Why are there so many stoplights on sand canyon?

paperboyNC said:
GH said:
Just take the toll road.  your sanity is worth more than $0.90  :p

I often do, but it takes a while to get back to Sand Canyon when turning right on Barranca so taking the 133 doesn't help much.

I think still much better compared to Sand Canyon especially if you are coming from Portola Springs (I usually just take ridge valley to go to the toll road instead of going to Sand Canyon).  I also take the Barranca exit to go to 405 most of the time as the 133 entrance to 405 does get backed up during rush hour.  I think time wise, it might not be a lot, but not having to stress out the stop and go is well worth it :)

GH said:
paperboyNC said:
GH said:

I often do, but it takes a while to get back to Sand Canyon when turning right on Barranca so taking the 133 doesn't help much.

I think still much better compared to Sand Canyon especially if you are coming from Portola Springs (I usually just take ridge valley to go to the toll road instead of going to Sand Canyon).  I also take the Barranca exit to go to 405 most of the time as the 133 entrance to 405 does get backed up during rush hour.  I think time wise, it might not be a lot, but not having to stress out the stop and go is well worth it :)

Have you tried Sand Canyon recently? The lights are consistently synced every morning. Hit 13 greens in a row this morning (they are no longer synced past Burt Rd for some reason).

paperboyNC said:
GH said:
paperboyNC said:
GH said:

Have you tried Sand Canyon recently? The lights are consistently synced every morning. Hit 13 greens in a row this morning (they are no longer synced past Burt Rd for some reason).

Synced via all yellow lights for me this morning until waterworks,...  Barranca and Alton also not synced

sell4u said:
No, you are not the only one.
I talked about this back in February:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,14147.0.html
The traffic flow, IMO, about 90% of the time absolutely sucks in this city.

Well, Irvine is more like a big city than a small suburb, so there will be traffic in all directions and there will be stoplights.  You could choose to live in a less populated suburb, like Rancho Mission Viejo, but then you're far away from everything.  Pick your poison.

paperboyNC said:
GH said:
paperboyNC said:
GH said:

I regularly drive from Portola down to the 5 via Sand Canyon. I have yet to see any regularity in synching. I think it's more random luck.

Here's a good one I had the other day -

I took a drive to the Spectrum from the Oak Creek area. So, driving East on Alton.  Here are the red lights I stopped at:
Royal Oak (to be fair this is my starting signal, so really it shouldn't "count")
Valley Oak
Sand Canyon
Laguna Canyon
Pacifica
Banning
Irvine Center Drive
Here's the 2 signals I made it through
Meridian
Gateway

On a Sunday morning I should be able to get to the Spectrum from Oak creek in about 10 min's, and that's driving the speed limit, maybe a few mph faster.  This other trip was right around 18min's.  18min's from Oak Creek to the Spectrum. Gave me a great LOL.

Well, they renamed part of Trabuco Road (east of Sand Canyon) Great Park Blvd. So now Trabuco Road exists between Culver and Sand Canyon, disappears completely and suddenly becomes Great Park Blvd, and then reappears as the continuation of Irvine Blvd in Lake Forest. Ugh.

IMG_4949_zpsjvmm9gdg.jpg

Reminds of Portola which ends in Portola Springs, then starts again near the top of Alton in Foothill Ranch, and they names a HS after it when the school is not even on that street!  Double Ugh.

aquabliss said:
Reminds of Portola which ends in Portola Springs, then starts again near the top of Alton in Foothill Ranch, and they names a HS after it when the school is not even on that street!  Double Ugh.

I don't mind Portola so much because (1) long-term plans which I don't think will ever occur are to have the two ends match up at some time in the future and (2) the high school is in the Portola area which makes it a reasonable name. I don't think they will ever connect the two ends of Portola because it'll compete with the toll road, which already has lower than expected drivers.

Initial plans had the portola springs connect, also Jeffrey connecting to the toll.  Some old reports indicate it needs to have enough traffic volume. 

The plans did detail Alton extension to foothill ranch.

I think culver was supposed to connect to the toll, but OH happened and made a loop instead.

These reports are on the city website archived, pretty sure it's still accessible.

Back