3 New California Pacific Communities in Portola Springs Late 2021

We like Woodbury too, we just haven't seen a floor plan we've liked much there compared to some of the other neighborhoods in North Irvine (at least in our price range).

Danimal said:
MsHouseHunter said:
Thanks for the info! We decided against Lapis even though we really did like the floor plan. Not so much because of the 241 but just some of the broader issues with the location for us. Hoping we don't regret it as the other model homes are out of our price range. We'll probably start looking at resales in Stonegate/Cypress Village etc.

Danimal said:
MsHouseHunter said:
Hi all - we were looking into Lapis floor plan 2 since it's a 4br with one downstairs which is highly desirable for us.  It would be of the front row lots so furthest away from the freeway (opposite side of the models for Sierra).

I was wondering how concerned we should be about the nearby 241 in terms of noise and air quality.

I could hear little 241 traffic from loud vehicles when i was there on grand opening day even with a lot of background noises from visitors. Road noises are definitely louder early in the morning when everything else is quiet. You should give it a visit during this time for a piece of mind.  IMO, lots near Highland further away from model home should be ok.  More homes/trees in the future will definitely reduce the 241 noises.

As far as 241 traffic pollution, it shouldnt be a problem. I would be more concerned about dust pollution since PS are surrounded by undeveloped hills but when the santa ana wind picks up, everyone in SC has the same issue.

Cypress Village and Stonegate. No love for Woodbury? I am selling my place there in few months if you are interested.

I kid of course. On a serious note,  if you have concern about 241, you definitely dont want Cypress Village. I live in Woodbury and I can hear 5 freeway occasionally from my home at night or early in the morning even my home is couple of block from Trabuco.  Stonegate/Woodbury/OH are safer bet for freeway noises.

SWATeam said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
SWATeam said:
By chance, anyone else on this forum a part of phase 1, other than Bkim (Plan 3) and Martin's dad (Plan 2)?  The sales team mentioned a couple expecting a boy took the other Sierra Plan 2 but I haven't seen anyone here call themselves out on that.  Also haven't heard anyone here mentioning they reserved the other Plan 1 and Plan 3.  Maybe there will be more folks following this thread in Phase 2.

Would love to start getting to know my neighbors and plan an early Phase or Anthem block party ;D. 

Yeah my dad got the Plan 2 corner lot (58) so I'll be coming back his house regularly.  I'm thinking of surprising him with a dog when he moves down because he likes to go for walks in the morning and at dusk.

Awesome.  Look forward to seeing you Martin :).

By the way, what's your thoughts on resale value/appreciation for each Sierra Plan (1-3) based off what you've seen so far?

The homes will appreciate very well over time, especially as the new home construction ends in Portola Springs and Orchard Hills (excluding the Great Park).  I wouldn't have recommended this home to my dad if I didn't think this tract of homes wouldn't appreciate into the future.  I think they'll be bumping the base prices by approx. 1% per phase until they see the market slowing down. I took my dad to Highlands but he didn't like how the neighborhood looked with not being able to park in front of the home.

bkimxmd said:
SWATeam said:
bkimxmd said:
Congrats CalBear.  The bluffs model is very nice.  Was my wife?s first pick.  But we didn?t get on the list until maybe a month ago.  No way would be able to get one anytime soon.  Thankfully we got the Sierra.  Looks like everything is falling into place for everyone.

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure we're going to be neighbors at this point and our 2 girls are going to grow up with your 2 boys.  We should trade contacts :).

How old are your girls?  My boys are 4 going to kindergarten next fall.  Paying for preschool will finally be over soon!

Don't get too excited! I thought the same but Kindergarten is only 2.5 hours so you'll still need to pay for childcare before/after school which is nearly the same as preschool/montessori.  :(

CalBear my bad.  I do remember that post. Sorry got you mixed up with Swat on that.

2.5 hours only for kindergarten???  Ugh?. Time to get my mother in law back here. 

SWATeam said:
Sysko said:
SWATeam said:
Sysko said:
CalBears96 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
How was the traffic at the Sierra models this weekend?  I wasn't able to get over this weekend as I have my Great Park open house and buyer showings, plus I don't like big crowds.  I'll probably check them out tomorrow.

We got to Bluffs around 10:45am and I didn't see many cars at Sierra models. We thought about going there after signing the reservation, but it was already 2pm and we hadn't had lunch yet, so we left, but I didn't see many cars either.

I went to Sierra around 3pm today and it was less hectic than yesterday.  Plenty of parking spaces and no need to wait to go inside the model homes.  I saw Plan 2 and 3 of Sierra and Plan 1 and 2 of Lapis.

