30 Day Fitness Challenge

I have a "silver cord", and no, it doesn't do any magic. Unless you stop eating because you don't want to stop wearing your cord of course! Mine is at my mother's house, sitting in a box.. one day.. if someone is that size, they get to take it, or else my dad will get it redone to suit my size :/

Speaking of eating.. I have been eating out and eating bad for a while now, and today I am so tired just doing the regular things.. I need my quinoa and kale back to bring the energy levels back! It's not even weight/ tone/ beauty at this point.. just plain operational energy!

Cubic Zirconia said:
I have a "silver cord", and no, it doesn't do any magic. Unless you stop eating because you don't want to stop wearing your cord of course! Mine is at my mother's house, sitting in a box.. one day.. if someone is that size, they get to take it, or else my dad will get it redone to suit my size :/

Okay, tell me more. I am fascinated by this cord idea now. Is it really common in your country? (I don't know if I'm allowed to say what country that is.) The article makes it sound like it's an ancient idea, but you're saying people there still wear this today?

I have some friends who kind of use this idea - basically they just refuse to buy bigger clothes. That is one simple way of making sure we don't get too fat. Being able to button your pants is as simple as it gets! I am guilty of cheating by buying elastic waistbands.  :-X

SoCal said:
Cubic Zirconia said:

Okay, tell me more. I am fascinated by this cord idea now. Is it really common in your country? (I don't know if I'm allowed to say what country that is.) The article makes it sound like it's an ancient idea, but you're saying people there still wear this today?

I have some friends who kind of use this idea - basically they just refuse to buy bigger clothes. That is one simple way of making sure we don't get too fat. Being able to button your pants is as simple as it gets! I am guilty of cheating by buying elastic waistbands.  :-X

Long long ago in Taiwan, everyone wore them- esp kids. These days with silver prices going up, people are cutting down. I wore on special occasion only. Oh, I forgot, I have one more I got done a couple of years ago. It's more like a belly dancer thing- hooks on the side only, so you can get as big as you want to :p

Cubic Zirconia said:
So, when at the gym, twenty-something buff trainers and forty-something lady clients are my favorite people to watch.  Always wonder why they pay.. for the attention, or to actually work out.

Probably both.  But I will vouch for the personal trainers at my gym.  They have a REALLY good plan that they execute with their client(s).  If you need the motivation and someone to create a good workout and meal plan for you, they are the people to go to.

kubert13 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
So, when at the gym, twenty-something buff trainers and forty-something lady clients are my favorite people to watch.  Always wonder why they pay.. for the attention, or to actually work out.

Probably both.  But I will vouch for the personal trainers at my gym.  They have a REALLY good plan that they execute with their client(s).  If you need the motivation and someone to create a good workout and meal plan for you, they are the people to go to.

What I need is a magic wand that creates an 1.5-2.0 hours that doesn't involve me getting up at 5AM or going to the gym at 9PM. 

That reminds me, I need to subject myself to a couple of stupid tax.  On the 1 in 185 million chance I create 24 hours a day.

nosuchreality said:
kubert13 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:

What I need is a magic wand that creates an 1.5-2.0 hours that doesn't involve me getting up at 5AM or going to the gym at 9PM. 

That reminds me, I need to subject myself to a couple of stupid tax.  On the 1 in 185 million chance I create 24 hours a day.

Oh yes! I need that too.. I hardly find time to relax.. always on the go, meeting to meeting, pick up to pick up, and when I sit down at the desk to work, it's already evening. I do run to the gym when overwhelmed, but then, I don't have needy toddlers in the house.. that helps!

I have a terrible ear ache again. Can't go on evening walks. Tried to brave it, but started losing balance again (dizzy spells/ loss of eye-body coordination). Not worth it.
SoCal- you had asked me then what happened to my ear. Remember the wisdom tooth extraction I got done at the ripe age of 35? Didn't work well. One of the tooth was sitting on my nerve, and looks like it was touched.. also I grind my teeth at night. So, diagnosed with TMJ though the jaw never locks... it's more of an issue with ear ache (like an hot rod inserted into the ear.. very painful! I just cry when that happens. Usually it strikes around midnight and I wake up with the pain) Other than coffee and warming my eat with a blow dryer, nothing helps much.

Kulbert.. My experiences are based on 24 hr and LA fitness.

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
Homer, why the ferocious green Homer picture - what's wrong?
He's mad because he hasn't seen me in a while.

Time to start joining him for the 5 a.m. sprints around the high school track, then??

I'll get my camera ready.

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
He's mad because he hasn't seen me in a while.

Time to start joining him for the 5 a.m. sprints around the high school track, then??

I'll get my camera ready.

SoCal, we should send hand picked organic locally grown strawberries to the high school track ;-)
We will talk about that more while we sip our lattes at 3pm, OK?

SoCal said:

He couldn't run 10 miles in 54 minutes this morning. He took a good 32 seconds over 54 minutes to complete. Very disappointed..and angry.. and upset.. and sad..hence the green, Feng Shui approved!

nosuchreality said:
Interesting new study.  Apparently calorie counts don't deter consumption but listing the calorie count as equivalent minutes of exercise, brisk walking, does.

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-sci-exercise-calories-20130423,0,6671036.story

Calorie count for exercises- is it reliable?
I don't trust the elliptical! It tells me I burned 500 calories in 40 minutes at highest resistance.. I don't feel like I torched so much. My friends enter their Zumba class info.. 500+ calories in an hour just normal dancing?

Cubic Zirconia said:
nosuchreality said:
Interesting new study.  Apparently calorie counts don't deter consumption but listing the calorie count as equivalent minutes of exercise, brisk walking, does.

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-sci-exercise-calories-20130423,0,6671036.story

I don't trust the elliptical! It tells me I burned 500 calories in 40 minutes at highest resistance.. I don't feel like I torched so much. My friends enter their Zumba class info.. 500+ calories in an hour just normal dancing?

For the study, I don't think the exercise calorie count reliability is the issue.  I think it's the conversion factor that people can't do and do really understand how many calories they really need.

So, at a 140 lb woman, a brisk walk is 3mph. it's also roughly 270 calories/hr.  Or, an Egg McMuffin tilts in at  1.1 hours of brisking walking. 

ie. A grill honey mustard wrap @ 50 minutes versus a McRib at 1 hour & 50 minutes.  Small fry at 50 minutes versus medium fry at an 1 hour and 20 minutes or large fry at a hour & 50 minutes.

As for Zumba, maybe, if the burn is like running at 5 MPH for an hour.  Looks to be about halfway between what they claim for a burn between high and low impact aerobics.

Cubic Zirconia said:
nosuchreality said:

The calorie counter on any elliptical or treadmill is not very accurate.  It may get you in the ballpark of your calories burned, but there is definitely error.  It may take into account your body weight and age but it does not take into account your fitness level, resting heart rate, max heart rate, etc.  That's why I think heart rate monitors are a little better at counting the calories burned.

But...heart rate monitors also have their shortcomings.  They don't tell you the amount of wattage (power) you are putting out with each step on a treadmill or each pedal on a bike.  Those types of monitoring give the individual an accurate count of exactly how much power you are putting out and tying it with your heart rate, weight, age, etc.

Since I'm ranting, I'll go off the calorie counter prediction and say that BMI is a horrible measure of your % body fat.  A better way to measure this is through hydroelectric measurements or even better, hydrostatic weighing.

Back