Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

iacrenter said:
jmoney74 said:
ozzyirvine said:
It's good to see that Gang Chen has updated his website and finally added information about his support for the cemetery, but not at the location it is scheduled to be in. I don't find it odd that he doesn't include information about where he lives and why it is his #1 campaign issue. There are other signs that I won't point to now, but he is very good about pawning veterans for his own cause.

As I've said before, I will do what I can to make sure he loses.

All this to make more money on his property. He really is going for it. Whoever is out there that does not want him to win, needs to do their part.

Don't think you're going to have to try. His biggest supporters probably can't vote.

He certainly has balls. He shook my hand and was campaigning at Colonel Barber Park right after the Memorial Day ceremony. I'm sure the vets there would have kicked his ass if they knew who he was.

He's going for it. Everyone that wants to see him lose should do their part.

ozzyirvine said:
Does anyone know if Mayor Choi will run for his Mayor seat again because he lost the Assembly seat on June 7th?

Mayor Choi is movin' on up

Assemblyman Don Wagner enters race for Irvine mayor
As his final term representing the 68th District winds down, Wagner announces bid for mayor

Currently serving the 68th District, that includes Irvine, he said in a statement: ?Irvine is one of the most dynamic cities in the state. We have a diverse population with fantastic schools, a world-class university, and a bright future. My wife Megan and I have raised our family in this wonderful city and I look forward to helping lead it into the future.?

Wagner enters the race with a list of strong endorsements including Irvine Congresswoman Mimi Walters; Assemblyman Matthew Harper, also from Irvine; and Irvine Councilwoman Christina Shea, among others.

Wagner?s experience spans nearly two decades, beginning with his election to the South Orange County Community College District Board of Trustees in 1998 where he served three terms, six years as board president.

A practicing attorney, he is considered by many to be an expert on the state budget and taxation, having served on all three legislative fiscal committees. While in Sacramento, he served on the Assembly Education Committee with a focus on the K-12 system. He is also Assembly Chairman of the UC Caucus, which he founded to support the University of California system in the Legislature.

As he announced his candidacy, Wagner said: ?I intend to deliver on the promise made to Irvine residents in 2004 to complete the Great Park and its related community facilities. I intend to create a real partnership between City Hall and our schools and colleges to improve their abilities to provide a quality education to our children. And I intend to engage the whole community to guide the future growth of this city in a reasonable and balanced way, enhancing everyone?s quality of life.?

Wagner and his wife, Orange County Superior Court Judge-elect Megan Wagner have lived in Irvine for 25 years. Their three children attended Irvine public schools.

Wagner said in his announcement: ?I have long enjoyed serving this community and embrace the opportunity to continue serving. Having been active in both state and local government, I believe I have a thorough appreciation of how government works, and how to be effective on behalf of the people of Irvine. I truly look forward to an exciting campaign and to sharing my vision of this great city with its residents.?

Our Gang said:
ozzyirvine said:
Does anyone know if Mayor Choi will run for his Mayor seat again because he lost the Assembly seat on June 7th?

Mayor Choi is movin' on up

Assemblyman Don Wagner enters race for Irvine mayor
As his final term representing the 68th District winds down, Wagner announces bid for mayor

Currently serving the 68th District, that includes Irvine, he said in a statement: ?Irvine is one of the most dynamic cities in the state. We have a diverse population with fantastic schools, a world-class university, and a bright future. My wife Megan and I have raised our family in this wonderful city and I look forward to helping lead it into the future.?

Wagner enters the race with a list of strong endorsements including Irvine Congresswoman Mimi Walters; Assemblyman Matthew Harper, also from Irvine; and Irvine Councilwoman Christina Shea, among others.

Wagner?s experience spans nearly two decades, beginning with his election to the South Orange County Community College District Board of Trustees in 1998 where he served three terms, six years as board president.

A practicing attorney, he is considered by many to be an expert on the state budget and taxation, having served on all three legislative fiscal committees. While in Sacramento, he served on the Assembly Education Committee with a focus on the K-12 system. He is also Assembly Chairman of the UC Caucus, which he founded to support the University of California system in the Legislature.

As he announced his candidacy, Wagner said: ?I intend to deliver on the promise made to Irvine residents in 2004 to complete the Great Park and its related community facilities. I intend to create a real partnership between City Hall and our schools and colleges to improve their abilities to provide a quality education to our children. And I intend to engage the whole community to guide the future growth of this city in a reasonable and balanced way, enhancing everyone?s quality of life.?

Wagner and his wife, Orange County Superior Court Judge-elect Megan Wagner have lived in Irvine for 25 years. Their three children attended Irvine public schools.

Wagner said in his announcement: ?I have long enjoyed serving this community and embrace the opportunity to continue serving. Having been active in both state and local government, I believe I have a thorough appreciation of how government works, and how to be effective on behalf of the people of Irvine. I truly look forward to an exciting campaign and to sharing my vision of this great city with its residents.?

