United Airlines Violently Drags Doctor Off Flight Volunteer Not to Give Up Seat

Just look at the affordable housing thread and what people think of those who make less money.

momopi said:
Just look at the affordable housing thread and what people think of those who make less money.

I came from a lower middle class background myself. While it is certainly true that there are plenty of people who don't earn a lot of money who are very good decent people, and there are also wealthy jerks and criminals, one can not dispute the fact that housing projects in many many places have turned into hellholes. City after city. The thugs terrorize the law abiding citizens in the projects. Do you have personal experience with this? I do; I know what I'm talking about.

Movingup said:
One thing that kind of bother me is the media keep saying the doctor was dragged out of the plane. Why is occupation an issue here? Does it make it more unjust to drag someone with a higher socioeconomic status?

I'm surprised they are not saying, "Asian, 69 year old senior citizen, father of 5, doctor" blah blah..

Movingup said:
One thing that kind of bother me is the media keep saying the doctor was dragged out of the plane. Why is occupation an issue here? Does it make it more unjust to drag someone with a higher socioeconomic status?

Occupation is an issue because the media needs ratings/clicks.  Nobody will click if the person were a burger flipper or something. 

paydawg said:
Movingup said:

Occupation is an issue because the media needs ratings/clicks.  Nobody will click if the person were a burger flipper or something.

Journalism is dead. There is always an agenda.I am condemning the use of force to remove passengers from the plane. But I don't know whether he was unruly prior to the incident. One way or the other, bad PR and United will have to pay big time.

But keep in mind, this "doctor" is not a role model and he was a criminal.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
GH said:
And this one does not even hit headlines in major news outlet (not on CNN or MSNBC -- or could be hidden somewhere -- It was in Huffpost but not really headline) -- If this was of a different race, it would have  been all over the news (and I think the UA staff knows it that is why they would never "randomly" pick someone from those race).

It took a while but it's all over everywhere now... even on ESPN radio (I don't think this is sports news).

Is he really a doctor? That's what I want to know. And reports said his wife was also one of the 4 but I don't see any reference to her. Seems more to the story here.

Seems like someone is going to get a gazillion bonus miles.

How does it change the story if he is a doctor or not? The fact is he was dragged out of the plane.

It does not change the fact he was dragged out.

However, we don't have any video of what transpired when they first asked him to leave and why they had to call security.

I ask about his claim of being a doctor and needing to see patients the next day as to discover more about his character.

As morekaos has said, we are only getting one side of this story and while that side is reprehensible, I still like to know all the facts.

Movingup said:
Journalism is dead. There is always an agenda.I am condemning the use of force to remove passengers from the plane. But I don't know whether he was unruly prior to the incident. One way or the other, bad PR and United will have to pay big time.

Oh, I get it,  Since this "doctor" is not a role model and criminal he deserves that treatment?  Same way "blacks that give attitude to cops deserves to beaten and die? same way a provocative female dressee deserves to be raped?

You can't blame the victim here whether he was belligerent or not, whether he is a criminal or not, whether you think his reason for not wanting to give up his seat is valid or not.

Irvine Dream said:
Movingup said:

Oh, I get it,  Since this "doctor" is not a role model and criminal he deserves that treatment?  Same way "blacks that give attitude to cops deserves to beaten and die? same way a provocative female dressee deserves to be raped?

You can't blame the victim here whether he was belligerent or not, whether he is a criminal or not, whether you think his reason for not wanting to give up his seat is valid or not.

I think you cannot comprehend what I said.

Movingup said:
Irvine Dream said:
Movingup said:

The witness interview just said he couldn't leave because
He has to see patients the next day. UA said they would call security and he said fine. Didn't mention him being obnoxious.

jmoney74 said:
Movingup said:
Irvine Dream said:
Movingup said:

The witness interview just said he couldn't leave because
He has to see patients the next day. UA said they would call security and he said fine. Didn't mention him being obnoxious.

Seeing patients the next day is not an emergency. But it is irrelevant. He paid for the ticket and he should not be forced to leave once he is on the plane. Even though I heard he was off the plane initially and sneaked back in.

The point is him being a doctor is irrelevant on this saga. But the reports seem like it's a big deal that he is.

nyc to oc said:
momopi said:

I came from a lower middle class background myself. While it is certainly true that there are plenty of people who don't earn a lot of money who are very good decent people, and there are also wealthy jerks and criminals, one can not dispute the fact that housing projects in many many places have turned into hellholes. City after city. The thugs terrorize the law abiding citizens in the projects. Do you have personal experience with this? I do; I know what I'm talking about.

Never lived in the "projects" but did live out of a motel for months in Artesia (now rebuilt Days Inn on Pioneer) back when the Stater Brothers was Alpha Beta in 1980s, just before Diho Supermarket opened by Pioneer and 183rd.  Then moved to cheap apartment by Lakewood/Hawaiian Gardens border for few years.

The city of Hawaiian Gardens is only about 1 square mile and their kids went to my HS (Artesia HS).  The local Latino Gang ("HG") mostly left others alone unless if you're black, they competed against black gangs and fights weren't pretty.  The cops were jerks to everyone who was poor or lived in poorer areas.  Working on your car in the parking lot?  Cops would pull up and make you put your hands on the hood while insisting that you must have a weapon or drugs somewhere.

By living in cheap apartments we were able to save enough in 4-5 years to put 20% down on our first town home in Burns Park.

This is one reason why I donate to Anaheim White House Caterina's Club (http://caterinasclub.org/) and support qualify affordable housing for people who are actually employed in the city.  Bruno's restaurant went up in flames recently and he didn't stop feeding the motel kids despite the difficulty.

If you're good enough to teach my kids at school or bag my groceries, I think you're good enough to qualify for  affordable housing in my city.

The media keeps glossing over saying "Police"  the reality is the guy doing the dragging and seeming assault appears to have been just a private security guard working for the City Aviation Department.  Here's the job req:  https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/100/jobdetail.ftl?job=99860&lang=en

So begs the question are the two guys in Police jackets really police or not.  Begs the question why they're intervening in a private contract dispute.

Kind of explains why they didn't just "arrest" him, because they probably couldn't.
http://theweek.com/speedreads/69156...ter-united-airlines-passengerremoval-incident

People are mad at United, people should really be made at the whole a corporation called "the police" and the "the police" answer was to basically beat the guy.

irvinehomeowner said:
jmoney74 said:

So his wife wasn't there? Was that misreported?

I want to see when he was first told to leave.

That scream was crazy. :)

I saw her leaving when he was dragged out.  Not sure where she was before.

Also, there have been witness testimonies already.  Everyone just remained silent when asked to give up their seats.  Then he was asked.. got on the phone with them and said he can't because he has to be back (finding out that the next flight won't be until Monday). 

jmoney74 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So his wife wasn't there? Was that misreported?
I saw her leaving when he was dragged out.  Not sure where she was before.
That might have just been an asian lady and everyone assumed she was his wife.  She might have been selected passenger #4, and she promptly got off after she saw what happened to him.

Back