30 Day Fitness Challenge

Well. That explains it. Just got back from the doctor's.

Lab slip says normal TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) range = 0.45 - 4.5. The highest I've been in the last 5 years is 14.96. Right now I am 195.60!!!  :eek:

Basically, she says I am operating on nothing. No wonder I haven't lost an ounce since February despite working my butt off.

I've started having flu-like symptoms. Achy and weak. Simple tasks are difficult. My mind is so foggy. Yesterday I cried because I couldn't remember how to fold towels the special way so they fit on my shelf like I've been doing every few days the last year and a half. Geez. It took me 20 minutes but I re-taught myself. I also can't remember how old I am. I keep asking Mr. SoCal who, of course, has been having lots of fun throwing out wild numbers then sitting back, waiting for my reaction.  :mad: :p

I used to do such a shoddy job taking the medication (I take Synthroid). I didn't take it very seriously. Now, I can't wait to start. I'll never go down this path again.

Tomorrow = Day 1 of getting back to the old me!... the thinner, healthier SoCal. It's hard to be patient but at least I'm alive and that's what counts.

Hey, that's great news!

No seriously, great news.  You have a straightforward diagnosis of the situation, that's a major plus.  For many, they have to waffle around borderline everything doing test after test never getting a good answer other than 'they're aging'.

So, the doctor's news: good or bad? Was it something you expected? What is the course of action now? Take medication, eat well, stay active?
I am just glad that the doctor was able to find something fast. Last fall they put me through a million tests only to discover that ears had an issue with cold.. hate that kind of method where they diagnose by elimination...

Cubic Zirconia said:
So, the doctor's news: good or bad?

The TSH level is way too high. My thyroid levels crashed and burned. (My immune system incorrectly thinks my thyroid gland is a foreign invader so it attacks and destroys it, rendering it useless. That is what an autoimmune disorder is.) That caused a lot of undesirable symptoms.

Cubic Zirconia said:
Was it something you expected?

Yeah, pretty much. This is the first time since I was diagnosed that I have ever been off the medication completely. So, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I thought I might be okay. Took a chance because things were looking good at a low dose. It turns out it's more serious than I thought. Worst case scenario, if I continued like this it could lead to slipping into a coma and dying. I think I'll just go back on the supplement instead.  :)

Cubic Zirconia said:
What is the course of action now? Take medication, eat well, stay active?

Get back on it. Go back in 6 weeks. Have my blood drawn again. See the doctor.

Continue logging what I eat. Count calories. Stay active. I will never give up. I've had major obstacles this last year with major abdominal surgery, figuring all that out, wasting 12 weeks total on this thyroid debacle, weight gain and so much wasted time... I'm not saying it's going to be immediate or easy. I am sure it will take time to make adjustments. But I am determined. I will continue doing everything I've been doing but hopefully this time with actual results.

I think Mr. SoCal is getting sick of me telling him I'm too pretty to just give up and let myself go. It may sound bad but I think anybody has to believe they are too good of a person to let things spiral out of control no matter how the deck is stacked against you. Although he sees how much I am trying and has suggested he will re-think my offer to "hold hands and get fat together" if it comes down to that.  ;) At least I know I can count on him either way this goes.  :D

Cubic Zirconia said:
I am just glad that the doctor was able to find something fast. Last fall they put me through a million tests only to discover that ears had an issue with cold.. hate that kind of method where they diagnose by elimination...

She didn't have to do much. I was diagnosed 20 years ago and have been under her care a while now. 

What's wrong with your ears??? Cold... You mean ear infection or you mean frostbite?

How are the TI spouses doing if they are participating along with you?

Homer -- last I heard, Marge was doing a similar eating plan as you. How's it going now that Bart is about... wow... 4 months old now?

Iho -- are your attempts having any influence on Mrs. Iho?

CZ -- Is Mr. CZ your drill sergeant at the gym?

... Mrs. Kubert and Mrs. NSR? How is it going for them? Sticking with it?

If mr.CZ had his way, I would be looking like JLo already :p
But I do take the bodyguard along to bring my weights, adjust my machine..

Cubic Zirconia said:
But I do take the bodyguard along to bring my weights, adjust my machine..

Is he there to fend off the other men? My brother is like that - his wife is gorgeous and he won't even let her go into a grocery store without him or one of their sons present.

@ Iho - I don't know if you know who he is, but I was watching Gabriel Iglesias a.k.a. The Fluffy Comic, on TV doing stand-up the other night. He's pretty much exactly what I imagine you to be like in person. I wonder what you'd think of him. Haha.

b3eb853077d8013020f7001dd8b71c47

Well, Mr. SoCal reached a milestone this morning. He is in the 100s now. He hasn't been under 200 lbs. since I've known him, which is a long time. So, it's kind of weird, I guess.

When we first started dieting together, he was thinking his goal would be around 180 but now he thinks he's good with where he is. I wonder if any of that has to do with me telling him he's way too scrawny.  :-X

It's kind of cute & hilarious to see him use the phrase: "I'm in maintenance mode."  :)

Mr.SoCal is getting skinny and scrawny :) You should cook something exotic- soon!
For his height, 180 would be too low..don't you think so?

I am still in the same rut. Four abs out, and at a very weird stage. No matter what I eat (clean or junk), no matter how much I work out (or stop altogether) the scale has stalled. Size wise, the size I wear now is too big, but the size below will be stuffing myself into. I just want to lose or gain.. anything will work as long as I have some perfect fitting clothes!

On endurance..nothing tires me out :p Been working 10 hour days and picking up kids/ driving them to activities, and clanking pots and pans once in a while.. but end of the day it feels like an easy day. There were times when I used to tire out after work and driving kids around.

what height is he Socal? although just knowing weight vs. height is kind of hard as well because it can vary greatly depending on the amount of muscle he has.

I received a bodyfat caliper, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Yes, especially if you are using weights as part of your routine now.  Your weight may stay stagnant or go up but everything might look better and fit better if you are getting stronger/adding muscle and hopefully shedding some fat at the same time.

I haven't read every post, so not sure if you are doing that or not.  But especially if you are starting to do alot of lower body strength building exercises for the first time then you will probably add muscle pretty quickly.  I just remember when I started doing squats, lunges, leg press, etc. more intense and more often then  my bodyweight went up a good amount even though I was slimmer and in better shape than before.  This was long ago....

Back