The recession is coming

Oh79Aic.jpg

(Disclaimer:  I am not a certified financial adviser and this post should not be considered endorsement to buy gold/silver as investment.  I am only suggesting that they make pretty gifts for Xmas and New Year's)

If anyone is interested in buying gold but is limited on funds, I can suggest vintage coins like the Swiss 20 Franc, Dutch Ducat, and British Sovereigns that can be acquired from local dealers at small premium over melt value.  Shop around and look for coins in good conditions for collectible value.  The Dutch Ducat contains .1106 oz gold and I paid as low as $125/ea from local dealers.  Vintage coins are fun to collect and easy on the wallet.

If you can afford to buy 1 oz coins, consider fun alternatives like the Swiss PAMP Lunar series 1 oz gold bars (example:  http://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-pamp-suisse-lunar-goat-gold-bar/).  These come sealed in package with certified assay signature on back.  You'll pay a slightly higher premium for these, but it's much more interesting than gold eagles or maples, and look so much better than APMEX Lunar series rounds.

PAMP also makes silver Lunar series 1 oz bars, but they're priced at twice of melt value, so it's not as good of a deal but still make a very pretty new year's gift for kids.  (example: http://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-pamp-suisse-lunar-monkey-silver-bar/).

Australian lunar series coins sell for ridiculous prices, so I stay away from them.  If you're on a budget, there are many 1 oz silver bars with interesting designs that sell at close to melt value.  The silver rounds tend to be kinda boring.  Last year, I bought the "stagecoach" 1 oz silver bars as Xmas gifts for the kids and they loved it.  (See:  http://bullion.nwtmint.com/landing/buy-stagecoach-silver-rounds-and-bars/).  For about $350 you can mail order 20 of these today and give them at kid's birthdays throughout the year.

morekaos said:
I don't know about $1400 but I figured it bottomed and went to buy on the 1st of this year for the first time in about 3-4 years.

It bottommed in december 2015 at $1050 something

zubs said:
It looks like HSBC will stop lending to Chinese nationals trying to invest in US properties.  Another avenue to get money out of China has now been closed.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...tions-chinese-nationals-buying-us-real-estate

I expect property values in Arcadia/San Jose/Vancouver/Irvine will suffer.

Always remember a golden rule with chinese, when 1 loop hole closes, they open 100 more before government jumps on it and by the time their deals are done for good !

dream16 said:
morekaos said:
I don't know about $1400 but I figured it bottomed and went to buy on the 1st of this year for the first time in about 3-4 years.

It bottommed in december 2015 at $1050 something

Nobody's perfect...but this is a case of horseshoes, hand grenade's and slow dancing...close is good enough!!

Gold prices dipped in March, August, and Dec 2015.  Unless if you have a crystal ball, we don't really know if Dec 2015 was the bottom point in this cycle.

Realistically, if I see vintage Dutch or Austria gold ducats at local dealer in AU or BU condition, it doesn't matter if the price is gold is $1000 or $1200/oz, I'd still be interested in the coin.

Precious metals are long-term insurance against fiat currency risks.  Collectors of vintage gold coins also know that, unlike stamp collection, gold coins will always retain its melt value.  I don't buy gold in hope of "buy low sell high" --  I'd put investment money in real estate that generates monthly cash flow instead.  Gold doesn't pay a monthly rent.

I like to gift gold/silver to children because, if you give them $20 they'd look at you like, can't even buy a new video game for this money.  If you gift children with a hobby of collecting gold/silver coins, it may or may not be more financially rewarding than a savings account, mutual fund, or DRIP stock purchase.  But at least the money is not being spent on the latest iPod.

For the parents of new borns, they'd probably prefer cash for diapers.

I went to Vancouver Sept 2014.  It was full of Chinese (folks, cars, condos, businesses).  Big difference between Vancouver and Irvine was the small business signs in Chinese characters.  I thought I was in Hong Kong or something while I was taking the train to go to Vancouver down town.  It's becoming like Monterey Park or San Gabriel...

