Tesla Model 3

morekaos said:
From all places the LA Times.  Read this article in its entirety...the emperor has less clothes.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies

This line sticks out to me in the article.  WOW.

"The Palo Alto company has also collected more than $517 million from competing automakers by selling environmental credits."

SubSolar said:
It's a pretty gray science.  You also have to consider all the externalities.

Anyhow.  Programs like Cash for Clunkers were very unfriendly to the environment.  The problem, there's a lot of environmental issues with production and destruction.  If you plan to get rid of a car anyways, then that's one thing. 

If you are making the change to be environmentally friendly, then it's really best to wait until you need to make a change.  Keeping your old car is likely more environmentally friendly than replacing it. 

I am just a simple caveman but I'm not sure how giving Elon Musk $1000 of my hard earned dollars for a vague promise on a piece of paper may be the best use of my money....just sayin

Tesla?s Model 3 Could Destroy Elon Musk?s Company

It won?t hit the road for two years, it won?t be as cheap as promised, and it will be plagued with problems. Worst of all, the firm may run out of money before the car takes the road.

But investors aren?t the only ones setting themselves up for disappointment: The biggest letdown ahead awaits the longtime Tesla fans who hope that they may finally be able to stretch the family budget just enough to buy the affordable Tesla they have been waiting for since 2006. In order to bring the cost of a Model 3 below the $35,000 mark, buyers will need to qualify for a $7,500 federal tax credit?but that credit begins to expire after Tesla sells 200,000 qualifying vehicles. At current sales projections, Tesla will run out of those tax credits sometime in 2018?just as Model 3s start rolling off production lines. In order to be one of the lucky few to qualify for those few remaining credits, the Tesla fans most in need of the financial assistance are camping out in front of stores to claim their shot at getting a truly affordable Tesla before the credits expire.

Unfortunately for these fans who most represent Tesla?s mission to make electric cars affordable to more than the super-wealthy, the remaining Tesla tax credits are likely to be all gone by the time their Model 3 gets built.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/31/tesla-s-model-3-could-destroy-elon-musk-s-company.html

Attachments

• caveman.JPG
    caveman.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 244
"A week ago, we started taking reservations for Model 3, and the excitement has been incredible. We?ve now received more than 325,000 reservations, which corresponds to about $14 billion in implied future sales, making this the single biggest one-week launch of any product ever."

Tesla haters be like "..."

SubSolar said:
"A week ago, we started taking reservations for Model 3, and the excitement has been incredible. We?ve now received more than 325,000 reservations, which corresponds to about $14 billion in implied future sales, making this the single biggest one-week launch of any product ever."

crazy

I'm still mulling my reservation over.. want to test drive it.  The look isn't high on my list.

morekaos said:
I am just a simple caveman but I'm not sure how giving Elon Musk $1000 of my hard earned dollars for a vague promise on a piece of paper may be the best use of my money....just sayin

Tesla?s Model 3 Could Destroy Elon Musk?s Company

It won?t hit the road for two years, it won?t be as cheap as promised, and it will be plagued with problems. Worst of all, the firm may run out of money before the car takes the road.

But investors aren?t the only ones setting themselves up for disappointment: The biggest letdown ahead awaits the longtime Tesla fans who hope that they may finally be able to stretch the family budget just enough to buy the affordable Tesla they have been waiting for since 2006. In order to bring the cost of a Model 3 below the $35,000 mark, buyers will need to qualify for a $7,500 federal tax credit?but that credit begins to expire after Tesla sells 200,000 qualifying vehicles. At current sales projections, Tesla will run out of those tax credits sometime in 2018?just as Model 3s start rolling off production lines. In order to be one of the lucky few to qualify for those few remaining credits, the Tesla fans most in need of the financial assistance are camping out in front of stores to claim their shot at getting a truly affordable Tesla before the credits expire.

Unfortunately for these fans who most represent Tesla?s mission to make electric cars affordable to more than the super-wealthy, the remaining Tesla tax credits are likely to be all gone by the time their Model 3 gets built.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/31/tesla-s-model-3-could-destroy-elon-musk-s-company.html

Yup. Like I said in my previous post. I believe the fed tax credit is a game changer. But if you are a 1%, then it won't matter.

jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:

crazy

I'm still mulling my reservation over.. want to test drive it.  The look isn't high on my list.

If you don't like it I wouldn't cancel reservation, can probably sell it for a profit for the people that don't want to wait until 2020 for there's.

The 3 is still a value play (even w/o tax credit) since the 1%ers drive the S or X.

So if it's first 200k by manufacturer, how many leafs are sold, and how about Chevy, do the volt contribute to the count?

AW said:
So if it's first 200k by manufacturer, how many leafs are sold, and how about Chevy, do the volt contribute to the count?
By this chart, the Leaf has sold about 83k in the US since 2012:
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

There are other sites that say worldwide, the Leaf has sold over 200k.

It's interesting to note that the Tesla Model S started off slow but since 2015 has been the top selling EV despite costing so much more than the other EVs.

SubSolar said:
jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:

crazy

If you don't like it I wouldn't cancel reservation, can probably sell it for a profit for the people that don't want to wait until 2020 for there's.

Well, I remember when there was another craze that initially went for a premium, over-ordered and then collapsed.

Attachments

• miata.jpg
    miata.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 232
morekaos said:
SubSolar said:
jmoney74 said:
SubSolar said:

crazy

Well, I remember when there was another craze that initially went for a premium, over-ordered and then collapsed.

How is Mazda doing these days? I just remembered their zoom zoom commercials back in the day.

Nowadays you got to be concerned about the airbag in the car. I think some person just died because of pieces of metal from the airbag went into the drivers throat. (I forgot what car company)

The California Court Company said:
here you go. look aside, wondering about its crash ratings...
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/6/11380818/toyota-setsuna-wood-concept-car-family-heirloom

AW said:
So the only thing left that is environmentally safe really is a flintstones mobile.  Wood logs and stone wheels powered by human is the way to go.

http://autoweek.com/article/recalls...airbags-honda-urges-owners-participate-recall

eyephone said:
Nowadays you got to be concerned about the airbag in the car. I think some person just died because of pieces of metal from the airbag went into the drivers throat. (I forgot what car company)

The California Court Company said:
here you go. look aside, wondering about its crash ratings...
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/6/11380818/toyota-setsuna-wood-concept-car-family-heirloom

AW said:
So the only thing left that is environmentally safe really is a flintstones mobile.  Wood logs and stone wheels powered by human is the way to go.

Exit visas are iminent

Tesla's VP of production, VP of manufacturing to leave company

Two key Tesla executives are leaving the company, despite the looming launch of its new mass-market car and SUV.

Greg Reichow, the electric carmaker's vice president of production who was expected to lead the manufacturing of the Model 3 vehicle, will take a leave of absence after his successor is found, Tesla told CNBC.

"Greg and the team deserve a lot of credit for building an all-new manufacturing organization from the ground up and for making Model S and Model X a reality," CEO Elon Musk said in a statement. "We're confident that with the strength of the team, high-quality manufacturing at Tesla will continue."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/04/teslas-vp-of-production-vp-of-manufacturing-to-leave-company-report.html

I've seen a few of the Model Xs hitting the road and they look pretty ugly. I know it has a lot of cool technology and accelerates faster than a Porsche but it looks heavy/odd in person. I still haven't seen the "take your breath away" Falcon doors in action. Maybe that would change my perception.

Back