What's missing in Irvine?

paperboyNC said:
Nightlife. Even the surrounding cities don't have anything remotely comparable to San Diego's gaslamp district.
Gaslamp is too touristy.  If you want some of the best SD nightlife action, I recommend Hillcrest.

Happiness said:
paperboyNC said:
Nightlife. Even the surrounding cities don't have anything remotely comparable to San Diego's gaslamp district.
Gaslamp is too touristy.  If you want some of the best SD nightlife action, I recommend Hillcrest.

True. Used to live in SD so I've been to many of the various night life destinations including Hillcrest, PB and many of the beach communities.

Happiness said:
paperboyNC said:

The Gaslamp is the antithesis of Irvine.  The bar scene is great if you're, say, 24.  Hillcrest is great if you're 24 and gay.

WTTCHMN said:
Happiness said:
paperboyNC said:

The Gaslamp is the antithesis of Irvine.  The bar scene is great if you're, say, 24.  Hillcrest is great if you're 24 and gay.

Yeah.. Irvine wants to keep the night life out.. although the asians are finding ways to open up shop late.

irvinehomeowner said:
AW said:
Irvine nightlife = Spectrum, end of story, don't stay up past curfew!
Depends... Diamond Jamboree is packed almost every night... University Center is getting crowded too.

It's packed with fobs, so I have to discount it.
I don't go there, because the parking is not that good.

USCTrojanCPA said:
They should have just built a race track at GP.
Track as in drag strip that existed decades agohttp://ochistorical.blogspot.com/2009/02/orange-county-international-raceway.html?m=1

Or like wsir/button willow, I think PS would've been the better location compared to GP as you can have elevation changes and more high speed cambered turns.

Either case, the noise level can be heard for miles, every now and then you can hear people still race at night but significantly less now

AW said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
They should have just built a race track at GP.
Track as in drag strip that existed decades agohttp://ochistorical.blogspot.com/2009/02/orange-county-international-raceway.html?m=1

Or like wsir/button willow, I think PS would've been the better location compared to GP as you can have elevation changes and more high speed cambered turns.

Either case, the noise level can be heard for miles, every now and then you can hear people still race at night but significantly less now

Not a drag strip...like road course like at Laguna Seca.

I chuckle every time I drive by the new Dickeys BBQ in Tustin.  It's right next to the Pure Barre that opened about three months earlier.

Irvine could really have a shuttle bus service to LAX. Could set a couple of stops in Irvine(e.g. Irvine station, Jeffrey/Walnut, diamond Jamboree...) and go directly onto 405 and all the way to LAX. I am really tired of picking up someone in LAX and asking friends to pick me up in LAX

ukuoy said:
Irvine could really have a shuttle bus service to LAX. Could set a couple of stops in Irvine(e.g. Irvine station, Jeffrey/Walnut, diamond Jamboree...) and go directly onto 405 and all the way to LAX. I am really tired of picking up someone in LAX and asking friends to pick me up in LAX

They did have one but it didn't get enough business to stay (Flyaway).

Besides, I will settle for a good shuttle to John Wayne

Irvinecommuter said:
ukuoy said:

They did have one but it didn't get enough business to stay (Flyaway).

Besides, I will settle for a good shuttle to John Wayne
I use Uber for JWA. But it will be too expensive to LAX

ukuoy said:
There are shuttles you can pay for.  Friends should be taking that shuttle.  I'll taxi friends from SNA any time.  Rarely would I taxi a friend from LAX.  I wouldn't ask a friend to take me to LAX.  It's a bit inconsiderate, IMO.

That said...  I heard that there's a disneyland shuttle trick where you get a cheap or free shuttle to anaheim.  That would make the drive a lot easier.http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/disneylandshuttle.htm

Wasn't there a $20 shuttle to lax?  Could've sworn I saw some ads for it somewhere.

Wonder what uber cost would be. 

ukuoy said:

I've had family take a train to union station and then the flyaway bus to LAX

A real art museum
Florist
Boutique pet supply store
Kitchen and bath store
Religious bookstore
a real artist supply store
Inde film theatre
Lighting store
Chinese herb store
Sport venue
Concert venue