3-Car Garage Homes

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Yeah... but it's not easy to find a newer 3CWG in Irvine for $710k (not even sure if there ever was one sold in the last 3 years). The lowest those Westpark II 3CWGs are in the lower $800ks.

i agree, but the true comparison would be 710K for aliso viejo (capitalizing the 400 in tolls each month) vs the lower 800s you mention. You can also capitalize the gas amounts as well. the variance just gets smaller. then the ultimate question is are you willing to pay the extra 100K to avoid the extended commuting time

qwerty - I disagree with regards to the gas amounts. It all depends on where you work vs where you live. For example, we currently live near the 5 and I commute to a place west of the 405 on Jamboree. My commute is about 18 minutes in the morning (I leave for work early) but about 35 minutes home.

I do agree with the toll amount - the $300 is basically a mello roos tax that will never go away

I think Irvine get's it premium for a few reasons including but not limited to:

1. Central location to all of Orange County.
2. Near UCI (for the parents who want their kids to still live close or at home).
3. Diverse 'authentic' restaurants and stores along with the typical chain variety.
4. More than just a spattering of different ethnic groups to create sub-communities.
5. Closer to L.A. in comparison to South County but newer housing product/infrastructure than North County.
6. Flat terrain (Some people look at hilly areas as not being as desirable).
7. Near major job centers if you want a super short commute.
8. Perception schools are better than anything else around.
9. Perception city is safer than anything else around.
10. Perception of Irvine being better by extensive TIC marketing.
11. Word of mouth creating the 'reality' from points 6-8 locally and world wide (in FCB lands).

I think points 8-11 are being given more weight in the minds of FCB's and some locals than it should. 
There are gems which exist outside the Emerald City.

12. Two ranch 99's conveniently serving Chinese FCBs.
13. Racial profiling tactics from IPD that discourage "brown" and "black" people from entering the city

davenlei said:

2. Near UCI (for the parents who want their kids to still live close or at home).
3. Diverse 'authentic' restaurants and stores along with the typical chain variety.
4. More than just a spattering of different ethnic groups to create sub-communities.
5. Closer to L.A. in comparison to South County but newer housing product/infrastructure than North County.
11. Word of mouth creating the 'reality' from points 6-8 locally and world wide (in FCB lands).

I think points 8-11 are being given more weight in the minds of FCB's and some locals than it should. 

The Motor Court Company said:
13. Racial profiling tactics from IPD that discourage "brown" and "black" people from entering the city

davenlei said:

I have to agree with #13--just anecdotal evidence but every time I see IPD pulling someone over it is usually an older/non-luxury vehicle and a non-White, non-Asian driver.  The last time I saw a nice car pulled over by IPD it was last year--White dude being cuffed on Irvine Blvd  standing by his beautiful Riviera Blue Porsche GT3. Maybe he forgot to pay his HOA dues?

iacrenter said:

davenlei said:

I have to agree with #13--just anecdotal evidence but every time I see IPD pulling someone over it is usually an older/non-luxury vehicle and a non-White, non-Asian driver.  The last time I saw a nice car pulled over by IPD it was last year--White dude being cuffed on Irvine Blvd  standing by his beautiful Riviera Blue Porsche GT3. Maybe he forgot to pay his HOA dues?
997 GT3???

USCTrojanCPA said:
iacrenter said:

davenlei said:

997 GT3???

Looked like this one:

Porsche-Mitarbeiter-nennen-die-Sonderfarbe-intern--Muellsack-Blau---Offiziell-wird-sie-unter-dem-Namen--Rivierablau--verkauft.jpg

iacrenter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
iacrenter said:

davenlei said:

997 GT3???

Looked like this one:

Porsche-Mitarbeiter-nennen-die-Sonderfarbe-intern--Muellsack-Blau---Offiziell-wird-sie-unter-dem-Namen--Rivierablau--verkauft.jpg
OH MY, that is super sex on 4 rubber tires.  :DROOL:

I saw that one too... I agree about the location (really good for North Lake)... the floorplan isn't ideal... galley kitchen is bleh... if you could blow out the wall and make the cooktop and island between the kitchen and family room, it would be better.

No walk-in closet in the master either.

Drove by this one:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/2-Vermont-92606/home/4677760

C12071238_0.jpg

$748,888k... FCB priced!

I actually like this model... this is the late 90s 3CWG that you see in West Irvine, Harvard Square and Oak Creek. It's a great location in the neighborhood -- cul-de-sac and backing the park... but we just don't like Harvard Square that much. If this was in Oak Creek for the same price, we would probably consider putting in an offer.

That's a pretty nice house. Call me crazy but I love 90s homes. Mostly for their vaulted ceilings, though, which that doesn't have. That has a nice lot, cute gazebo and bbq area. Room for improvement: A not so good job done on the kitchen backsplash tile. Can be fixed. I don't know about you but hard floors would drive me crazy on the second story. Noisy. But no biggie. Cute complex but too bad it's so close to the 5. I don't know - this house has a lot going for it. I think you should buy it.  :)

I don't like hardwood on the second floor either... but it looks like it's just on the stairs, mini-loft and hallways, the rooms seem to be carpeted.

I like the plantation shutters downstairs and the large lot (8400sft?)... but the proximity to the 5 (although it is a few streets away so the noise isn't an issue) and general overall location in Irvine is not ideal for us.

Isn't pic #12 a bedroom? Due to the wall paint color matching the en-suite bath and order of the photos, that looks like the master to me with hard flooring.

I think you're right. (<-- there you go!)

Although... I find it strange that the master has hardwood and then what looks like a different surface in the master bath and then again in the master closet.

I call these ticking time bomb neighborhoods, sooner or later a comp killer (with the same sq ft) will show up because it backs the freeway.  Same with Oak Creek.  A busy street I can stomach, busy freeway, no thanks.

I'm not too worried about comps if the home falls in my affordability range... the plan 2 of this model was on sale at Oak Creek and we were thinking about it but were trying to get loan pre quals and missed it (it sold for $760k which is probably the comp killer in Oak Creek).

I think you'll find a busy street just as annoying as a freeway.

So would you consider toll roads or land fills as time bombs?

i got a little excited when i saw 2 vermont, but then i saw how close it was to the freeway.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not too worried about comps if the home falls in my affordability range... the plan 2 of this model was on sale at Oak Creek and we were thinking about it but were trying to get loan pre quals and missed it (it sold for $760k which is probably the comp killer in Oak Creek).

I think you'll find a busy street just as annoying as a freeway.

So would you consider toll roads or land fills as time bombs?

I think Oak Creek and Harvard Square are special cases, smaller villages with a good portion of it exposed to a busy freeway which can lead to resales sitting on the market for 6 months before the owner takes the lowball offer. 

Las Ventanas is another small village but the toll road is not as busy but still nobody wants to live under a freeway, and as the newness wears off, the freeway will still be there roaring away.

LR, though with it's flexible floorplans (like going to yogurtland), is tougher to call, the landfill is not a visible object yet (or is it?), if I'm buying a starter home in Irvine, I might consider PS, otherwise spending my hard earned cash on a million dollar property next to a what if is not for me. 

Back