Wagner wants to downgrade from state assemblyman to city mayor?

I wonder if Fran is from TI.  Her comment makes sense:

"Take this decision and reverse your votes to the alternative site. Stop making this POLITICAL !!!
I believe the alternate site is far better, does NOTE need $77,000,000 worth of land preparation. It can be completed very quickly and the Veterans agree with this site AND THE RESIDENTS AND BUSINESSES OF IRVINE DO NOT HAVE TO PAY $77 MILLION DOLLARS .
STOP WITH YOUR EGO'S AND THINK ABOUT WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE RESIDENTS OF IRVINE!"

aquabliss said:

"Take this decision and reverse your votes to the alternative site. Stop making this POLITICAL !!!
I believe the alternate site is far better, does NOTE need $77,000,000 worth of land preparation. It can be completed very quickly and the Veterans agree with this site AND THE RESIDENTS AND BUSINESSES OF IRVINE DO NOT HAVE TO PAY $77 MILLION DOLLARS .
STOP WITH YOUR EGO'S AND THINK ABOUT WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE RESIDENTS OF IRVINE!"

They should speak for themselves.

Looks like the Mayoral race just got more crowded. Does anyone know Wagner's position on the Cemetery's location?

jmoney74 said:

Where are all those people who accused 5P of offering the swap to make big profits? Swap a perfectly clean, ready to develop land for one that need $30M for cleanup and demo. The city council should have taken the deal and laugh all the way to the bank. Now, who knows if 5P is still willing to offer the same deal.

But, then again, city council knew this long ago. It's no accident that the veterans are now stuck with nowhere to go.

eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:

Where are all those people who accused 5P of offering the swap to make big profits? Swap a perfectly clean, ready to develop land for one that need $30M for cleanup and demo. The city council should have taken the deal and laugh all the way to the bank. Now, who knows if 5P is still willing to offer the same deal.

But, then again, city council knew this long ago. It's no accident that the veterans are now stuck with nowhere to go.

Exactly. They knew what was up.

eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:

Yep. Those that passed on the swap, knew it would be the more expensive deal and thus longer term make it nearly impossible for any cemetery in Irvine (unless the state picks up the tab).  City better not pay a dime, I see no reason it should either. 

Bullsback said:
eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:

Yep. Those that passed on the swap, knew it would be the more expensive deal and thus longer term make it nearly impossible for any cemetery in Irvine (unless the state picks up the tab).  City better not pay a dime, I see no reason it should either.

City won't have the money for it.. State money would be irresponsible.  Would take a big donor at this point.  The counter point is.. you got other vet cemeteries that aren't nearly filled up in other areas around SoCal. 

jmoney74 said:
Bullsback said:
eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:

City won't have the money for it.. State money would be irresponsible.  Would take a big donor at this point.  The counter point is.. you got other vet cemeteries that aren't nearly filled up in other areas around SoCal.

Fed rule states clearly that they won't pay for a veteran cemetery if it's within 75 miles of an existing one. In this case we have 3 within that distance. It's not clear there would be any fund from the fed at all. It might have to entirely state, city and self funded.

Given our government's penchant for underestimating cost of projects it'll probably top $100M to get the project done. Then someone will have to pay for maintenance and up keep.

It was a bad idea from the start. The location is terrible for homeowners, students, and vets.

eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:

Not sure if anyone on this board accused 5 Points of doing that.. we all know it only helps their home selling.  I think the council doesn't want the cemetery either.. most of the residents don't want it. 

ozzyirvine said:
aquabliss said:

They should speak for themselves.

Looks like the Mayoral race just got more crowded. Does anyone know Wagner's position on the Cemetery's location?

Wagner spoke at the April 12 kabuki theater meeting in favor of the move to alternate site, said he'd intro the bill in Sacramento. After he left, Lalloway mocked him, said he could get nothing done.

eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:
Bullsback said:
eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:

Fed rule states clearly that they won't pay for a veteran cemetery if it's within 75 miles of an existing one. In this case we have 3 within that distance. It's not clear there would be any fund from the fed at all. It might have to entirely state, city and self funded.

Given our government's penchant for underestimating cost of projects it'll probably top $100M to get the project done. Then someone will have to pay for maintenance and up keep.

Which federal rule are you mis-quoting? Do your homework.

Our Gang said:
eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:
Bullsback said:
eatthis said:
jmoney74 said:

Which federal rule are you mis-quoting? Do your homework.

Please do.  It's actually the second time someone has told me that.  Would like to know where it's actually coming from.. if it is indeed in the rules.

I pulled this one up.  Not sure if it says you can't do it within 75 miles.. but it does say they want to service every 75 miles.

VA seeks to provide the service of a Veterans cemetery within 75 miles of 90 percent of the Veterans across the country. Data shows that a 75-mile radius defines the effective ?service area? of a Veterans cemetery.

Back