The recession is coming

AW said:
^ditto
Single pane used to be the norm many years ago, and double panes are used for noisier places, now it's the norm, at least from what I've seen.

You mean double pane is the new norm?

aquabliss said:
I heard a commercial on the radio for triple pane Windows.

Don't settle for 2 panes!

I dont get much of a say as the builder will not offer free upgrades, take it or leave it == thats what you hear on the face

We live in a StanPac Woodbury house and did a bunch of remodeling.  When we had the walls open, we found fast food wrappers, some newspaper, and random junk.  It wasn't much but even a $1M+ house has subs and quality control really depends on the site supervisor.  Honestly I didn't care about the trash as much as I was bugged at how many structural posts weren't properly connected.  Like one load bearing post had no nails at the top.  The weight was on it but someone forgot to tie it to the beam that it was holding up. 

For those buying brand new, do every possible inspection you can and take an inspector who is also a contractor so they can spot build issues. 

Btw, this goes for old houses as well.  I have remodelled a few 1950's houses and the thought that they were built better or solid as a rock is BS.  There will always be quality and always be crap and even within quality, mistakes happen. 

rkp said:
We live in a StanPac Woodbury house and did a bunch of remodeling.  When we had the walls open, we found fast food wrappers, some newspaper, and random junk.  It wasn't much but even a $1M+ house has subs and quality control really depends on the site supervisor.  Honestly I didn't care about the trash as much as I was bugged at how many structural posts weren't properly connected.  Like one load bearing post had no nails at the top.  The weight was on it but someone forgot to tie it to the beam that it was holding up. 

For those buying brand new, do every possible inspection you can and take an inspector who is also a contractor so they can spot build issues. 

Btw, this goes for old houses as well.  I have remodelled a few 1950's houses and the thought that they were built better or solid as a rock is BS.  There will always be quality and always be crap and even within quality, mistakes happen.

Thanks RKP, the guy i hired for my inspection didn't do much as i was on-site the whole time, and just wandered around the condo with his little torch, spotted a broken bulb, asked to replace AC filter, couldn't get into attic complaining its too narrow to enter and made a cool $325 in 2 hours of his ordeal where 30% of the time was spent taking pics of outside home (for his app that spits out a useless report) and 10% on infra-red, and remaining 60% bs'ing with me about how awesome his work is and how much crazy $ he makes...

We have triple pane windows in our house.  Very good noise reduction.  The rental I'm rehabbing  will be getting dual pane vinyl windows, which will be a decent improvement over the aluminum frame windows that were probably installed in the '80s.

aquabliss said:

Lol, try telling that to kbhomes who thankfully offer atleast the windows with the bare minimum single panes

dream16 said:
aquabliss said:

Lol, try telling that to kbhomes who thankfully offer atleast the windows with the bare minimum single panes

How about builders not placing their homes so close to major roads or each other? Then no need for all the extra sound insulation.

I don't know about $1400 but I figured it bottomed and went to buy on the 1st of this year for the first time in about 3-4 years.

MK,
Same here, I also took a very large position in Gold first week of January since not not touching precious metals for 5 years. A few closed ended funds are selling at a 10% discount NAV.

I don't think the FEDs are going to raise rates this year and if they do.. it will be minimal. I know this contrary to how many believe as the FEDs raised rates for the first time in 9 years last December. What do i think will happen is that the FED will reverse its course and have another round of QE (QE3) by second half of the year. I also like financial mortgage back securities, not brick and mortar. Mortgages have nothing to do with commodity prices and will not be impacted with emerging market and commodities crashing. 

The environment is much safer today in real estate than it was 2008 when both real estate and the stock market crashed together. Long term, I am very bullish on blue chip indian stocks like ICIC Bank, Infosys, Reliance, and Indian financial sector.

NewtoIrvine1 said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...his-california-home-has-everything-but-buyers

It's just a matter of time before it trickles into the Million dollar irvine homes... there are only so many buyers especially when you count on FCB to buy new property...

I think it already hit Irvine.  The sales of $1.5 million dollar plus new home in OH and BP are stagnant for a while now and some higher end BP home struggle to move pass phase one.  Also many $1.5 million plus existing home linger on the MLS over 100 days.

The Irvine's housing inventory sill relative low and there's still strong demands for sub one million dollar homes.  The coming housing down turn will definitely hit higher price home harder. 

The amount of Chinese FCBs are dwindling for a few reasons that keep getting worse in regards to China: strict government regulations regarding outflows and foreign exchange, crack down on money laundering and any large amounts of outflows, significant slowdown in the economy and general real estate market (much worse than what western media is representing), strict regulation of people traveling out of the country, especially government officials. There's so much more that I'm seeing around me and too much to list but those are the big ones.

Back