What are you craving for right now?

ps9 said:
SoCal78 said:
And what's the pink & white Hello Kitty food?

Orange balls are salmon roe?  The hello kitty swirly thing is Japanese fish cake.

Why does the hardboiled egg in the center look like it's eight years old?

I'm curious. At home, does everyone who posts pics in this thread only eat Asian food at home for dinner? I don't mean take out. I mean, is that what is normally cooked at your house?

irvinehomeowner said:
homer_simpson said:
I'll test it out. Smoke maple bacon in a
maple bar :)
Did you ever try it? I saw this at the Donut Star on Alton in Irvine and had to take a picture of it for you. They say they've been selling it for a while... you're laggin' Homer!

33ubq0z.jpg

Haven't tried it yet.. Busy with the Chinese food side :)

SoCal78 said:
ps9 said:
SoCal78 said:

Orange balls are salmon roe?  The hello kitty swirly thing is Japanese fish cake.

I'm curious. At home, does everyone who posts pics in this thread only eat Asian food at home for dinner? I don't mean take out. I mean, is that what is normally cooked at your house?

IHS impersonation:

The art of Asian cooking is lost with the Nintendo generation.  Why teach them how to cook when they can be pushed to piano/doctor/lawyer.  "kitchen dude" (literal chinese translation) does not have the same rep as a Thomas Keller in the Asian household. 

end IHS impersonation:

I don't cook period.  Doesn't matter if it's Asian or western.  The only thing I can cook well is a fluffy cheesy omelette.  I do get ambitious (or drunk) once in awhile and cook something ethnic in my homeland by googling some half ass recipe and fail/disappoint mightily.  Then it's off to Rowland heights or panda express for some redemption.

PS is definitely from the Atari/Nintendo generation. His parents did his laundry and made watercress soup for him. He has no cooking skills and he misses the home style cookings not available at Chinese restaurants. Because of his OCD he has to live in Irvine otherwise he would be a lot happier living in SGV where he does not have to rely on Panda Express for his quick fix. When he has his midnight cravings he could walk to the corner Savoys and order a bowl of thousand year old egg and geoduck porridge.

SoCal78 said:
IHO, did you buy that bacon doughnut and eat it? I wonder if they thought it was strange that this weird guy is snapping away, taking a pic of their doughnut especially if you didn't take it home with you.
No... I didn't get it or else I would have had a picture of it on a plate.

I think they know me there... I could probably walk behind the counter and help myself as long as I pay for it.

I only got a few donut holes for myself... it was night time after all.

Still craving Tommy's... as a side note, I read in the paper that the Hooters next to the Tommy's in Lake Forest has closed. I find it strange a Hooter's can't survive in Lake Forest.

I only eat my Tommy's standing up right outside the restrooms at the corner of Beverly and Rampart.  Every where else does not measured up because the other Tommys have no idea what a Sentinel special is.

SoCal78 said:
ps9 said:
SoCal78 said:

It's a stewed egg, hard boiled and then cooked in a soy/5 spice concoction to give the egg whites a brownish look.  Kinda like the tea eggs you see in Chinese snack shops

ps9 said:
Kinda like the tea eggs you see in Chinese snack shops

Interesting. I never heard of a tea egg let alone seen one. These photos are the first time SoCal has seen anything like what is depicted. I've never been to these kind of restaurants and obviously didn't eat it growing up. Everything shown is all completely foreign to me.

I hope geoduck porridge is a joke. (You never know. I thought Balut was a joke... until it wasn't.)

irvinehomeowner said:

But... but... doughnut shops aren't open at night.  :-\ OMG you have a special key to the front door, don't you! Wow. You ARE a loyal customer.

SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

But... but... doughnut shops aren't open at night.  :-\ OMG you have a special key to the front door, don't you! Wow. You ARE a loyal customer.
Donut Star on Jefferry and Alton is open 24/7.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Donut Star on Jefferry and Alton is open 24/7.
Many Donut Stars are.

I don't know how this one finagled TIC into letting them be 24 hour but it's one of the few businesses other than 7-11 that was. I believe some of the McDs have gone to 24 hours and then there is 24 Hour Fitness. I think some of the stores in Diamond Jamboree are 24 hour too.

Wow. Who knew they are open 24/7! I didn't realize anyone would want to buy or sell a doughnut past brunch.

OTOH, my very favorite bagel shop, East Coast Bagel off of Culver Dr. in Irvine closes early! Who knows why. You could sell a bagel sandwich all day long. I love this shop.

SoCal78 said:
Wow. Who knew they are open 24/7! I didn't realize anyone would want to buy or sell a doughnut past brunch.
My kid has a shirt that says something like "Brownies for breakfast, donuts for dinner".

They didn't have one in IHO XXXL size.

Back