$250k and middle class

peppy said:
Median (i.e. 50th percentile) income in Irvine in 2011 was $109,762/family and $92,599/household. I would not be calling $250,000 middle class at all ...
That's reported income.

Factor in the FCBs, large student population and those numbers are probably higher.

irvinehomeowner said:
peppy said:
Median (i.e. 50th percentile) income in Irvine in 2011 was $109,762/family and $92,599/household. I would not be calling $250,000 middle class at all ...
That's reported income.

Factor in the FCBs, large student population and those numbers are probably higher.

Show me the data and I'll believe you.  ;)

peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
peppy said:
That's reported income.

No can do.

The IRS is watching.

irvinehomeowner said:
peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
peppy said:
That's reported income.

No can do.

The IRS is watching.

The bigger question is how healthy are the retirement accounts on those households after blowing the income on "safe" neighborhoods,"good" schools and living an upper middle-class lifestyle. My guess it's only trickling into that 401(k) if at all. After all, we know that owning an Irvine home is a ticket to fortune once we retire.  :p

FARMMMMMIE said:
$250k is around upper middle class for single income.  If dual then that's around low - mid middle class.
Not really, after the IRS and Franchise Tax Board and 3.8% Obama Medicare Tax along with being self employed some of us single folks are left with about 50% of what we've earned.  :(

You're all being too literal.  This is southern California.  Not really different than New York, London or elsewhere were we actually can cross paths with the 1%. In fact, most of you are living in the product of one of them.

In my view, the top is north of $50 Million net worth.  That's the 1%.

Then the wealthy, those with networth north of $5 Million.

Everything below that down to the poverty line is middle class whether you like it or not.  You might be more comfortable. You might not be fretting over paying the electric bill, but your still middle class.

Even those with net worths between $1-$5 million are still just one good screw up, unfortunate event or happenstance away from the long slide to the bottom of the economic ladder.

It is reasonable to consider household with net worth between 1-5 million as upper middle class.

We have a lot of millionaire household in Irvine and OC in general.  Of 935,287 households in OC, 116,157 household have a million dollar or more excluding the value of their primary residence.  That's a little over 12% and definitely higher in Irvine. 

10% of California's millionaire household lives in OC.  There are 116,157 millionaire household in OC.  However that was  2006 data and that's the total net worth over a million dollar excluding the value of their primary residence.

Base on more updated data, when it comes to the sheer total of millionaire households in each state, California has the most, with 777,624 millionaire households.

The top 10 counties with the highest number of millionaire residents are:

1. Los Angeles County, California: With 268,136 millionaire households, Los Angeles County has the largest number of millionaires among the counties in the U.S. The County has 23 % of California's millionaire households and 3 % of those in the country.

2. Cook County, Illinois: Cook County, which includes Chicago, has 171,118 millionaire households forming 40 % of such households in Illinois and 2 % in the nation.

3. Orange County, California: Orange County consists of 10 % of California's millionaire households with 116,157 millionaire households. It forms 1 % of the nation's millionaire households.

4. Maricopa County, Arizona: With 113,414 households, Maricopa County has the 4th largest number of millionaire households in USA. This makes 62 % of Arizona's total millionaire households and 1 % of the nation's.

5. San Diego County, California: The fifth county in the U.S. and the 3rd in the State with the most number of millionaire households, San Diego has 102,138 millionaire households that make up 9 % of such households in California. It also accounts for 1 % of the total millionaire households in the country.

irvinehomeowner said:
It's interesting that NorCal is 8th on that list.

Not enough Hollywood actors live up north I guess.

Majority or not all of the studios are in so cal not nor cal.

I would imagine Irvine (especially in some SHADY areas) has its fair share but I would guess a good chunk of the Orange County millionaires live south of here near the ocean. 

irvinehusky said:
I would imagine Irvine (especially in some SHADY areas) has its fair share but I would guess a good chunk of the Orange County millionaires live south of here near the ocean. 

$1million exclusive of primary residence is not hard to attain. I would guess there's plenty of $1m-$2m ppl in irvine. $2m-$5m on the other hand, prob not as many.

Very true.  That's why I find these things about "millionaires" useless since a millionaire isn't what it used to be.  Back in the 60's and maybe even in the 70's when someone mentioned a millionaire it really meant someone with a lot of money.  Especially now that young people can earn six figure salaries quite early I'm sure getting to a million isn't that hard.  That didn't happen much in our days.  As a commercial used to say, we had to earn it.  Not saying young people now aren't earning it but the bar has been raised to probably a deca-millionaire before anyone can be asking for Grey Poupons.

bones said:
$1million exclusive of primary residence is not hard to attain. I would guess there's plenty of $1m-$2m ppl in irvine. $2m-$5m on the other hand, prob not as many.

Irvine Dream said:
More realistic I would say than delusional.  I haven't still bought a house in Irvine that I would consider atleast upper middle class which would be a detached SFR with its own driveway and atleast 5,000 sq feet lot.  I am asset poor but income rich maybe.

LOL, that's like saying you don't feel rich because you only have a stainless steel Rolex Air King and not a white gold Rolex Daytona!

Back