30 Day Fitness Challenge

I think flame broiler has renamed those mini-bowls.

At flame broiler, I switched to a bowl instead of a plate.  Not sure a mini-bowl would be enough, although there isn't a huge amount of size difference but according to the menu a lot of difference being sub-400.  Frankly, I'm good with works bowl at about 650 calories.  I even have Panda down, I can do a plate at about 600 calories since I do the steamed veggies instead of rice or chow mein and then just stay away from the gooey entres tending to get black pepper chicken, broccoli beef, kung pao, black pepper shrimp, fire cracker chicken etc.  I don't do a bowl there either as veggies and a lighter entree is too light and a bowl with chow mein or rice and a entree is actually more.

I can even eat at McDonald's for breakfast and be content just getting a single egg mcmuffin.  300 cals.  Although I have a serious diet coke problem.  I'm sure if I could kill my diet coke addiction, I'd do better with other things.

I also did some fine tuning on my Flamebroiler meal.

Switched from the works bowl to the chicken veggie bowl.

I think it cuts the calories from 630 to 530.

FYI, just got told my cholesterol is a little high so apparently for as big as IHO says he is, he is in a better place than me!  Maybe its cause I haven't been playing as much basketball as I used to.

Weight definitely went up but I attribute a good portion of that to weight/strength building, but a good amount to just too much food, too little exercise.  It has gone down a bit since I refocused after I saw the results on the scale and the blood test from the physical.  Will probably start Insanity again soon for the first time in a couple years.  Hopefully I don't die...

28inIrvine said:
FYI, just got told my cholesterol is a little high so apparently for as big as IHO says he is, he is in a better place than me! 

Well, maybe as far as blood-work goes. However, I suspect your liver is in much better health. From what I understand, Iho has a bit of a tum-tum. (Sorry, Iho. Poor thing. Not to talk about him like he's not here. I just don't think he minds me mentioning it since he says so himself ALL the time. Don't worry, Iho, it's cute.) I've seen pics of both of you and if I recall, your shape is quite a bit different from the referenced person. All the doctors including Dr. Oz say when a man has a "belly" it's mainly due to an enlarged liver which often means it's scarred as well. From merely the looks of it, I doubt that aspect is a concern for you.

**I'm not a doctor. I just play one on the internet.**

My liver must be HUUUUGE.

I guess it's not just my bacteria that's big.

My new excuse:

"I'm not fat, I just have a big liver!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJgBetBDsE[/youtube]

OMG! Where did you find that? I REALLY LOL'd and I mean REALLy.  :D

"I'm not fat, I just have a big liver!"

It is called "fatty liver". So, if yours is due to the weight and not due to other causes, then both are true. Link

Just remember IHO based on what you previously said and what Dr. Oz says, lose the weight and your liver won't be what people talk about when they say "it's huge!"

Dr.Oz comes up with the weirdest things :)
IHO, how can you be full with veggie grill food?? I feel underfed all the time if I have lunch there.. Native foods is fine when I am OKish hungry, but if really hungry, their burgers aren't good enough.. I need something in a bowl + appetizers :/ But that said, in other restaurants, I have learned to tweak things a bit (for someone who ends up eating out at least 4/5 times a week, I have to!)

Islands/ Any burger place: Order with onion rings instead of fries- they only give a couple ;-)  Veggie pattie, no mayo, wheat bread. Water, and no dessert unless I went on a hike. Or just get fish!
Counter: Easiest! Burger in a bowl! I add eggs for protein, leave out the yellows.
Thai: Eat only 1/3 of the brown rice, and finish all curry.
Indian: Fill up on vegetables and lentils, and then eat some of "good stuff".
Starbucks: Skinny vanilla latte :/
Native foods/ veggie grill/any fake meat restaurant: Eat all you want to .. top off with black coffee when in doubt.
Buca/ Olive/ Any Italian: Stick to Salad to fill up, top it off with dessert (this I can't resist!)

But yeah.. you get the idea.. cut the carb, double on the protein, you will be fine..
Oh, native- you can substitute rice or quinoa with red beans. CPK also lets you add black beans to your salad. Guess being a vegetarian I am spared of fast food restaurants..

NSR: saw your catering thread. There is something that keeps coming on Living Social. They cook and deliver, and use organic stuff. Don't remember the name, but they are a big rage.

I know it's hard with a kid and two jobs, and may be non-veg food takes up more time, but having frozen vegetables and frozen "stuff" helps.. just throw it in the oven or on a pan, sizzle and spice, done! Or ask SoCal: she has mastered the art of slow cooking ;-) I use my slow cooker on days I work from home- it's a blessing!

