Author Topic: Landscaping cost  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Compressed-Village

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 250
  • -Received: 178
Re: Landscaping cost
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2018, 04:54:25 PM »
Does anyone remember years ago when homes used to include basic front and back landscaping?

Anyone even remember Centex builder? My first new construction was by Centex basic front yard with sprinkler and grass. Backyard bare bone dirt.

I think Centex was one of the builders in West Irvine and from what I remember, basic front landscaping was included and you can pay for backyard landscaping.

I'm trying to remember, but I think William Lyon homes used to do front and back many moons ago.

That's pretty good IHO, they build in Northpark as well. This was after West Irvine. Those days a half million dollars house get you a real nice pad. Man, our dollars what happen to it?

Offline NYT

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 85
  • -Received: 157
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 01:35:12 PM »
I have been interviewing landscapers about my front and back yard (5,000 sq. ft lot with a 4,000+ sq. ft house on it, so basically not much yard though likely a tad bigger than typical Irvine new builds).  Received a quote for $60k to plant some planters, install tile over concrete, and build a water wall -- but that estimate does not include ANY materials, i.e., I would need to separately purchase the tiles, plants, trees, etc. 

I've never dealt with a new build before so I don't have much context but this sounds extremely expensive considering this is 60k for basically just some yard labor?  What have others been paying for landscaping and typically do homeowners have to provide the materials separately?

General rough guide is that you should spend about 10% of the price of your home on landscaping. If you're not spending that much, you're not doing your home justice. I live in a (new at the time) community where the minimum cost of a new home was $1,000,000. One of the homes looks like they went to Home Depot and spent $5,000 on landscaping, and it shows. I can go through and tell you exactly which homes spent the necessary amount and which didn't because it shows.

Offline brianlin87

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 4
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2019, 09:25:08 AM »
I have been interviewing landscapers about my front and back yard (5,000 sq. ft lot with a 4,000+ sq. ft house on it, so basically not much yard though likely a tad bigger than typical Irvine new builds).  Received a quote for $60k to plant some planters, install tile over concrete, and build a water wall -- but that estimate does not include ANY materials, i.e., I would need to separately purchase the tiles, plants, trees, etc. 

I've never dealt with a new build before so I don't have much context but this sounds extremely expensive considering this is 60k for basically just some yard labor?  What have others been paying for landscaping and typically do homeowners have to provide the materials separately?

General rough guide is that you should spend about 10% of the price of your home on landscaping. If you're not spending that much, you're not doing your home justice. I live in a (new at the time) community where the minimum cost of a new home was $1,000,000. One of the homes looks like they went to Home Depot and spent $5,000 on landscaping, and it shows. I can go through and tell you exactly which homes spent the necessary amount and which didn't because it shows.

Hard to believe this "rule of thumb" considering the size of lots that are being subdivided in Irvine lately.  I'd say the rule of thumb is closer to 5% (for the bare minimum) and close to/over 10% if you're including a pool.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2116
  • -Received: 1670
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »
Curious, are landscaping costs coming down a bit now that the higher end new home market has cooled?  I'm thinking of redoing my front and rear yards but I'm not in any hurry.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links