The end is nigh-- again?

qwerty said:
i dont know about FB, i doubt they will be around in 50 years.
It "looks" like they are making acquisitions here and there like Instagram. Investing in Social media companies are not my thing.

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
i dont know about FB, i doubt they will be around in 50 years.
It "looks" like they are making acquisitions here in there like Instagram. Investing in Social media companies are not my thing.

Not really my thing either, but it seems fully integrated in how companies market today.
I only wish I had bought more.

irvinehomeowner said:
In 50 years, when EV is ARMtime, won't XOM be dead too?

Plug-in is the way to go, not pure EV. A lot of car makers have or will soon release plug-in vehicles.

I envision cars with solar panel roofs that are efficient enough to drive the powertrain without having to plug in.

#thatsthepipedream

irvinehomeowner said:
I envision cars with solar panel roofs that are efficient enough to drive the powertrain without having to plug in.

#thatsthepipedream

I envision levating, self-driving cars engineered by GOOG and enabled with FB.
But in 50 years, the 99% here and elsewhere in the world will probably still be driving gas guzzlers. 
XOM will be fine. 

If not, I wont be around to eat my words.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Plug-in is the way to go, not pure EV. A lot of car makers have or will soon release plug-in vehicles.
A lot of companies have started pouring more money into their hydrogen fuel cell technology then electric (from an R&D perspective). Hyundai has their Fuel Cell vehicle coming out sometime soon (2015 Tuscon).  I think ultimately the goal, until you figure out a way to get entirely green, is to be as diverse as possible from an energy spectrum. Have a wide variety of options so that your overall energy costs as a country are never overly dependent on one area.  A lot of progress has been made in this arena (in addition to the fact that we have found new ways to tap into various fuel sources...see fracking) is why manufacturing has been returning to the US (as we have a huge energy cost advantage that outweighs a higher cost of labor). 

Bullsback said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

A lot of companies have started pouring more money into their hydrogen fuel cell technology then electric (from an R&D perspective). Hyundai has their Fuel Cell vehicle coming out sometime soon (2015 Tuscon).  I think ultimately the goal, until you figure out a way to get entirely green, is to be as diverse as possible from an energy spectrum. Have a wide variety of options so that your overall energy costs as a country are never overly dependent on one area.  A lot of progress has been made in this arena (in addition to the fact that we have found new ways to tap into various fuel sources...see fracking) is why manufacturing has been returning to the US (as we have a huge energy cost advantage that outweighs a higher cost of labor).

Estimate to fill up hydrogen fuel cell car is $50 for 300 miles. (Rip off)

eyephone said:
Bullsback said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Estimate to fill up hydrogen fuel cell car is $50 for 300 miles. (Rip off)
The cost isn't much better either. I think the vehicles I had saw were going to be pretty expensive. Not sure what the Tuscon is but supposedly Honda has a vehicle coming out and it was in a Tesla price range. At that point, I don't know why you wouldn't go with that (in current conditions). Being an early adopter on this stuff tends to be expensive. Buy an EV1 early and you probably paid through your butt for something that stopped being utilized pretty early. This will likely be the same. Where does it get to, who knows. Still a lot of R&D to go.

Hybrids and Plug-Ins seem to be the best existing combination given you get good mileage, with what is now pretty fair prices that you can actually see economic benefits (depending on how much you drive) within 3-6 year time frames.  However, they didn't start out that way.  In fact, there was a period where if you really wanted one, you could get a Leaf for dirt cheap (with all of the various tax incentives that were on those bad boys along with a negative money factor on the lease). 

irvinehomeowner said:
On the Hyundai H cell... the lease includes fuel too right?

If your not the lucky 50, you have to spend $50 every time you fill it up vs regular prius hybrid around $25.

OpenToTheSky said:
Bullsback said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

A lot of companies have started pouring more money into their hydrogen fuel cell technology then electric (from an R&D perspective). Hyundai has their Fuel Cell vehicle coming out sometime soon (2015 Tuscon).

I've been on the waiting list for the Hyundai fuel cell car for months. The car actually started shipping this past June: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tus...yundai-tucson-fuel-cell-vehicle-delivery.html

There are two dealers in Southern California that are leasing them (lease only). Hyundai is producing a total of 50 (fifty) cars for the 2015 model year. If EVs aren't ready for primetime, fuel cell isn't even in dress rehearsal.

As a second car, hard to beat a pure EV. And hard to justify not getting one, unless you have a job with a lengthy (35+ mile) or unpredictable commute.

If a plug-in is your bag, my counsel is to get one soon. The state recently added more green stickers but there are only ~3,000 left even after adding to the allocation:http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

Per budget trailer bill, SB 853 (Statutes 2014, chapter 27), the green decal limit has been increased by 15,000 to a total of 55,000 stickers.

As of August 25, 2014, 52,034 "green" stickers have been issued. Green stickers are valid through January 1, 2019.
With my work having charging stations, I'm looking at the Ford Fusion Plug-In and the Prius Plug-In. Like the fact that the Fusion goes ~20 miles on EV mode, which is perfect for my commute, which is all city, roughly 10-12 or so miles each way.  Then on weekend driving we tend to drive and wouldn't get as much benefit of the plug-in, however, with the tax incentives, the price of a Fusion Plug-In vs. the Hybrid essentially becomes a wash, so at that point, why not just go for the plug-in. 

Bullsback said:
OpenToTheSky said:
Bullsback said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

A lot of companies have started pouring more money into their hydrogen fuel cell technology then electric (from an R&D perspective). Hyundai has their Fuel Cell vehicle coming out sometime soon (2015 Tuscon).

I've been on the waiting list for the Hyundai fuel cell car for months. The car actually started shipping this past June: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tus...yundai-tucson-fuel-cell-vehicle-delivery.html

There are two dealers in Southern California that are leasing them (lease only). Hyundai is producing a total of 50 (fifty) cars for the 2015 model year. If EVs aren't ready for primetime, fuel cell isn't even in dress rehearsal.

As a second car, hard to beat a pure EV. And hard to justify not getting one, unless you have a job with a lengthy (35+ mile) or unpredictable commute.

If a plug-in is your bag, my counsel is to get one soon. The state recently added more green stickers but there are only ~3,000 left even after adding to the allocation:http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

Per budget trailer bill, SB 853 (Statutes 2014, chapter 27), the green decal limit has been increased by 15,000 to a total of 55,000 stickers.

As of August 25, 2014, 52,034 "green" stickers have been issued. Green stickers are valid through January 1, 2019.
With my work having charging stations, I'm looking at the Ford Fusion Plug-In and the Prius Plug-In. Like the fact that the Fusion goes ~20 miles on EV mode, which is perfect for my commute, which is all city, roughly 10-12 or so miles each way.  Then on weekend driving we tend to drive and wouldn't get as much benefit of the plug-in, however, with the tax incentives, the price of a Fusion Plug-In vs. the Hybrid essentially becomes a wash, so at that point, why not just go for the plug-in.

@Bullsback - I created a different thread to talk about EV/Plug-in/Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,12152.0.html

zubs said:
After all that's said and done, the only strategy I'm employing now is to buy and hold.
I had bought stock in MAR of 2009 when the S&P hit 666, and sold at the end of 2009.  That was a mistake.

So now I just use Warren Buffets strategy, which is to buy a good company and hold it til I'm 70...I should be a billionaire by then.

By good company I mean one that will still be around in 50 years.

agreed!
I think dollar cost averaging and the buy and hold policy trumps trying to time the market any day - although watching cnbc daily is quite entertaining lol

Back