SoCal said:
Well, maybe as far as blood-work goes. However, I suspect your liver is in much better health. From what I understand, Iho has a bit of a tum-tum. (Sorry, Iho. Poor thing. Not to talk about him like he's not here. I just don't think he minds me mentioning it since he says so himself ALL the time. Don't worry, Iho, it's cute.) I've seen pics of both of you and if I recall, your shape is quite a bit different from the referenced person. All the doctors including Dr. Oz say when a man has a "belly" it's mainly due to an enlarged liver which often means it's scarred as well. From merely the looks of it, I doubt that aspect is a concern for you.

**I'm not a doctor. I just play one on the internet.**

Funny you mention liver... they were stumped by my liver results (also bad), but I knew the answer.  Been taking some preworkout stuff (like C4, NO Xplode, etc.) but am now off it.  There is a reason why they say on the bottle do not take for more than 8 weeks straight...

Cubic Zirconia said:
Dr.Oz comes up with the weirdest things :)

Heyyy, Fatty Liver Disease is real.  :)

It's quite common, too, here in America. Up to 20% of adults and 6 million kids have fatty liver according to the link I posted.

Cubic Zirconia said:
NSR: saw your catering thread. There is something that keeps coming on Living Social. They cook and deliver, and use organic stuff. Don't remember the name, but they are a big rage.

I know it's hard with a kid and two jobs, and may be non-veg food takes up more time, but having frozen vegetables and frozen "stuff" helps.. just throw it in the oven or on a pan, sizzle and spice, done! Or ask SoCal: she has mastered the art of slow cooking ;-) I use my slow cooker on days I work from home- it's a blessing!

I've got the grill and the slow cooker down.  I need more slow cooker recipes.  Stir frys work well and quick.  Peppers and onions from Trader Joes are a god send. fajitas, peppers, side, TJs is da bomb for frozen veggie options.  Saute' works great too for thinly slicing and cooking quick.

Also have a 30 minute recipes book from the authors of Cook's Illustrated. They have a 30 minute hash recipe that is great. But... it all boils down to prep and experience.

Or more importantly, rut or not being in a rut.  My wife isn't a big veggie eater, trying to change that.  She does better with breads and pastas than me, I'm a don't eat or over-eat them kind. Simple carbs and me are a bad combo.

I could paleo or atkins in a blink, my wife and son would probably starve. :-(

I'd love to see the deal, I've been sending my LS offers straight to the junk folder.  Frankly, I'm readily spending $10-$15 day on lunch and breakfast so anything close to $30 is basically a wash.

Cubic Zirconia said:
Or ask SoCal: she has mastered the art of slow cooking ;-)

Oh, yeah. Send him to me. I'll fatten him right up.  :p Along with slow cooking I have, indeed, mastered the fine art of Man Fattening - Just ask my current victim. References available.

nosuchreality said:
I'd love to see the deal, I've been sending my LS offers straight to the junk folder.  Frankly, I'm readily spending $10-$15 day on lunch and breakfast so anything close to $30 is basically a wash.

I will send it your way next time I see it..
Yes, food expenses add up if you are eating lots of vegetables and whole grains. But still better than it was ten years ago when you had to buy everything at Whole Foods.. with a premium. I like Trader Joes better. Oh BTW, I freeze Kale and Spinach- before I throw them in soups, or stiry frys, I just crunch(?) the bag.. no need to cut :)

SoCal said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
Or ask SoCal: she has mastered the art of slow cooking ;-)

Oh, yeah. Send him to me. I'll fatten him right up.  :p Along with slow cooking I have, indeed, mastered the fine art of Man Fattening - Just ask my current victim. References available.

LOL! Yeah, just cut down a few things, double a few things, you will be good :p
I am using slow cooker to make oatmeal with oat groats these days.. Oh, any Muesli recipe that you tried and liked? There is one for chocolate chip cookie on the cover, but I haven't felt courageous enough to try it!

kubert13 said:
SoCal said:
28inIrvine said:
Been taking some preworkout stuff (like C4, NO Xplode, etc.) but am now off it. 

Wow, what is this stuff? I never even heard of it.

It's just pre-workout shakes that give you energy to perform during your workout.

And I thought black coffee gave me enough super powers :)
Kulbert, any other new workouts?
Homer, we know you are AT GOAL, but do throw in your workout plan once in a while and make us jealous!

This morning's work out was HIIT Cardio.

I squat jumped 45 seconds and jogged in place for 20 seconds... rinse and repeat for 10 minutes of squat jumping.

After that I did chest and back workouts... Chest work out was mostly pushup (incline, decline, wide, close, and suicides)

Back workouts was pullups (wide, close, military, corn on the cobs)

Back