Author Topic: Portola Springs odors  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Mo Jay

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
Portola Springs odors
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »
Irvine mayor and city staff are coming tomorrow Thursday at 5 pm to survey the 250k cleanup of Bee Canyon Wash from years of leftover organic sediment that is the main culprit causing the periodic odors of this area.

I’ve also lobbied and have gotten approval for regular maintenance of this channel to prevent odors. I’ve also gotten the Irvine company to mow the dry bush from the hill at tomato springs which was completed today.

City manager and I met today with a few neighbors. An independent scientific consultant is also hired as of today to test the wash and ensure safety of it for future.

The meeting will be tomorrow Thursday 5 pm just outside the property at 113 Tomato Spring, Irvine, CA (please wait outside, do not ring the door of this house). Mayor Shea and city directors and consultants will be there.

If any of you have been affected by the odors (probably because you live within 1000 feet of Bee Canyon Wash) and have the ability to come tomorrow, it’d be nice so we can seal the deal and ensure all voices are heard and the project gets done.

Cleanup will start next week and we are told it will be completed by end of Feb 2020.

Offline Mety

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 195
  • -Received: 236
Re: Portola Springs odors
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 09:35:53 AM »
YF

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 105
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:47:30 PM »
Would this get filed under environmental issue or just a nuisance?  Either way I guess it'll get rectified based on the ops post.  But what if the expert states there's nothing wrong based on their tests, do they still do a clean up or is the clean up a done deal already?

Offline WTTCHMN

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 308
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 03:24:24 PM »
Irvine mayor and city staff are coming tomorrow Thursday at 5 pm to survey the 250k cleanup of Bee Canyon Wash from years of leftover organic sediment that is the main culprit causing the periodic odors of this area.

I’ve also lobbied and have gotten approval for regular maintenance of this channel to prevent odors. I’ve also gotten the Irvine company to mow the dry bush from the hill at tomato springs which was completed today.

City manager and I met today with a few neighbors. An independent scientific consultant is also hired as of today to test the wash and ensure safety of it for future.

The meeting will be tomorrow Thursday 5 pm just outside the property at 113 Tomato Spring, Irvine, CA (please wait outside, do not ring the door of this house). Mayor Shea and city directors and consultants will be there.

If any of you have been affected by the odors (probably because you live within 1000 feet of Bee Canyon Wash) and have the ability to come tomorrow, it’d be nice so we can seal the deal and ensure all voices are heard and the project gets done.

Cleanup will start next week and we are told it will be completed by end of Feb 2020.

IHS was spot on.  Looks like Bee Canyon Wash is the trash gravy pool he was referring to back in 2016:

https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,15011.msg301699.html#msg301699

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 337
  • -Received: 247
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 10:15:59 AM »
Stonegates, Lutheran sport fields, and Eastwood is also in the proximity of this trash gravy, no?

Damn, they better contain this quick.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »

IHS was spot on.  Looks like Bee Canyon Wash is the trash gravy pool he was referring to back in 2016:

https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,15011.msg301699.html#msg301699

But IHS also lately recommended Cal Pac homes in that location. Change of minds?

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »
Stonegates, Lutheran sport fields, and Eastwood is also in the proximity of this trash gravy, no?

You forgot Orchard Hills, Northwood Pointe, Portola High, Northwood High, and on and on.

BTW, who that Mo Jay? Forgive me if I'm ignorant. Ready to be disciplined.

Offline marmott

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 30
  • -Received: 65
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »
He/she doesn’t have to be a regular to post that kind of info. Congratulation on convincing the decision makers to come and see the issue.

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused NMLS Licensed
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 851
  • -Received: 1093
  • Isaiah 58: 6-11
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »
Hmmm.... "leftover organic sediment" is quite the gentle name.

Although "Trash Gravy" is my current favorite, any other less sanitized names we can use to better describes the "LOS"?

My .02c
My .02c

SGIP

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 445
  • -Received: 397
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »
Hmmm.... "leftover organic sediment" is quite the gentle name.

Although "Trash Gravy" is my current favorite, any other less sanitized names we can use to better describes the "LOS"?

My .02c
Landfill Pus
Trash Enema

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 427
  • -Received: 674
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 06:35:17 PM »

Deleting my comment. I’m getting confused. I thought this was regarding the asphalt smell.

But I have been talking about PS. Should of listened to me and others.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:40:34 PM by eyephone »

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused NMLS Licensed
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 851
  • -Received: 1093
  • Isaiah 58: 6-11
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 07:21:28 PM »
You had to go there Happiness....   :o  What's been read cannot be unread.
My .02c

SGIP

Offline irvine buyer

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1
  • -Received: 34
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
I live near the Bee Canyon Wash.  About two years ago a consultant was hired (by whom I do not know) to investigate the sulfurous odor.  I had a discussion with this person who told me that the vegetation that is being allowed to grow in the wash channel was blocking the flow of water and creating swamp-like conditions that produce this sulfurous odor.  Clear the vegetation regularly and the smell should go away.  The problem has been that the vegetation is not being regularly cleared.  I'm happy to hear that the city is committed to regularly maintaining the wash.  Kudos to Mo Jay for your efforts! 

I asked this consultant about the possibility of the smell coming from landfill runoff.  He explained to me there is an extensive groundwater and methane gas monitoring system in place at the landfill with something like over 100 monitoring wells.  There are collection systems in place that are regularly monitored.  Much of this in on the landfill's website and the landfill offers tours to those concerned or curious.  He explained that this landfill has more built in environmental protection systems that older landfills such as the one the Rancho San Joaquin golf course sits on or the one in Newport Coast.  Bottom line is in his professional opinion it is highly unlikely that the Bee Canyon Wash is getting runoff from the Bowerman landfill.

If anyone posting about the existence of landfill runoff in the Bee Canyon wash has facts to back this up, please provide the information so that the responsible entities can address the situation.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:13:44 AM by irvine buyer »

Offline gpquest

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 12
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 05:06:42 PM »
Dump your property there and move far away from this junk yard.

Offline gpquest

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 12
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »

Don't worry. It's very safe. This is the most modern, high tech landfill ever built in the world. Your air and water is as good as nature's best. All is good. j/k dunno to be honest. No one does unless they want to sell you their million dollar+ shack.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal