Additional Cost and Options for New Home Purchase

How much did you spedn over the brochure price when you purchased new home in Irvine recently?

• less than $10,000

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • $10,000 ~ $20,000

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • $20,000 ~ $30,000

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • $30,000 ~ $50,000

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • more than $50,000

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
pricedoutJay said:
incognito said:
Looking at this poll result seems to suggest the majority are $1m+ property owners. I feel poor ??? ...lol

Exactly how I felt even though I'm making pretty descent salary and living.  Maybe this is a sign that my goal/happiness of life should be something other than brand new house in Irvine (jk)

Pretty hard not to go to $1 million for a house in Irvine.

NYT said:
Irvinecommuter said:
NYT said:
qwerty said:
the design centers typically recommend 10% in upgrades through them. they said after that the homes have a harder time appraising.

Not to get off topic, but the appraisal process for a new home is a total scam to get a few more dollars out of you (or, I should say, a few hundred dollars). I did a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of upgrades through the design center and my home appraised for the exact to-the-dollar odd-dollar amount that I had purchased the home for (base cost + cost of upgrades through design center). I needed to pay someone to tell me that they could punch in two numbers in a calculator?

It seems silly but it is necessary for a 3rd party appraisal for the loan process.  Frank-Dodd requires independent appraisal.

Also, it is basically impossible for an appraiser to do a appraisal for a new home as there are no comps.  The price that you paid is the best estimate because...someone (you) is willing to pay it.  Also, you wouldn't want the appraiser to find the value to be lower than what you are paying for it because you wouldn't qualify.

I don't disagree that it's needed. What irks me is the several hundred dollars I paid for this estimate when it required no work on the part of the appraiser. The appraiser sat there, punched in 2 numbers into a calculator and collected several hundred dollars for that 1 minute of work. That's what I should be doing: An appraiser for new homes. Corner the market. Become an expert at punching in numbers into a calculator for several hundred dollars a pop.
Having worked in banking, I can tell you that federal banking regulations require an appraisal when making loans residential homes whether they be for new homes or for resale homes.  The lender selects the appraiser, not the builder.  It would be a good idea to inquire what their typical cost is for an appraisal (3rd party not related to the lender) from the lender.

incognito said:
Looking at this poll result seems to suggest the majority are $1m+ property owners. I feel poor ??? ...lol

Well the poll doesn't specify if it's asking for just design center upgrades or design center + outside vendors upgrades.  If it's the latter it's hard not to be in the 50k zone.  Especially with landscaping costs.

ZeroLot said:
incognito said:

Well the poll doesn't specify if it's asking for just design center upgrades or design center + outside vendors upgrades.  If it's the latter it's hard not to be in the 50k zone.  Especially with landscaping costs.

we cant all afford 50k in landscaping (j/k) :p

Chairman said:
ZeroLot said:
incognito said:

we cant all afford 50k in landscaping (j/k) :p

Your house and backyard are bigger than mine ... All your upgrades (design center + 3rd party) and backyard will go over the 50k easy.

Look at how much you spent on those LED lightbulbs alone.  :p

ukuoy said:
IP design center upgrade $15,000-$20,000 (half of it was spent on countertop)
Landscape $8,000
Shutters and blinds $1,500

Upgrade ~$20,000 means kinda big sfh, but just $8,000 for landscape? I bet you have upgraded trellis to Conservatory or California Room then...

sunbaby said:
ukuoy said:
Landscape $8,000

Upgrade ~$20,000 means kinda big sfh, but just $8,000 for landscape? I bet you have upgraded trellis to Conservatory or California Room then...

$8,000 is possible, if they get concrete.

eyephone said:
sunbaby said:
ukuoy said:
Landscape $8,000

$8,000 is possible, if they get concrete.

Yup a LOT of concrete. 

OCgasman said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I must really be a 99%er.

If I'm buying a brand new home and it cost more than $1m, I don't see why I would have to pay another $300k. The $1m+ should include some of that high end stuff already.

#1stworldproblems
They do include some hi end stuff.  But, everyone likes to customize to their taste.  Let's do an example.

