White granite options

I wanted a white countertop that wasn't porous or prone to staining like granite, couldn't chip or crack like quartz, and would be easily repairable unlike both. I had granite in my 3 previous kitchens and was so over it, nothing but problems for me. Also, granite is sooo 2006. Honed finishes are more current than polished finishes. I liked the soft look of soapstone but didn't want the upkeep. I finally went with a material I hadn't considered at all until I saw it for myself in person -- DuPont's new generation of Corian in the color Sea Salt. Three years into it and I'm very, very happy with it. My second choice would have been quartz... like the consistency, a very clean look. It's more brittle than the others so I like it better for a bathroom than a kitchen. I hope this helps.

ETA: If you have your heart set on granite, go with what makes your heart sing, but I would just try to keep the movement small.

I concur with SoCal.  Granite is so 2006- so if you like it, keep pattern small.  I like WTTCHMN's link to Ceasarstone.  Also, Cambria is another quartz line that has marble like looks.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
here is our kitchen before we moved in.

210hoap.jpg

My God. I do believe that may be the biggest I've ever seen in my life.

was in meetings all day. just saw this. you guys are fast. 

Socal - if you saw it in person it would be the biggest for sure you have ever seen :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I have a feeling Paris is looking for a less busy pattern. Something more white with very light streaks/variances... like marble.

For granite, it's going to be what Inc posted... otherwise... if not marble, you have to go quartz to get a more consistent white counter.

I think when I was granite shopping, I was also looking for something with the look of marble but with better maintenance issue. 

To get a more consistent white counter, beside the marble, quartz or granite, I think there's another option, quartzite. 

Here's pic of Princess White Quartzite.http://www.arizonatile.com/PRINCESS-WHITE-P1019C219.aspx

Attachments

• Princess-White.png
    Princess-White.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
i just read up on quartzite, sounds like a lot of places sell quartzite that is not 100% pure quartzite and if its not pure it will stain.

irvinehomeowner said:
I thought quartzite still had the maintenance of granite.

Yes, the level of maintenance is similar to granite but better than marble.  The quartzite is quite expensive and not too many selections/standing inventories.

Actually most of these white granite selections are also very expensive.  Just wait 'till Paris got the price quote from the design center for these, probably another sticker shock awaits.

lnc said:
Actually most of these white granite selections are also very expensive.  Just wait 'till Paris got the price quote from the design center for these, probably another sticker shock awaits.

our granite upgrade to bianco antico was about 8,500 (five slabs).

Paris167 said:
Anyone have particularly stunning white marble in their kitchen and want to share what type of granite it is?

Our kitchen will be whites, grays, blacks and since I can't go with a marble counter due to durability I'm looking for a nice white granite to put into the kitchen.
Paris167 said:
There's so many beautiful options, and it's hard to pin down which is best to match your cabinets and floors.  Would you consider getting a professional's opinion?  We used Lindsay from Lulu Designs.  I promise, she's affordable (inexpensive, at least IMO), and you can tackle many ?s re: your house in 1 hour.  $150/hr.  And she will come to you.  But you have to get all your ?s in within that hour, as she charges by 15-20 min increments if you call her after your meeting.  You can see a youtube clip of her work from HGTV.  She's so down to earth.  And she gives practical and cost-effective insight, if you want it.
http://luludesignsonline.com/

She helped us with our previous home, from picking furnitures, to placement, light fixtures, etc.  I'm gonna see her for paint colors and kitchen remodel, soon.

Good luck with your counter top shopping!  I myself went to a couple of slab yards and got overwhelmed with the choices.

lnc said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I thought quartzite still had the maintenance of granite.

Yes, the level of maintenance is similar to granite but better than marble.  The quartzite is quite expensive and not too many selections/standing inventories.

Agree! I saw the princess white in the slab yard - gorgeous but it's basically 8x the cost!

I liked Alaska white but the pattern is very loud and I think recent design concepts are moving towards more subtle granites to clean looking caesarstone.

The trouble with choosing from the slab yard is you're looking at something head on in the bright sun and it's going to look different at an angle inside your kitchen with subtle or overhead lighting. Might consider giving lulu design a call although I need to make a decision this week!

This is where quartz/eStone/Caesarstone has an advantage over granite as the cost difference for white isn't as significant.

Another option is the "eco-friendly" recycled glass countertop. Not sure if the design center has that as an option but at least you can say you were being green.

Paris167 said:
I liked Alaska white but the pattern is very loud and I think recent design concepts are moving towards more subtle granites to clean looking caesarstone.

Have you consider using both caesarstone and granite for your kitchen?

There's trend of using caesarstone at the surrounding and granite at the island.  This way, you will have a clean looking surround and a more bold, focal point  island.  Alaska White is quite stunning and the pattern reminds me of modern art.  And if you use Alaska White granite at the island only and caesarstone at surrounding contertops,  I think it will work pretty well.  Also if you use this combination, I don't think Alaska White's pattern will be too busy, it will be quite a stunning contrast. 

Another thing with busy patten granite is that it might hide stains in case home owner accidentally stains it.

lnc said:
Have you consider using both caesarstone and granite for your kitchen?

There's trend of using caesarstone at the surrounding and granite at the island.  This way, you will have a clean looking surround and a more bold, focal point  island. 
+1. really like this look

Back