Advice for couple shopping in the 525-600k price range? (Irvine/Tustin Ranch)

We found the resale homes we looked at in the sub 700k needed enough work or didn't have a garage that it wasn't actually a better value for us. Not sure what OP found but I would guess it's similar in the 525-600k range.

irvinehomeowner said:
Have you found any decent resale in your price range?

I know many prefer new but I think resale is a better value.

We?re sort of in the same boat as moc. The resales just haven?t been up to our standards and the ones that are are not that much less per month than a new townhouse.

There are pluses with the resales we?ve seen like a small porch/backyard, two stories instead of 3, less condensed in some neighborhoods. These almost always have had some major deterrent like 1.5 baths or only a one car garage and carport. The ones we like are basically the same cost of a new townhouse, albeit often a bit less $/sqft, but it hasn?t been a big enough discount for us to jump on any.

This was exactly our experience as well. A small yard or patio did not outweigh no garage or one car garage.

Also I guess we're unusual but we actually prefer the 3 story layout because it gives a lot of privacy to the guest room. And we've lived in townhomes before with the kitchen on the second floor and I actually like it quite a lot.

TheDoctor said:
irvinehomeowner said:

We?re sort of in the same boat as moc. The resales just haven?t been up to our standards and the ones that are are not that much less per month than a new townhouse.

There are pluses with the resales we?ve seen like a small porch/backyard, two stories instead of 3, less condensed in some neighborhoods. These almost always have had some major deterrent like 1.5 baths or only a one car garage and carport. The ones we like are basically the same cost of a new townhouse, albeit often a bit less $/sqft, but it hasn?t been a big enough discount for us to jump on any.

As a helicopter parent. I guess the medical field won?t be the direction for my little one.

Like huge debt (big time)

eyephone said:
I thought doctors make bank?
Let me ask you this. Do you drive like a nice car? If you didn?t drive a nice car. Maybe your budget will be bigger.
I assume you don?t drive a beater.

(Just a question nothing more)

My statement to young folks out of college. Sometimes in life you have to make sacrifices. like don?t eat out, buy things on sale, watch Netflix instead of going to the movies. My favorite get another job or your spouse has to work for Mo? Money.

Since I?m on a roll. There?s nothing wrong with renting to save up money or living with family or having roommates.
Also, don?t blame people for lack of execution.

TheDoctor said:
Been reasoning a fair bit on here over the past few months and thought I?d finally participate and ask for some advice.

We have been looking at houses for a few months now including new developments. The main concern for us is proximity to Tustin Ranch as that is where my parents live and we?ll need to be near them if we have a child.

We have narrowed down our needs quite a bit in the past few months, but haven?t found anything we really want that bad. Which is fine since prices and rates have been dropping a bit.

- 2 bed, 2 bath min
- preferably >1200?
- attached garage

This has eventually led us back to the new developments that we first started looking at when we started in Portola (Carissa/Brisa), Novel Park, and eventually Levity in Tustin. These are a bit above our initial price range, especially with the mello roos, but haven?t been that impressed with the resale homes were seen.

What communities should we keep an eye on in our budget. We are not opposed to an older place, but would prefer to not have to deal the potential issues of a 1970s townhouse down the road.

Do you see the low end units of the new developments as worth it or should we stick to resales to avoid mello roos?

I also see a lot of talk about avoiding 3-level homes, but so far we haven?t seen many 2-levels with attached garages in the area that fit our budget. How much of a downside to resale is a 3 vs 2 level townhouse?

For a second, I thought you gonna say, just wait for the slow down. :)

eyephone said:
As a helicopter parent. I guess the medical field won?t be the direction for my little one.

eyephone said:
Let me ask you this. Do you drive like a nice car? If you didn?t drive a nice car. Maybe your budget will be bigger.

My statement to young folks out of college. Sometimes in life you have to make sacrifices. like don?t eat out, buy things on sale, watch Netflix instead of going to the movies. My favorite get another job or your spouse has to work for Mo? Money.

Since I?m on a roll. There?s nothing wrong with renting to save up money or living with family or having roommates.

TheDoctor said:
Been reasoning a fair bit on here over the past few months and thought I?d finally participate and ask for some advice.

We have been looking at houses for a few months now including new developments. The main concern for us is proximity to Tustin Ranch as that is where my parents live and we?ll need to be near them if we have a child.

We have narrowed down our needs quite a bit in the past few months, but haven?t found anything we really want that bad. Which is fine since prices and rates have been dropping a bit.

- 2 bed, 2 bath min
- preferably >1200?
- attached garage

This has eventually led us back to the new developments that we first started looking at when we started in Portola (Carissa/Brisa), Novel Park, and eventually Levity in Tustin. These are a bit above our initial price range, especially with the mello roos, but haven?t been that impressed with the resale homes were seen.

What communities should we keep an eye on in our budget. We are not opposed to an older place, but would prefer to not have to deal the potential issues of a 1970s townhouse down the road.

Do you see the low end units of the new developments as worth it or should we stick to resales to avoid mello roos?