3500 5 bedroom SFR

$15,000 for a conservatory option
$15,000 for prep kitchen or craft room
$10,000 for bifold doors
$3000 for added insulation
$4000 for recessed lighting
$4000 for water softener
$1000 for j-boxes for ceiling fans and chandeliers
$7000 for upgraded cabinetry
$7000 for upgraded countertops and splash
$10,000 for built in fridge
$3000 for undercounter fridge or 2nd dishwasher
$10,000 for upgraded stair system
$60,000 for flooring
$5,000 for bathroom surrounds
$1000-$5000 for surround wiring and/or whole house audio
Lots more options that will nickel and dime you to death like extra outlets, on demand pump, paint, trim, window treatments, closet organizers, etc.

It's so easy to spend over $150k right off the bat if you wanna customize a hi end home and don't watch the bottom line.  Most ppl will have to make compromises, unless they have deep pockets.

And we haven't even talked about the driveway, porch and backyard yet.

hey gasman,
did you make up those numbers or were these actual numbers from an actual house.  As a side note, what type of flooring costs 60K for a 3500 sq ft home?

meccos12 said:
hey gasman,
did you make up those numbers or were these actual numbers from an actual house.  As a side note, what type of flooring costs 60K for a 3500 sq ft home?

To quote Shaggy..."it wasn't me" :)

gasman said:
meccos12 said:
hey gasman,

To quote Shaggy..."it wasn't me" :)

you mind me asking you which builder was charging that?  Also are you an anesthesiologist by any chance?

When we were looking at Pulte's Hawthorne, we had access to their website that listed upgrade and prices and those amounts seem inline with his numbers.

We would have had to even pay for a hose bib and gas stub to the backyard. I couldn't get much under $40K without even counting flooring. Add in window coverings, landscaping, etc and I can easily see at least an additional $200K outlay and that is not a large yard.

We spent $200K on our house in 1998 and the house was only $580K.

Ready2Downsize said:
When we were looking at Pulte's Hawthorne, we had access to their website that listed upgrade and prices and those amounts seem inline with his numbers.

We would have had to even pay for a hose bib and gas stub to the backyard. I couldn't get much under $40K without even counting flooring. Add in window coverings, landscaping, etc and I can easily see at least an additional $200K outlay and that is not a large yard.

We spent $200K on our house in 1998 and the house was only $580K.

200K on a 600K house is nuts, but Im sure your house was awesome.  I think cost of new builds are so misleading because these upgrades will tack on a huge cost.  New builds sound like a great idea at first, but the more and more I look into upgrades, the value seems horrible...

Im hoping someone can shed a light on why the cabinet finish upgrades are so expensive.  I saw a cabinet upgrade for 3k, but the same cabinet in a different finish and color is 13k.  Really?  10k difference just for the finish and color?  Am I missing something here?  I feel like I can easily hire someone to repaint and coat the cabinets for a fraction of that...

We paid the builder only $20K which included some electrical upgrades, cabinet upgrades and stair rail upgrades.

The rest we did after escrow.

At that time, granite was not standard, so we ripped out the dal white tiles in the kitchen and master bedroom counters and replaced with granite, marble.

The secondary bathroom backsplashes and shower walls were upgraded with colored tile insets (we paid a Standard Pacific tile setter to pop out some of the old tiles and replace with what we wanted........ this is how they fix tilework that needs repair after it's done......... had zero problems and save a ton). He even gave us tile that was leftover from other jobs which he said they routinely throw away. Not sure if you can go on a job and talk to employees any more but 17 years ago, I was not the only one hiring Standard Pacific workers on their days off.

We got a carpet credit for no flooring and put in marble in most of the downstairs along with a design that included the granite in the kitchen counters (I wanted hardwood but hubby won out....... Still wish I did hardwood but marble came out well). We picked our marble and granite slabs. (We probably would have just paid the builder but they refused to put in the type we wanted, which set us off on finding out how much upgrades would be after we closed). Ended up being cheaper to tear out and replace than pay the builder for granite kitchen counters and way cheaper for the flooring.

Carpet was a huge bargain. We went to the same company that Standard Pac was using and got it for major cheap.

We put in a custom trophy cabinet where the builder had changed a closet into a small wine closet.