Foot traffic through all plans was high between 11:30 - 12:30 PM on Saturday.  It did seem to gradually die down though.  Sunday, I heard didn't have as much foot traffic as Saturday but wasn't a ghost town either.

I'm not surprised folks might not have checked out Sierra's Plan 1 based on what's on paper.  But, everyone I know that saw Plan 1 (8+ previewers) actually liked it way more than Plan 2.  The design is super efficient and Plan 2's flow was very meh.  Before seeing any of the models we were gung-ho in waiting for a Plan 2, but Plan 1 really wowwed us.  One of my family members whose in Irvine said Plan 1 really felt like a million+ $ home with the flow vs Plan 2 kind of missed that mark.  Plan 3 is nice, but you'd be paying quite a bit of a premium for that (+$200K).

Of course if a 4th bedroom is needed, then I totally understand why folks would also skip out on seeing the Plan 1.

Yeah, I skipped Plan 1 because I was looking for 4 bedroom homes.  Now I'm curious how Plan 1 is.  I'll go back again today and check it out.

Did you get a chance to see plan 1 Sierra?  If so, what did you think relative to the other plans?

I went to Sierra this morning since the model homes were closed yesterday due to the weather.  I liked the layout of Plan 1 specially the entry way.  I can see how one of your family member was wowed.  However, I felt the living room/dining room was too small or crammed.  Wish it was a bit bigger. 

There was water damage on the Plan 3 model home from yesterday's rain so only got to see the Plan 2 again to compare. 

water damage in the model? how bad is it like a leaky roof? not a good omen even in this crazy seller's market.

Sysko said:
SWATeam said:
Sysko said:
SWATeam said:
Sysko said:
CalBears96 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
How was the traffic at the Sierra models this weekend?  I wasn't able to get over this weekend as I have my Great Park open house and buyer showings, plus I don't like big crowds.  I'll probably check them out tomorrow.

We got to Bluffs around 10:45am and I didn't see many cars at Sierra models. We thought about going there after signing the reservation, but it was already 2pm and we hadn't had lunch yet, so we left, but I didn't see many cars either.

I went to Sierra around 3pm today and it was less hectic than yesterday.  Plenty of parking spaces and no need to wait to go inside the model homes.  I saw Plan 2 and 3 of Sierra and Plan 1 and 2 of Lapis.

Foot traffic through all plans was high between 11:30 - 12:30 PM on Saturday.  It did seem to gradually die down though.  Sunday, I heard didn't have as much foot traffic as Saturday but wasn't a ghost town either.

I'm not surprised folks might not have checked out Sierra's Plan 1 based on what's on paper.  But, everyone I know that saw Plan 1 (8+ previewers) actually liked it way more than Plan 2.  The design is super efficient and Plan 2's flow was very meh.  Before seeing any of the models we were gung-ho in waiting for a Plan 2, but Plan 1 really wowwed us.  One of my family members whose in Irvine said Plan 1 really felt like a million+ $ home with the flow vs Plan 2 kind of missed that mark.  Plan 3 is nice, but you'd be paying quite a bit of a premium for that (+$200K).

Of course if a 4th bedroom is needed, then I totally understand why folks would also skip out on seeing the Plan 1.

Yeah, I skipped Plan 1 because I was looking for 4 bedroom homes.  Now I'm curious how Plan 1 is.  I'll go back again today and check it out.

Did you get a chance to see plan 1 Sierra?  If so, what did you think relative to the other plans?

I went to Sierra this morning since the model homes were closed yesterday due to the weather.  I liked the layout of Plan 1 specially the entry way.  I can see how one of your family member was wowed.  However, I felt the living room/dining room was too small or crammed.  Wish it was a bit bigger. 

There was water damage on the Plan 3 model home from yesterday's rain so only got to see the Plan 2 again to compare.

lol water damage in the model? that is quite concerning if I'm a buyer. If they can't get the model right, what makes you think they will get your home right?

sleepy5136 said:
lol water damage in the model? that is quite concerning if I'm a buyer. If they can't get the model right, what makes you think they will get your home right?

I'm glad that I didn't waste my time to even get on the waitlist. This was after my wife read all the bad reviews about CalPac. I did try to get pre-approval, but Loandepot asked for too much financial statements, so I passed on it. I mean, we would only sign up as a back up for Bluffs and Highland anyway. We just wanted to see what 2X would look like, but never had any strong interest.

sleepy5136 said:

Would it be overkill if a 4th person chimes in to say EEK.

Lol.  Relax.  Sh** happens.  3rd new house I am buying.  They all have their fair share of problems.  It?s not like Cal Pacific or Irvine Pacific is making the houses from a factory and just planting them in place.  At the end of the day they all use contractors to put them together.  Some problems you would never know until it rains, and it never rains here. 