I also see a lot of talk about avoiding 3-level homes, but so far we haven?t seen many 2-levels with attached garages in the area that fit our budget. How much of a downside to resale is a 3 vs 2 level townhouse?

Cares said:
If a house doesn't rent well, it also doesn't sell well. 3 stories should be avoided if possible because it is a pretty big limiting factor on potential buyers/renters.

Not necessarily.  Renters are local for obvious reason, but buyers can be from outside area or abroad.  Investors may be willing to buy if numbers make sense, even if it's 3 stories.

This 3 level condo was put on the market at high price and sold in a week recently:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3602-Orangewood-92618/home/5841172

Actually I could of said that too. Because it has already happened and is still happening. Rates are like really low. But like what?s happening?

Repeal the tax code. It?s not working. It was just revealed one of the top tech company paid like zero taxes! How about the average tax payer? Indvidials like paid more in taxes during the new tax code than last year.

Compressed-Village said:

eyephone said:

eyephone said:

TheDoctor said:

- 2 bed, 2 bath min
- preferably >1200?
- attached garage

Really unfair. Like I said before. The small guy is getting shafted. My statement are backed by facts and numbers.

eyephone said:
Actually I could of said that too. Because it has already happened.

Repeal the tax code. It?s not working. It was just revealed one of the top tech company paid like zero taxes! How about the average tax payer? Indvidials like paid more in taxes during the new tax code than last year.

Compressed-Village said:

eyephone said:

eyephone said:

TheDoctor said:

- 2 bed, 2 bath min
- preferably >1200?
- attached garage

TheDoctor said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Just did a quick Redfin search and it seems like this is the case.

I thought during the slowdown you can get bargains... maybe not. :)

misme said:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/103-Terra-Bella-92602/home/5757455

How about this one? It seems to check all your boxes (including budget and relatively newer) and is also closer to Tustin Ranch than the new developments in Portola/Great Park. Could use some cosmetic updates, but probably not getting into structural stuff at that age.
Northpark is a really nice gated community.

We?ve checked out terra Bella a couple times and didnt like it. We?d be open to looking at more units there, but so far it?s lower on the list of communities we want.

Portola springs is really as far as we?d want to go. About 15 min from my parents so still convenient.

If we were looking I would have issues with that kitchen. It's really tiny and I could not live with those counters. How would you keep them clean with that tile grout?

Also I can't tell if it has an attached garage.

I agree it could use cosmetic upgrades, but dude, how hard is it to switch out counters?

I don't understand the obsession in California with brand new construction in general. My spouse, a Californian, who has never lived in "used housing", as they put it, insisted on buying brand new construction. I caved. But in my heart of hearts, I think an established neighborhood with mature landscaping, more breathing room between houses, and custom renovation of the older homes is a better place to call home. Believe me, there can be a lot of problems with new construction, from personal experience!

The layout of new neighborhoods (sardine can boxes) leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO.
Dated interior finishes are relatively easy to fix.
Bad neighborhood design is forever.

That's why Turtle Rock maintains its value even though its one of the oldest neighborhoods in Irvine.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you are making a choice between older and dated finishes, versus brand new (with high HOA/Mello) but cramped 3 story layouts in order to stay within budget, I would go with the more desirable neighborhood/location.

No I totally hear you. It's not that hard to do some cosmetic upgrades. It's all just factors in the decision calculation.

I'm not from California. I grew up in houses built in the 1800s. I like newer homes because they are built for modern life. Closets, garages, laundry near your bedroom, enough outlets. I grew up with none of those things but it's so much better having them. But by my standards almost everything in Irvine is newer :) I definitely did not plan on new construction when we started looking, it was just the best fit for us based on our criteria.

moc said:
No I totally hear you. It's not that hard to do some cosmetic upgrades. It's all just factors in the decision calculation.

I'm not from California. I grew up in houses built in the 1800s. I like newer homes because they are built for modern life. Closets, garages, laundry near your bedroom, enough outlets. I grew up with none of those things but it's so much better having them. But by my standards almost everything in Irvine is newer :) I definitely did not plan on new construction when we started looking, it was just the best fit for us based on our criteria.

where did you grow up? (Living in houses built in 1800s)

Philadelphia. I think the newest house we lived in was built in the 1920s. The house I lived in most of my childhood was built in the 1860s.

eyephone said:
moc said:

moc said:
Philadelphia. I think the newest house we lived in was built in the 1920s. The house I lived in most of my childhood was built in the 1860s.

eyephone said:
moc said:

I love those old Philly style houses with the super tall ceiling and windows like Rittenhouse area.

I am also from a major East Coast city where "prewar" (i.e. before WWII) construction is considered the good stuff, and also much more sound proof (none of this wood frame construction here)

Did you live in a row house? Gotta love that Philly architecture.

moc said:

eyephone said:
moc said:

It was a twin.

The architecture and exteriors are awesome. Plumbing, electrical, closets, etc... Not so much

iacrenter said:
Did you live in a row house? Gotta love that Philly architecture.

moc said:

eyephone said:
moc said:

Back