Admission to UCLA and Berkeley

[quote author="PANDA" date=1234240643]Here is my next question: Out of all the people you know, who is more successful? A Trojan or a Bruin? I knew one friend from Cali who had a 2.9 GPA and 980 SAT score and ended up going to SC. Another childhood friend who had a 3.8 GPA and 1340 SAT ended up going to UCLA. Suprisingly, my Trojan friend is far more successful than my other Bruin friend by a wide margin today? Isn't that weird?</blockquote>

And you think that is all based upon which school they went to?

When I attended UCLA there were minority admission quotas, even if that is not what they were called.

In 1996, the voters of California passed propostion 209 which ended affirmative action programs in CA, and the UC system. It is currently illegal to use race as an admission factor in the UC system. But, many applicants reveal their ethnicity in the essay portion of the application and rumor is that ethnicity is considered.

Some minority populations in the UC system have decreased dramatically since the passage of prop 209, especially at UCLA. The Asian population has increased.

My oldest daughter graduates from UCLA in May. :cheese:

I am proud of her.

If any of my daughters hint that they may care to attend USC, they will be disowned. :p

[quote author="PANDA" date=1234240643]Here is my next question: Out of all the people you know, who is more successful? A Trojan or a Bruin? I knew one friend from Cali who had a 2.9 GPA and 980 SAT score and ended up going to SC. Another childhood friend who had a 3.8 GPA and 1340 SAT ended up going to UCLA. Suprisingly, my Trojan friend is far more successful than my other Bruin friend by a wide margin today? Isn't that weird?</blockquote>

Generally, SC grads make more money. Generally, SC grads are better connected.

Generally, UCLA grads make a more positive difference in the world. And are way brighter.

Before you say anything about me, let me beat you to it and remind you that I said generally, and there are always exceptions.

Any public university in California heavily favors residents who are Black or Hispanic. If it didn't, there'll eventually no longer be any diversity at its school.

Asian and White students are way too abundant at these schools.

What I don't get is why are the selective schools getting more selective while the general student population is doing poorer than before?

Success in life is determined by your own personal drive and common sense; books can't teach that. I graduated with plenty of individuals that had the 4.0 and were decked out with ribbons displaying various greeks. Sadly to say most of those individuals didn't grow up to be as successful as one would expect them to be because of the lack of drive and common sense.

Academic knowledge is less than 1/3 of your success. Your USC friend probably came from a wealthier family, or they wouldn't have splurged on USC tuition, and wealthier families tend to have better connections to help their kids land nice jobs.

[quote author="awgee" date=1234243616]When I attended UCLA there were minority admission quotas, even if that is not what they were called.

In 1996, the voters of California passed propostion 209 which ended affirmative action programs in CA, and the UC system. It is currently illegal to use race as an admission factor in the UC system. But, many applicants reveal their ethnicity in the essay portion of the application and rumor is that ethnicity is considered.

Some minority populations in the UC system have decreased dramatically since the passage of prop 209, especially at UCLA. The Asian population has increased.

I am proud of her.

If any of my daughters hint that they may care to attend USC, they will be disowned. :p</blockquote>

That stupid proposition 209 can kiss Panda's big black butt. Perhaps if changed my last name to "Parker" from "Park" and checked the "caucasion" box I would of been accepted to UCLA in 1994. I know my digits were higher than some of my Cali friends who got in that year.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1234252520][quote author="awgee" date=1234243616]When I attended UCLA there were minority admission quotas, even if that is not what they were called.

I am proud of her.

If any of my daughters hint that they may care to attend USC, they will be disowned. :p</blockquote>

That stupid proposition 209 can kiss Panda's big black butt. Perhaps if changed my last name to "Parker" from "Park" and checked the "caucasion" box I would of been accepted to UCLA in 1994. I know my digits were higher than some of my Cali friends who got in that year.</blockquote>

Maybe I was unclear. Prop 209 removed affirmative action quotas and the Asian population thus increased in the UC system. Prop 209 was the Asian's friend as it removed limits on the number of Asians who could attend.

[quote author="awgee" date=1234253540][quote author="PANDA" date=1234252520][quote author="awgee" date=1234243616]When I attended UCLA there were minority admission quotas, even if that is not what they were called.

I am proud of her.

