks like the knife catchers are out in force.</blockquote>

Holy mother of MLS. I finally dug deeper into my AV 92656 search results. There are 66 properties over 2000sf that popped up and 20 of them are in escrow. Almost a third of the 2000sf + places are under contract... Sure doesn't sound like a prelude to big price drops. Maybe they are all REOs that took lowball prices. That would be cool...

Back