Added a coffered ceiling to the dining room (way more detail than the builder had for half the cost........ my cabinet guy said he would have priced it higher after he had done the work).

Downstairs bedroom got the closet removed and built in desks and shelves again more than the builder's model had for less than half the cost the builder wanted and instead of veneer sides over pressboard we have maple hardwood. When I'm not working in it (I use it as an office and craftroom so it can get messy if I'm busy), it hides lots of stuff........ printers and scanners are all on pull out shelves).

All bedrooms, family room and the bonus room have recessed lights and fans. Dining room also has recessed lights in the coffered ceiling. I have no lamps anywhere in my house.

We had the entire house painted with higher quality Dunn Edwards paint, in two tones after we closed. Builder wouldn't let us choose the paint we wanted. Again cheaper than the builders cheaper paint.

The bedroom with the extra sitting area got a nice built in desk that wraps around two walls with wainscoting along all the walls. We didn't ask what the builder wanted but I'm sure we saved money.

The master bedroom had a couple wall cutouts so we finished those off and added built in nightstands and a finshed wall behind the bed.

The master shower and bathtub got all their tile ripped out and marble installed.

The four car garage has epoxy coating.

The family room got built ins along the wall which match the kitchen cabinets.

We have lots of windows, most have shutters.

And then there was the hardscape.

It took a couple months for all the interior work to be done, way more for the hardscape but by the time I paid the last check to the hardscape guy the base price for the houses currently being sold with smaller lots against a road were more than I spent for my entire house.

All in all I think we got a major bargain.

It's in Irvine. No toilet upgrades.

My house is no more upgraded than other peoples (I walked into every house being built which at the time you could easily do........ no cameras, etc).

20K to the builder. Really it was their fault we didn't just pay them outright. They were not helpful at all. We had to put in a request for each and every item and pay $50 to be considered. Some things they refused to take a request on, like type of granite.

It turns out that someone from our old neighborhood had bought in the phase before ours and he was the one who convinced me to check into getting work done on my own. (and he was the one who gave me the courage to seek out workers from Stand Pac). We used the tile guy and drywall guy.

I already had a cabinet maker that I had worked with on the house I lived in, so I had him give me quotes for everything before the house foundation was laid based on the model.

Oh forgot........ we have four deadspace areas in the bonus room. They could be closets for a cost. I wasn't sure if we wanted to do it or not and we missed the cutoff. They had to frame it differently to put in doors and another homeowner noticed they framed it for the doors. The builder COULD have just drywalled over it but they actually took out that framing so he couldn't get it done easily after escrow.

We took pix of that framing and had it done in our house after escrow ourselves so we have two closets. One I have my sewing machine in (it's big enough to sit down in) and the other has all our Christmas stuff in. We replaced the downstairs office and bonus room doors with leaded glass doors and used the old doors for the two bonus room closets.

meccos12 said:
Im hoping someone can shed a light on why the cabinet finish upgrades are so expensive.  I saw a cabinet upgrade for 3k, but the same cabinet in a different finish and color is 13k.  Really?  10k difference just for the finish and color?  Am I missing something here?  I feel like I can easily hire someone to repaint and coat the cabinets for a fraction of that...

Cabinet "upgrades" are a scam.  The boxes are still crappy 1/2" particle, with laminate veneer facing.  The doors are all mass produced in standard sizes.  There's nothing special about the "upgraded" cabinets.  If you can afford it, I would rather rip out the standard white thermofoil cabinets and replace it with custom or higher quality modular cabinets.  This gives you the opportunity to customize the doors/drawers/pullouts/hardware/rails/hinges/etc.

However, it IS a slippery slope.  Once you do this, you are changing out countertops, sinks, faucets, and sometimes even appliances.  I've fallen victim to this more than once, but have NEVER regretted doing it. :)

Irvine Dream said:
Common IHO, for the amount of time you spend on TI and all the avatars you use you don't know that [redacted] is in Irvine?

I don't closely monitor members like "some" people. :)

I didn't remember Ready2Downsize mentioning where he bought... and the 4-car garage really threw me for a loop. Need to look at resale where R2D lives. :)

Do you have a spreadsheet of TI members? :)

Back