I hope this doesn't happen in Irvine or Tustin...  Good for Chinese but not so good for the rest of us.  To me assimilation to main US society is better than taking over by one particular group in monopoly style...

irvineorbust said:
I went to Vancouver Sept 2014.  It was full of Chinese (folks, cars, condos, businesses).  Big difference between Vancouver and Irvine was the small business signs in Chinese characters.  I thought I was in Hong Kong or something while I was taking the train to go to Vancouver down town.  It's becoming like Monterey Park or San Gabriel...

I hope this doesn't happen in Irvine or Tustin...  Good for Chinese but not so good for the rest of us.  To me assimilation to main US society is better than taking over by one particular group in monopoly style...

I don't see it in Tustin, but for sure in Irvine. Maybe not so obvious, but it's happening. They've got Diamond Jamboree - just the name itself screams Chinese. I know there are Korean, Viet, and Japanese stuff there but still feels more Chinese. Then there is the Culver Plaza with the 99 ranch. Pretty Chinese centric. Then the Orange Tree shopping center off Walnut and Jeffrey. Heck, we even have dim sum at the Irvine Spectrum. All my non-Asian friends whisper, "Chinatown", under their breath. A few of my Caucasian friends have moved out of Irvine because they felt like the odd ball in town. I like Irvine, but if the trend continues, I diversity will be lacking.

Everything comes with a price.
High property values ain't free.

I haven't seen any Chinese signage in Irvine, has it started yet?

zubs said:

the office park at Jeffrey/Trabuco which is full of after school academies, etc etc, has some chinese language signs. I don't recall if its Chinese only or Chinese/English blend on the signs.

If I wanted to live in the San Gabriel Valley, I would have moved there. Why does it have to be so hard to find an ethnically balanced suburb that doesn't eventually balkanize into little clumps?

nyc to oc said:
zubs said:

the office park at Jeffrey/Trabuco which is full of after school academies, etc etc, has some chinese language signs. I don't recall if its Chinese only or Chinese/English blend on the signs.

If I wanted to live in the San Gabriel Valley, I would have moved there. Why does it have to be so hard to find an ethnically balanced suburb that doesn't eventually balkanize into little clumps?

Dumps or Clumps?

The asians in Irvine are whiter than the asians in Rowland Heights or mon-tree park....so there's that.

I was drinking with my Mexican neighbor the other day and he mentioned that the white-Mexicans don't really hang with the mexican mexicans....I'm guessing this is the same for the white chinese vs. chinese chinese.

But it does look like in another 10 years, Irvine may be more chinese chinese than the current status.  Atleast your high property values will make it easy to sell and gtfo.

zubs said:
The asians in Irvine are whiter than the asians in Rowland Heights or mon-tree park....so there's that.

I was drinking with my Mexican neighbor the other day and he mentioned that the white-Mexicans don't really hang with the mexican mexicans....I'm guessing this is the same for the white chinese vs. chinese chinese.

But it does look like in another 10 years, Irvine may be more chinese chinese than the current status.  Atleast your high property values will make it easy to sell and gtfo.

interesting.. I guess I can't tell the difference.. YET.  White-Mexicans.. They are rare.. I'm thinking they are like Qwerty.. which is rare and whom I've never met in person.  white-chinese?  I dunno..  they seem to drive better cars but still act the same. 

"White" mexicans aren't that rare.  They typically have "white" first names rather than traditional Spanish names; for instance, all the news reporters on TV.

Also, most Cubans are pretty "white" except the Olympians in track & field, boxing and women's volleyball (e.g. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio).

zubs said:

Speaking of Chinese signage, have anyone visit South Coast Plaza lately?  There are sign in Chinese characters post at store window all over the place.

Especially this weekend due the the Chinese lunar new year, they are turning SCP into a Chinatown. :)http://www.southcoastplaza.com/events/lunar-new-year-events/

lnc said:
zubs said:

Speaking of Chinese signage, have anyone visit South Coast Plaza lately?  There are sign in Chinese characters post at store window all over the place.

Especially this weekend due the the Chinese lunar new year, they are turning SCP into a Chinatown. :)http://www.southcoastplaza.com/events/lunar-new-year-events/

It's been Chinatown for quite some time, all by design:http://www.ocweekly.com/news/south-...se-these-days-and-its-not-by-accident-6781849

Back