Who knows?  Someone might have just left a window open.  Let?s not sit here and freak people out.  This is why they provide a warranty. 

yes, but it will be nice to know more details about the water damage. You do know that when selling your home, you have to disclose if there's any water damage in the past 3 years (I believe)? Sure it will be fixed under warranty but it may make some buyers uncomfortable.

bkimxmd said:
Lol.  Relax.  Sh** happens.  3rd new house I am buying.  They all have their fair share of problems.  It?s not like Cal Pacific or Irvine Pacific is making the houses from a factory and just planting them in place.  At the end of the day they all use contractors to put them together.  Some problems you would never know until it rains, and it never rains here. 

Who knows?  Someone might have just left a window open.  Let?s not sit here and freak people out.  This is why they provide a warranty.

bkimxmd said:

I don?t know if relax is the right word when one is spending 1.4m+ on an asset. Water damage is a serious matter in a home and if not taken care of can lead to very expensive repairs depending on the issue. So yes, people should feel uncomfortable about this situation.

The fact that it happened in a model home is even more glaring tbh. I don?t think we can say that just because it doesn?t rain that often here that we should let them off the hook either. Let?s not act like we are expecting the builder to have the home be asteroid proof.

The California Court Company said:
yes, but it will be nice to know more details about the water damage. You do know that when selling your home, you have to disclose if there's any water damage in the past 3 years (I believe)? Sure it will be fixed under warranty but it may make some buyers uncomfortable.

bkimxmd said:

Eh.  Not me.  They can build 126 new houses and have 126 different problems.  You buy one like this and find out 9 months later when it rains you have a leak it probably is a shitty feeling.  You have a couple of minor issues, probably not that bad.  As long as they fix it without much hassle, everything will be alright.

I see this kinda stuff all the time with cars.  Saw someone buy a brand new Boxster and called the salesman 45 min later after he left the dealership saying he?s stranded on the side of the road and the display read catastrophic failure.  Somehow a brand new Porsche had metal shavings run through the engine and pretty much blew the motor in 20 miles.  Same crap with Honda, Lexus, Audi, BMW etc.  You never know..

sleepy5136 said:
bkimxmd said:

I don?t know if relax is the right word when one is spending 1.4m+ on an asset. Water damage is a serious matter in a home and if not taken care of can lead to very expensive repairs depending on the issue. So yes, people should feel uncomfortable about this situation.

The fact that it happened in a model home is even more glaring tbh. I don?t think we can say that just because it doesn?t rain that often here that we should let them off the hook either. Let?s not act like we are expecting the builder to have the home be asteroid proof.

Who?s saying let them off the hook?  I?m saying we don?t know what happened.  A window could have been left over the day prior when they were closed because of the rain or something might not have been sealed properly during the  build.  Who knows?  I?m saying people shouldn?t overreact and start bashing on them. 

I?m not sure if you contracted on one of the homes or not, but me and a few other people here did.  And yes, 1.4M+ is a lot.  It?s over 1.6M for me.

So people on this thread all of a sudden saying ?im glad I didn?t waste my time on the Sierra? or ?if they can?t even get the model house right? what good does that do?  And what can I do about it?  Go up to Robin and Vivian at the sales office and say WTF?  Guarantee me this won?t happen to my house in writing or I?m cancelling? 

As long as they fix it right away, it will be fine.  That?s what the warranty is for.  And if we are unlucky and have problems we will see how good or bad their warranty process is. 

Can?t really tell me using ?relax? might not be the right word when the first words that came from your response was ?laughing out loud?.

bkimxmd said:
sleepy5136 said:
bkimxmd said:

Who?s saying let them off the hook?  I?m saying we don?t know what happened.  A window could have been left over the day prior when they were closed because of the rain or something might not have been sealed properly during the  build.  Who knows?  I?m saying people shouldn?t overreact and start bashing on them. 

I?m not sure if you contracted on one of the homes or not, but me, Swat, and Martin?s dad did.  And yes, 1.4M+ is a lot.  It?s over 1.6M for me.

So people on this thread all of a sudden saying ?im glad I didn?t waste my time on the Sierra? or ?if they can?t even get the model house right? what good does that do?  And what can I do about it?  Go up to Robin and Vivian at the sales office and say WTF?  Guarantee me this won?t happen to my house in writing or I?m cancelling? 

As long as they fix it right away, it will be fine.  That?s what the warranty is for.  And if we are unlucky and have problems we will see how good or bad their warranty process is. 

Can?t really tell me using ?relax? is the right word when the first words that came from your response was ?laughing out loud?.
Model homes do not leave their windows opened? so unless some person opened it then yes. But generally they are closed.

