Where do you breakfast?

The Penguin - Laguna Beach
Harbor House Cafe - Dana Point
Ramos House - San Juan Capistrano
Blackmarket Bakery - Costa Mesa (2nd vote!)
Anepalco's Cafe - Main Street, right by CHOC

So I had to try the French Toast at Layer Cake's since ps9's avatar reminds me of it all the time.

It was okay... I prefer Ruby's Cinnamon Roll French Toast or Corner Bakery's... Layer's was too soft. Incidentally, also went to Corner recently and they don't do that French Toast anymore, they just do pancakes... wah. That was like when Champagne's stopped doing waffles.

I will say that a simple cheese/bacon omelette at Layer is a good value, $7 and it has hash browns and fruit.

irvinehomeowner said:
Broken Yolk is trying to open an OC location... maybe they should take over El Cholo's spot.

http://thebrokenyolkcafe.com/index.php?module=cms&name=store&action=store_details&id=35

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. For breakfast, right now I'm eating the new(?) limited edition Thomas's Banana Bread English Muffin. They are very good. They have had a bunch of other new flavors out, lately, like Apple Pie and Pumpkin Spice, and Cranberry. I would say the Banana Bread now ties with my top favorite which is Sourdough. The sourdough would be better if it was sourer (is that a word?)

DSC_7294.jpg

I never go anywhere for breakfast, as the point of the thread is, but here is something I have at home. I recently got the Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker. You may have seen it on a T.V. commercial recently.

25475-inset13.jpg

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/breakfast-breakfast-sandwich-maker-25475.html

It has a bread chamber and an egg chamber. You lay your bread, any bacon or meat or cheese on top of it, flip down the next chamber, crack an egg where it cooks on the plate, then "float" your next slice of bread or English Muffin on top of it. When it's done you slide out the egg plate. Everything cooks in a perfect circle and stacks neatly. Well, not if you do it the way they tell you to. I have perfected their instructions to put the ingredients in a different order and allow the egg to set for 4 minutes before adding the top slice. It works perfectly the way I do it. At first, I thought this appliance might be too gimmicky but I do like it. Who wants a sandwich?

So do you use those banana English muffins in a breakfast sandwich? Seems like a weird combination of flavors (although Elvis wouldn't mind).

My kids favorite breakfast place is Jack In The Box, because they serve breakfast food at lunch and dinner time. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
So do you use those banana English muffins in a breakfast sandwich? Seems like a weird combination of flavors (although Elvis wouldn't mind).

My kids favorite breakfast place is Jack In The Box, because they serve breakfast food at lunch and dinner time. :)

I thought about it  but, no, I haven't tried this kind in the maker. I just bought them for the first time last night when I went grocery shopping. I just eat them with a little bit of butter and honey. I use the sourdough and regular English muffins in the sandwich maker which the size & shape was specifically designed for. Great idea -- a Banana bread, peanut butter & bacon breakfast sandwich.
gitarist.gif
  :p

Ooooo your kids are right. 24-hour breakfast places are THE BEST!

So after the 3rd attempt, we finally got into Stacks.

The first time, we got in line but the kids didn't want to wait. The second time we did a drive-by and the line was even longer than the first time... then we went to Snooze and was quoted a 170-minute wait... uh yeah... ended up at IHOP.

The 3rd time we got there a little earlier, like around 8:30am. Still a line but it moved fairly quickly. They changed their system, they put a number on a table for your party ahead of time. Pretty good for them as they get all that outdoor seating without having to pay for the square footage.

Once we finally got in to order, the food came pretty quickly. It was okay, nothing really special over other breakfast places. They don't have hash browns to the chagrin of one of the kids but at least they have Hawaiian food if you feel like something other than breakfast stuff.

It's not the cheapest food and I don't understand the appeal as IHOP over on Michelson closed down and their food isn't that much different than Stacks (the IHOP in the Marketplace we went to on our 2nd attemps was pretty packed though).

I think Knowlwoods is better as standard breakfast fare and no line.

Snooze looks too frufru for me but that just makes the spouse want to go there more.

irvinehomeowner said:
So after the 3rd attempt, we finally got into Stacks.

The first time, we got in line but the kids didn't want to wait. The second time we did a drive-by and the line was even longer than the first time... then we went to Snooze and was quoted a 170-minute wait... uh yeah... ended up at IHOP.

The 3rd time we got there a little earlier, like around 8:30am. Still a line but it moved fairly quickly. They changed their system, they put a number on a table for your party ahead of time. Pretty good for them as they get all that outdoor seating without having to pay for the square footage.

Once we finally got in to order, the food came pretty quickly. It was okay, nothing really special over other breakfast places. They don't have hash browns to the chagrin of one of the kids but at least they have Hawaiian food if you feel like something other than breakfast stuff.

It's not the cheapest food and I don't understand the appeal as IHOP over on Michelson closed down and their food isn't that much different than Stacks (the IHOP in the Marketplace we went to on our 2nd attemps was pretty packed though).

I think Knowlwoods is better as standard breakfast fare and no line.

Snooze looks too frufru for me but that just makes the spouse want to go there more.

But those mac nut pancakes though.
I've only gone twice. Have done the drive by a few times and left after seeing the line. I have also tried calling in take out orders but they don't pick up the phone during "busy times".

bones said:
But those mac nut pancakes though.
IHOP has them now as part of their Tropical Summer specials. Not as big as Stacks but I liked IHOP's better.

I have also tried calling in take out orders but they don't pick up the phone during "busy times".
Yeah, that's irritating. Snooze does that too now (so not sure how qwertakeout got his order in... maybe online?).

Haven't done Snooze, tried once and wait was over an hour.  We left and went to Stacks instead.  Ordered and got assigned seating, glad they have a dedicated person doing the seating.  Don't like squatters!  Food was ok, coffee decent.  I enjoyed the fried rice.  The squeeze bottle syrup is ingenious.  If I remember correctly the syrup dispensers at IHOP were always sticky/nasty.  We'll be back and great for refueling pokemon as well, it still has Sushi Boy as the pokestop. 

Love the outside patio dining by the sea at Hotel Laguna.  Very relaxing.  Knowlwood is easy with kids and always has friendly service.

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Do you serve breakfast burritos?
Four Sea restaurant (breakfast only, in Jeffrey/Irvine Center Drive center) serves Taiwanese style breakfast burritos.
I think Four Seas closed down.

Edit: Duh. They are a breakfast/brunch place so they are only open until 3:30. I always wondered why they were closed at night. 

Do they serve breakfast until closing at Stacks?  I might try to call in my order and do random drive-bys to check the lines.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Do they serve breakfast until closing at Stacks?  I might try to call in my order and do random drive-bys to check the lines.

Open 7 days a week 6:30am-2:00pm, breakfast served all day.

iacrenter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Open 7 days a week 6:30am-2:00pm, breakfast served all day.

Ok, I'll see if I can call in my order at 1:59pm tomorrow.

Back