That stupid proposition 209 can kiss Panda's big black butt. Perhaps if changed my last name to "Parker" from "Park" and checked the "caucasion" box I would of been accepted to UCLA in 1994. I know my digits were higher than some of my Cali friends who got in that year.</blockquote>

Maybe I was unclear. Prop 209 removed affirmative action quotas and the Asian population thus increased in the UC system. Prop 209 was the Asian's friend as it removed limits on the number of Asians who could attend.</blockquote>

i know what you are saying Awgee, I am just trying start some unnecessary "non-sense". Prop 209 did not exist when i applied in 1994. It was quite funny back then. If a student was applying and was even 1/10 hispanic, they would check the hispanic box back then. Seriously, one of my white friends got in with a much lower GPA and test scores and totally ripped on my Chinese friend who didn't get in with higher scores. It was so ridiculous, we all joked around about it. Poor Chinese dude ended up going to UCI.

[quote author="awgee" date=1234253540][quote author="PANDA" date=1234252520][quote author="awgee" date=1234243616]When I attended UCLA there were minority admission quotas, even if that is not what they were called.

I am proud of her.

Maybe I was unclear. Prop 209 removed affirmative action quotas and the Asian population thus increased in the UC system. Prop 209 was the Asian's friend as it removed limits on the number of Asians who could attend.</blockquote>

Well, it certainly appears as though you?ve taken the air out of Panda?s sails.

He was wrongfully trying to place blame on Caucasians named Parker for denying him acceptance into UCLA.

Turns out that wasn't even the case, imagine that.

[quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1234245304]Success in life is determined by your own personal drive and common sense; books can't teach that. I graduated with plenty of individuals that had the 4.0 and were decked out with ribbons displaying various greeks. Sadly to say most of those individuals didn't grow up to be as successful as one would expect them to be because of the lack of drive and common sense.</blockquote>
Agreed, the school and the grades open the door for the person but it is up to that person to kick the door down and run through it. It's ambition, drive, and common sense that count a lot more than book smarts.

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1234255058][quote author="awgee" date=1234253540][quote author="PANDA" date=1234252520][quote author="awgee" date=1234243616]When I attended UCLA there were minority admission quotas, even if that is not what they were called.

I am proud of her.

Well, it certainly appears as though you?ve taken the air out of Panda?s sails.

He was wrongfully trying to place blame on Caucasians named Parker for denying him acceptance into UCLA.

Turns out that wasn't even the case, imagine that.</blockquote>

Ten, there was affirmative action in 1994 and 1995 when i applied to UCLA. Prop 209 eliminated affirmative action in 1996. So I don't understand what you mean by Awgee taking the air out of Panda's sails.

I am proud of her.

I wonder if anyone ever lied on their application in terms of what ethnicity they were to get an advantage? Also, how and would the school verify their ethnicity and would they get kicked out if the school found out they lied about their ethnic background? I also wonder if that student would have a potential case for discrimination/racism against the UC system?

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1234255525][quote author="awgee" date=1234253540][quote author="PANDA" date=1234252520][quote author="awgee" date=1234243616]When I attended UCLA there were minority admission quotas, even if that is not what they were called.

I am proud of her.

I wonder if anyone ever lied on their application in terms of what ethnicity they were to get an advantage? Also, how and would the school verify their ethnicity and would they get kicked out if the school found out they lied about their ethnic background? I also wonder if that student would have a potential case for discrimination/racism against the UC system?</blockquote>

Trojan, It was weird as i remember it clearly. You had to specify what type of Asian you were and it was required (not optional) So before Prop 209, I wonder what UCLA's admission criteria was in deciding who was admitted and who was not. Were Asians grouped with other Asians? Hispanics grouped with other Hispanics? Before Prop 209, UCLA had 50-55% Caucasion and 25-30% Asian students. Today, it is more like 40% Asian and 30% Caucasion. The black students make up only 2% this year, which is ridiculously low. Correct me if i am wrong Trojan, but he black students made up of almost 10% of UCLA in 1994.

First, I'd like to say that I didn't want to go to UCLA (too big...I'd be just a number and fight for classes) or Cal (It rains there. Hello!) or USC (my dad said "well, it's great as long as you never leave campus" and that helped me decide not to apply). Based on my "stats" getting into any of those schools would not have been a problem. Sometimes you have to not worry about prestige and what other people think and just go where you will be happy. Yes, this applies to undergrad. Grad school is less of a transitional time for most people anyway, so different rules apply.

Also, which school you want to go to should be determined by your major. Different schools have different strengths.

