24 HR Fitness or LA Fitness??

thatOSguy said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
24 hour > LA Fitness because their gyms are open 24/7.

I wish! Some of their clubs are closed late in the evenings or on weekend evenings:

The one at the Spectrum closes at 10pm on weekends and opens at 5am:http://www.24hourfitness.com/Website/Club/00863?rt=1

I had too many experiences like this at 24 hour fitness where they aren't open 24 hours (IIRC Brea was/is the worst).
I'd never trek out to the one at the Spectrum, especially when there's the one at Tustin Marketplace and that one is open 24/7...good enough for me.  :D

Yeah, I guess I'm referring to instances when you're outside the bubble and need the gym (sortof the main reason to go with a larger chain) particularly with travel, when you're likely to go at odd hours. I've been let down before, with the "24 Hour Fitness!" neon lights being the only thing on - basically laughing at my face while deducting from my bank account. Not bitter.
They have their negatives but 24 hour is the least worst in my eyes.

louis said:
I'm going to get a gym membership, but I truly do not know which gym better benefits. Tomorrow I'm going to go ask for information. For now, I would like some opinions

Which gym is closer to you, home and/or work? If a gym is a trek to get to, it's that much less likely you'll work out. Are you likely to work out at odd hours? If so, 24 hour fitness may work better for you. Also consider what non-local cities you may regularly visit, such as for family, and whether or not they have a 24 hr Fitness or an LA Fitness.

Also, get a free 1 or 2 week pass for wherever you're likely to work out to see if you like the equipment/crowds/etc.

I currently belong to 2 gyms: LA Fitness and UFC. UFC is far superior, but few really good locations (all the small ones don't match up to the motherships in Corona and Rosemead). I was with 24 Hour Fitness for about 10 years, and was generally satisfied, depending on location. I had 24 Hour Fitness at a $100/year renewal rate, but finally dropped it after I found that in 2 years I'd gone there once and no longer had any locations close to me.

I joined 24-hour fitness when I started school at UCI. Monthly dues were $3/month and I hardly ever went but it was such a sweet deal I couldn't let it expire so kept paying renewals... 3-4 years ago they bumped the pricing by 5%. Now I pay $3.15/month :) 

They have Lifetime Fitness here in OC?  Are they as big as the one other states?

thatOSguy said:
IrvineRealtor said:
I joined 24-hour fitness when I started school at UCI. Monthly dues were $3/month and I hardly ever went but it was such a sweet deal I couldn't let it expire so kept paying renewals... 3-4 years ago they bumped the pricing by 5%. Now I pay $3.15/month :)

Similar story... Dad bought a family membership during some crazy promotion 20+ years ago with Family Fitness (now 24 hour). He's NEVER used it but us "kids" do - it's $1.75 per person.

this feels just like property taxes. the new members/owners are subsidizing the older members/owners.

thatOSguy said:
IrvineRealtor said:

Similar story... Dad bought a family membership during some crazy promotion 20+ years ago with Family Fitness (now 24 hour). He's NEVER used it but us "kids" do - it's $1.75 per person.

Alright guys beat this:  $20/year for 24hrs, that's about $1.67/month, I charge it on my Quicksilver card for 1.5% back, making it $19.70/year or $1.64/month :)

It's not how much you pay, it's how much you use it.

My wife has one of those old family plans from college when 24 was Family... but she hasn't gone in 10 years so that's just us subsidizing everyone else.

ps9 said:
thatOSguy said:
IrvineRealtor said:

Alright guys beat this:  $20/year for 24hrs, that's about $1.67/month, I charge it on my Quicksilver card for 1.5% back, making it $19.70/year or $1.64/month :)

Winner, winner. cucaracha dinner.

Back