Author Topic: Recommendations for landscaping companies  (Read 132246 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2769
  • -Received: 4099
  • 3CWG
Re: Recommendations for landscaping companies
« Reply #450 on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »
Here's what the CC&R reads:

Construction and Installation of Landscape/Hardscape:

1. No work may be performed upon any Lot unless the person or company performing such work (the
“Contractor”) is licensed by the State of California to perform such work and said Contractor provides
written evidence that he/she currently maintains in effect broad-form commercial general liability, errors
and omissions, automotive and workers’ compensation insurance for its employees whose services are to be
on or at the Project. Each owner who intends to hire any Contractor to repair any portion of the owners Lot
or to perform any other work on or about the Project (including any Owner Work) shall provide to the
Association evidence of the Contractors license and required insurance prior to any entry by the Contractor
or any of its employees upon or within the Project.

Is there more to this?

I think this applies if you are hiring someone to work on your lot, but if you are doing it yourself, this clause may not apply.

I don't think a CC&R would prevent an owner from working on their own house unless it's specialized work that requires a license such as electrical, plumbing or major landscaping projects. But if you were going to lay down sod or make your yard low water landscaped, as long as you are not putting in new irrigation and drainage (which is borderline), you should be able to DIY it.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Navigatn

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 6
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #451 on: July 19, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »

1. No work may be performed upon any Lot unless the person or company performing such work (the
“Contractor”) is licensed by the State of California to perform such work and said Contractor provides
written evidence that he/she currently maintains in effect broad-form commercial general liability, errors
and omissions, automotive and workers’ compensation insurance for its employees whose services are to be
on or at the Project. Each owner who intends to hire any Contractor to repair any portion of the owners Lot
or to perform any other work on or about the Project (including any Owner Work) shall provide to the
Association evidence of the Contractors license and required insurance prior to any entry by the Contractor

Is there more to this?

I think this applies if you are hiring someone to work on your lot, but if you are doing it yourself, this clause may not apply.

I don't think a CC&R would prevent an owner from working on their own house unless it's specialized work that requires a license such as electrical, plumbing or major landscaping projects. But if you were going to lay down sod or make your yard low water landscaped, as long as you are not putting in new irrigation and drainage (which is borderline), you should be able to DIY it.

I've talked to neighbors and with the HOA.  Any alterations to the front/back yard that visually changes the appearance of the yard requires licensed contractors.  I received an email from the HOA about a small patch of dead grass in my front yard, so they are pretty serious when it comes to maintaining visual appeal of the community.

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 505
  • -Received: 789
« Reply #452 on: July 19, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »

Is there more to this?

I've talked to neighbors and with the HOA.  Any alterations to the front/back yard that visually changes the appearance of the yard requires licensed contractors.  I received an email from the HOA about a small patch of dead grass in my front yard, so they are pretty serious when it comes to maintaining visual appeal of the community.
There's different ways about going about your situation. You can possibly meet with a landscaping committee member and go over your plans with them. Also, you can mention you are capable of doing it, and ask them for an exception. You can also mention that they have the final approval over the landscape. Then also you can also mention your money situation that you didn't budget this cost when you bought the house and tell them how much a licensed contractor cost and how much it will cost you to do it yourself. (Optional)

It's all up to you. I'm sure you can find a licensed contractor that is reasonable, but it might take some time to find. (Try yelp or google and search in the area that is not pricey, or call the good landscaping contractor tell them your budget and make up a story and that you will pay CASH at the end of the project)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:55:08 AM by eyephone »

Offline Dreamhome

• Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #453 on: September 21, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
Any recommendations for landscapers among Mahe, Ben and Savanah. Who charges less ?
Also input on the quality of work

I know this is kind of late...please don't choose Ben for any landscape work. We made an agreement with him. Work quality is so poor and still going on after more than three months. Ours is a small mini backyard. Here people call him as 12K guy no matter how small the project is.
He will beg for  money all the time and tell stories. But once 90% money down. He will take it easy.
No matter if he finishes work on time or not but the output is very poor. Especially when it comes to materials, those are the cheapest you could see ever and also the workmanship. They treat your house like trash..  >:(

Be cautious, his work is not worth the money he demands. He doesn't responds to call or keep up to his promises at all. I wouldn't recommend him to even get a quote.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Fresco @ Eastwood Village by Yousr
[Today at 02:36:13 PM]

Re: New communities in Portola Springs by OCtoSV
[Today at 12:50:52 PM]

Re: New communities in Portola Springs by CalBears96
[Today at 12:17:18 PM]

Re: Housing Analysis by USCTrojanCPA