9.25% Sales Tax in O.C.

[quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1236987584]Here is my thing about the tax increase. . . IT IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL.

I will have to scrunge up the extra penny when I get my double cheese burger. . .

Also, with respect to the California Republicans who cry so much about "spending", it is a big sham. I was listening to KPCC a couple weeks ago and that they interviewed Tom McClintock, Mister no spending, no taxes man while he was in California assembly who became a congressman, about Obama's plans. He basically stated that he was worried about the extra governmental spending. At the end of the interview, the reporter stated that Mr. McClintock is now SEEKING FUNDING FOR A DAM IN HIS CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT. Yeah, like we do not have enough dams in this state.</blockquote>

Trite.

[quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1237200431][quote author="IrvineCommuter" date=1236987584]Here is my thing about the tax increase. . . IT IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL.

I will have to scrunge up the extra penny when I get my double cheese burger. . .

Also, with respect to the California Republicans who cry so much about "spending", it is a big sham. I was listening to KPCC a couple weeks ago and that they interviewed Tom McClintock, Mister no spending, no taxes man while he was in California assembly who became a congressman, about Obama's plans. He basically stated that he was worried about the extra governmental spending. At the end of the interview, the reporter stated that Mr. McClintock is now SEEKING FUNDING FOR A DAM IN HIS CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT. Yeah, like we do not have enough dams in this state.</blockquote>

Trite.</blockquote>

I'll use a one more word than you have: Please elaborate.

We certainly need more dams in this state - for both flood control and water retention.

Nobody realizes it, but there's a drought on. My dad farms 320 acres in Westlands Water District. This year they have no water. Zero. Zilch. This is a major crisis for thousands of growers, which incidentally are in the poorest part of California. This will make it worse.

<a href="http://www.calwatercrisis.org/">http://www.calwatercrisis.org/</a>

I said trite because it is a trite argument trying to disingenously imply that the tax increase is trivial and that those opposing it are actually hypocritical in asking for any tax money.

We have serious problems in this State and until we have a real conversation about how much money it costs and where it goes we will be stuck with Ronald McDonald democracy.

Hopefully people don't try to avoid their average family tax increase of $1400 by eating their meals from McDonald's value menu because I fear a society that gets supersized.

[quote author="alan" date=1237196753][quote author="buylowsellhigh" date=1237046608]The BS part about the whole thing, is that CA pushed up the due dates for annual LLC fee, by 10 months. So I'm paying $6k on Apr 15, then another $6k on June 15. Sales tax, VLF increase isn't significant for us OC people. Its what, 300 bucks for the entire year? I'll gladly pay that, just don't make me pay $6k 10 months early! MAD.</blockquote>

Why on earth are you incorporated in CA? For God's sake, set up a Nevada Corp (or AZ or NM). CA LLC tax is Bull. Other states let you incororate for a smaller fee and don't have annual fee's.</blockquote>

It doesn't matter if you have an LLC in Nevada. What matters is if you/the LLC does business in the state of California. If you do, regardless you must pay the fees. California sucks.

All these taxes discourage people working at their most efficient. For example, let's say you were really good at your job, can do it 700% better than an untrained layman on the street. Normally, you'd just do your job, go home & hire other people who were, say 500% better than you at growing food, haircutting, car washing, etc to do everything else.

But with those taxes distorting your income and the costs of hiring others - you might reduce your hours and do more of those home jobs (plumbing, cooking, car washing, growing veggies in the backyard, cutting the kids hair, etc) yourself to minimize the impact of the taxes and maximize your standard of living. And so it goes for everyone else as well.

It's a drag on productivity.

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1237546192]All these taxes discourage people working at their most efficient. For example, let's say you were really good at your job, can do it 700% better than an untrained layman on the street. Normally, you'd just do your job, go home & hire other people who were, say 500% better than you at growing food, haircutting, car washing, etc to do everything else.

But with those taxes distorting your income and the costs of hiring others - you might reduce your hours and do more of those home jobs (plumbing, cooking, car washing, growing veggies in the backyard, cutting the kids hair, etc) yourself to minimize the impact of the taxes and maximize your standard of living. And so it goes for everyone else as well.

It's a drag on productivity.</blockquote>

Working less to spend quality time with your family, working on your garden, etc. is a blessing.

The government's accountants would love it if we're all productive workaholics. Working our butts off to pay 30 year mortgage, then drop dead shortly after retirement.

No thanks. I'd rather be inefficient and enjoy life. My food is slow cooked and I still write letters with pen and paper. I look forward to travel -- the world's a big place. I work to live, not live to work.

[quote author="momopi" date=1237555949][quote author="Anonymous" date=1237546192]All these taxes discourage people working at their most efficient. For example, let's say you were really good at your job, can do it 700% better than an untrained layman on the street. Normally, you'd just do your job, go home & hire other people who were, say 500% better than you at growing food, haircutting, car washing, etc to do everything else.

Working less to spend quality time with your family, working on your garden, etc. is a blessing.

The government's accountants would love it if we're all productive workaholics. Working our butts off to pay 30 year mortgage, then drop dead shortly after retirement.

No thanks. I'd rather be inefficient and enjoy life. My food is slow cooked and I still write letters with pen and paper. I look forward to travel -- the world's a big place. I work to live, not live to work.</blockquote>

Momopi, I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom. :)

[quote author="mediaboyz" date=1237703213][quote author="momopi" date=1237555949][quote author="Anonymous" date=1237546192]All these taxes discourage people working at their most efficient. For example, let's say you were really good at your job, can do it 700% better than an untrained layman on the street. Normally, you'd just do your job, go home & hire other people who were, say 500% better than you at growing food, haircutting, car washing, etc to do everything else.

No thanks. I'd rather be inefficient and enjoy life. My food is slow cooked and I still write letters with pen and paper. I look forward to travel -- the world's a big place. I work to live, not live to work.</blockquote>

Momopi, I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom. :)</blockquote>

And we wonder why we cant compete with outsourcing....

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1237191792]85% of the state budget is schools, prisions, mediCAL. It looks like the budget is now a total of $50 billion short.

<a href="http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D96TDKL81.htm">The new budget is already busto.</a>

I don't think sending out the whole world on an ambulance call is bankrupting the state, but maybe.

<a href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080125120407AA8SDIH">I think you're fire truck answer is somewhere here. Yes, they are usually over reacting.</a></blockquote>

Why don't they outsource the Prison system to China? I'm sure that after a couple of years in a Chinese Prison there would be little chance of the convicts even thinking about going back to Jail..

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1238594941]Why don't they outsource the Prison system to China? I'm sure that after a couple of years in a Chinese Prison there would be little chance of the convicts even thinking about going back to Jail..</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312253648">After reading 4000 days</a>, I would say a Thai prison might be an even better idea. I have never read any books about an Arab country prison, probably because no one ever makes it out, so that might be an option as well. Plus, it is really cheap to house someone in prison like that, hell... they could charge us a 20% premium and it still would only be a fraction of the cost here. The food won't be as good though.

Back