You can?t do anything besides pray if you?re already in contract. Me bringing it up the way I did is for people that did not get in contract yet. Knowing that model homes generally do not leave their windows open and for them to not allow people in the model due to water damage is worth being concerned about.
How is it overreacting when they did not allow visitors in the home due to water damage? It?s not something you can wipe off and show the model right after. Shows it?s not a minor issue right? So yes, future buyers should be concerned. I?m surprised you?re downplaying it tbh.

And yes, I said lol because it?s quite embarrassing. Maybe I should have done a face palm emoji instead?

sleepy5136 said:
bkimxmd said:
sleepy5136 said:
bkimxmd said:

I?m not sure if you contracted on one of the homes or not, but me, Swat, and Martin?s dad did.  And yes, 1.4M+ is a lot.  It?s over 1.6M for me.

Can?t really tell me using ?relax? is the right word when the first words that came from your response was ?laughing out loud?.
Model homes do not leave their windows opened? so unless some person opened it then yes. But generally they are closed.

You can?t do anything besides pray if you?re already in contract. Me bringing it up the way I did is for people that did not get in contract yet. Knowing that model homes generally do not leave their windows open and for them to not allow people in the model due to water damage is worth being concerned about.
How is it overreacting when they did not allow visitors in the home due to water damage? It?s not something you can wipe off and show the model right after. Shows it?s not a minor issue right? So yes, future buyers should be concerned. I?m surprised you?re downplaying it tbh.

And yes, I said lol because it?s quite embarrassing. Maybe I should have done a face palm emoji instead?

How am I down playing it?  I?m choosing not to overreact or bash a company because something like this happened in their model home.  It hasn?t happen to my home.  And just because it happened to this one doesn?t mean it will or will not happen to mine.  It?s manufacturing and shit happens.  What good comes from saying haha your shit sucks. Lol, you should be embarrassed you didn?t even know your model home had a leak. 

I had a water leak in my first house in MD. The contractors cut the baseboard outside the door to my deck and sawed right through the flashing.  I didn?t see the water damage in the basement until 1.5 years later.  It took them 3 different visits to figure it out and in the end they fixed all of it even though our warranty was over.

Again, should I go to the ladies and say WTF.  Make demands that they guarantee me this won?t happen or else?  All the houses that are being built around there that aren?t finished got poured on the other day.  What we gonna say bout that?  Oh at least it rained when the houses weren?t finished yet?  We should be good? There?s no damage?.

It would be a different story if all 3 of the model homes had the same water damage.  Or all of them plus the condos right across the street.  If that happened, my reaction would be different.  I would def cancel, but that?s not the case. 

bkimxmd said:
sleepy5136 said:
bkimxmd said:
sleepy5136 said:
bkimxmd said:

How am I down playing it?  I?m choosing not to overreact or bash a company because something like this happened in their model home.  It hasn?t happen to my home.  And just because it happened to this one doesn?t mean it will or will not happen to mine.  It?s manufacturing and shit happens.  What good comes from saying haha your shit sucks. Lol, you should be embarrassed you didn?t even know your model home had a leak. 

I had a water leak in my first house in MD. The contractors cut the baseboard outside the door to my deck and sawed right through the flashing.  I didn?t see the water damage in the basement until 1.5 years later.  It took them 3 different visits to figure it out and in the end they fixed all of it even though our warranty was over.

Again, should I go to the ladies and say WTF.  Make demands that they guarantee me this won?t happen or else?  All the houses that are being built around there that aren?t finished got poured on the other day.  What we gonna say bout that?  Oh at least it rained when the houses weren?t finished yet?  We should be good? There?s no damage?.

It would be a different story if all 3 of the model homes had the same water damage.  Or all of them plus the condos right across the street.  If that happened, my reaction would be different.  I would def cancel, but that?s not the case.
Again, my point was never on what options you have when you're already in contract. In addition, my argument was never that shit doesn't happen. Of course shit happens. But water damage? I hope you realize there are levels to shits that happen. If you want to defend the builder and play it down. So be it. Let's agree to disagree.

My main point of the exchange with you is you feel people are overreacting and shouldn't be. Again, model homes DO NOT open their windows and because they blocked viewing of the model with the water damage, that is sufficient information needed to conclude that this is a big issue and not a minor one. Based off of that information, it would be a legitimate concern for a POTENTIAL buyer unless you have more details of what exactly happened. NOT someone in contract. Again, the only thing you can do is just pray everyday that it won't happen to your home if you're already in contract.

Sleepy ur arguments are well taken and I'm in agreement. U seem like an awesome lawyer. They might use the supply chain issue for the missing hole in the ceiling, perhaps. I guess that could fly

Back