Why are there so many stoplights on sand canyon?

IrvineOnTheWknds

Is it just me or does this street have a ridiculous amount of stoplights?  I don't really see the point, not one to complain but it seems like this is one of the slowest streets with the constant stopping for all the stop lights.  Is this due to the large amount of residences on both sides of the street or am I missing something here?  Also irvine blvd near the going up towards the 133 also seems to have a disproportionate amount of stoplights, its very difficult to catch a nice string of green lights lol. 

It is a fairly big project for the city to time all of the stoplights and with all of the new constructions they haven't bothered to do it in the new construction areas. It will happen in many years when the construction is done.

I only feel that there's too many lights near the I-5, rest of the San Canyon is just fine.

The bus yard will be moved and the Marine Way will be closed in the future, so at least there will be one less light there.  Hope the city will come up with something to improve the congestion at this area. 

I think the main issue is that the lights seem to just stop you every time so there is no flow. 

paperboyNC said:
It is a fairly big project for the city to time all of the stoplights and with all of the new constructions they haven't bothered to do it in the new construction areas. It will happen in many years when the construction is done.

Agreed, just not synced as I drive Sand Canyon every day and notice as a light turns green, the following is turning yellow. Sand Canyon and Portola has gotten a lot worse over the past year due to all the new construction. 

Just remember Sand Canyon is way better than it used to be, when there was construction for the underpass for the railroad I avoided Sand Canyon even though that was the most direct route.

lnc said:
The bus yard will be moved and the Marine Way will be closed in the future, so at least there will be one less light there. 

Do you know something that I don't? 

paydawg said:
lnc said:
The bus yard will be moved and the Marine Way will be closed in the future, so at least there will be one less light there. 

Do you know something that I don't? 

Actually the Marine Way is not really going to be closed but reroute to where the bus yard is at.  The bus yard will be the future entrance to the GP.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,12664.msg251050.html#msg251050

proposed.jpg

Wow - that would be great for all of us who exit off Sand Canyon and the 5.  That busyard is an eyesore.

Isn't this where the base is going to be. The one with a food court thing.

When they were re-doing the I-5/Sand Canyon interchange, I complained to the city about the horrible traffic flow on Sand Canyon. I was assured that the lights would be synchronized from the 405 to Portola once the construction was finished. Traffic lights continue to be horrible. I wrote the city a couple months ago again, asking what's going on with the plans to synchronize Sand Canyon. No response. :(

One of the big problems is the merging of the two left lanes on southbound Sand Canyon near the bus depot, that creates a lot of congestion. I think it would be better to keep the two lanes all the way to the southbound onramp to the 5. Maybe when they reroute the bus depot entrance things will get better.

fumbling said:
One of the big problems is the merging of the two left lanes on southbound Sand Canyon near the bus depot, that creates a lot of congestion. I think it would be better to keep the two lanes all the way to the southbound onramp to the 5. Maybe when they reroute the bus depot entrance things will get better.

Yeah, that's just weird there. merge the lanes into one, then have to make a hard left in oder to get on the 5 south turn lanes.

NYT said:
fumbling said:

Yeah, that's just weird there. merge the lanes into one, then have to make a hard left in order to get on the 5 south turn lanes.

They actually timed up the lights in the morning from Irvine Blvd to past Burton road so that you hit all greens.

Well done traffic planners!

paperboyNC said:
They actually timed up the lights in the morning from Irvine Blvd to past Burton road so that you hit all greens.

Actually made it all the way from Portola past Laguna Canyon with all greens this morning. How many lights is that?

1. Saints Way
2. Spring Meadow
3. Irvine Blvd
4. Strata
5. Towngate
6. Trabuco
7. Roosevelt
8. Nightmist
10. I-5 N ramp
11. Marine Way
12. I-5 S ramp
13. Burt Rd.
14. Laguna Canyon

14 greens in a row!

Of course I then hit 5 red lights in a row:
1. Irvine Center Dr.
2. Waterworks Way
3. Barranca (turned right)
4. Valley Oak
5. Jeffrey

paperboyNC said:
paperboyNC said:

Actually made it all the way from Portola past Laguna Canyon with all greens this morning. How many lights is that?

1. Saints Way
2. Spring Meadow
3. Irvine Blvd
4. Strata
5. Towngate
6. Trabuco
7. Roosevelt
8. Nightmist
10. I-5 N ramp
11. Marine Way
12. I-5 S ramp
13. Burt Rd.
14. Laguna Canyon

14 greens in a row!

Of course I then hit 5 red lights in a row:
1. Irvine Center Dr.
2. Waterworks Way
3. Barranca (turned right)
4. Valley Oak
5. Jeffrey

14!! That should be a record. 
Flip side is if you've hit all reds.  That's like 30 mins of angry driving just to go < 5 miles

GH said:
Just take the toll road.  your sanity is worth more than $0.90  :p

I often do, but it takes a while to get back to Sand Canyon when turning right on Barranca so taking the 133 doesn't help much.

Back