[quote author="GrewUpInIrvine" date=1234159782]

Also, on the junior college transfer thing and then going to a Cal or UCLA: a very smart financial move.</blockquote>

This is soooo true. I was a peer academic advisor for a year at UCI. When I discovered that all these transfer students only had to do their IGETC work at the CC to cover all their GE at UCI, I felt gypped. They got to take the lame-ass required classes at the easier (and I didn't care, but cheaper) school, and they would be getting the same degree as me in the end. Not only that, their GPA didn't carry over. It would matter for grad school (or so I'm told) and to get into UCI to begin with, but other than that your record was wiped clean. I was third, and the top 2 graduates ahead of me in my class were both transfer students whose CC grades weren't counted. I counselled one guy so I know he still got great grades in CC, but still I felt more gypped.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1234254559] Poor Chinese dude ended up going to UCI.</blockquote>

[quote author="skek" date=1234234931]I'm a firm believer that a motivated student can excel at any undergraduate school, or even a JC/CC. Sure, certain schools will open more doors, but I'd take a top student from an average college over a middling student at a top college any day. I agree with previous posters who pointed out that the "right" school is much, much more important at the grad school level.</blockquote>

I was perfectly happy at UCI. I am still perfectly happy with my education. I work with other UCI graduates and I wonder what is going on between their ears and how they got the same degree as me. The person, and their intelligence and drive, will determine their success in school and afterwards.

I applied and was accepted to both Cal and UCLA right before prop 209 was enforced. I know of approximately 8 other classmates who got into both UCLA and Cal, 2 got UCLA but no Cal--none vice versa. So I was under the impression that it was more difficult to get into Cal than UCLA (at least at that time).

The timing of 209 was unfortunate for many of my close asian friends who got rejected by Cal/UCLA while an african american friend with significantly lower SATs, equivalent or less extra-curricular activities, lower GPA got in. What a slap in the face since we all grew up together.

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1234243473][quote author="Irvine_Lurker" date=1234243193][quote author="PANDA" date=1234240643]who is more successful? A Trojan or a Bruin?</blockquote>

Depends. If they go into the NFL - Trojans. The NBA - Bruins. :)</blockquote>

A degree from UCLA is on par with a certificate from the Learning Annex</blockquote>

Wow, this is coming from the guy who posted "What?s the difference between median household income and average household income?" I think I learned that in the 5th grade, btw. They don't call USC the University of the Stupid Chinese for nothing.

Lol, j/k. I have a bunch of SC friends. They on a whole seem alot more entrepeneural than my friends at UCLA. My UCLA friends went on to become dr's lawyers accountants and programmers.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1234256179][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1234255525][quote author="awgee" date=1234253540][quote author="PANDA" date=1234252520][quote author="awgee" date=1234243616]When I attended UCLA there were minority admission quotas, even if that is not what they were called.

I am proud of her.

I wonder if anyone ever lied on their application in terms of what ethnicity they were to get an advantage? Also, how and would the school verify their ethnicity and would they get kicked out if the school found out they lied about their ethnic background? I also wonder if that student would have a potential case for discrimination/racism against the UC system?</blockquote>

Trojan, It was weird as i remember it clearly. You had to specify what type of Asian you were and it was required (not optional) So before Prop 209, I wonder what UCLA's admission criteria was in deciding who was admitted and who was not. Were Asians grouped with other Asians? Hispanics grouped with other Hispanics? Before Prop 209, UCLA had 50-55% Caucasion and 25-30% Asian students. Today, it is more like 40% Asian and 30% Caucasion. The black students make up only 2% this year, which is ridiculously low. Correct me if i am wrong Trojan, but he black students made up of almost 10% of UCLA in 1994.</blockquote>
I think the black students represented like 7-8% of the population in 1994 and hispanic students represented 12-13% of the population in 1994 (I believe native americans were a little over 1%).

Wow!, I would of loved to attend a school with this much ethnic diversity. I think that is the reason why I love Irvine so much.

UCLA 2007 UNDERGRADUATE PROFILE

TOTAL ENROLLMENT 25,928

Women 14,349 55%

Men 11,579 45%

RACE ETHNICITY

African American / Black 865 3%

American Indian / Alaskan Native 108 <1%

Asian / Pacific Islander 9,968 38%

Hispanic 3,812 15%

International 1,075 4%

White 8,861 34%

Race/Ethnicity unknown 1,239 5%

GEOGRAPHIC DISTRIBUTION

California 24,307 94%

Other US (44 states and DC) 9 47 4%

Other Countries (63 countries) 6 74 3%

Average age 21

Percent of Undergrads age 25 or Older 6%

[quote author="PANDA" date=1234263185]Wow!, I would of loved to attend a school with this much ethnic diversity. I think that is the reason why I love Irvine so much.

</blockquote>

I hate to sound obtuse, but why does ethnic diversity matter? People are just people. What is gained by categorizing them?

Back