Tesla Model 3

It's first come first serve. So the people that waited in line will get there's before the people that reserver online later.

They ain't delivering all 200,000 cars on day one.

aquabliss said:
I wasn't impressed by the model 3 exterior or interior at all.  Especially the inside.  Looks like Ikea plastic furniture with an iPad glued to the middle console.  How innovative.  Given the stunning interior of the Model S, I would have expected more from them, even for an entry level sedan.

Elon just shed a tear. 

How exciting though right?  This really does shake up the industry.. going to force other manufacturers to follow suit and release more electric cars. 

Eventually though, CA is going to move to a mileage tax. 

morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Like how how the entire real estate and loan industries use tax deductions as an incentive to buy real estate?

There is a certain 'greater good argument" for real estate...this largesse benefits just one guy.

It's not just for one guy.  The rebates are for everyone...Musk is just very good at creating business to receive most benefit.  It's not like the tax credits are just for Tesla cars.

Also, there is a "greater good" argument for moving away from traditional car/fossil fuel.  That's what government subsidies are supposed to do, guide the economy and market to what it believes to be the "greater good".

I mean, fossil fuel companies get a ton of government subsidies as well. 

I do hope they install more of those free charging stations because the wait for these free charging stations is going to be worst than pumping gas at Costco.

AW said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I don't understand the lines, can't you just reserve online?
You can now, but I don't think you could've yesterday?
Basically there'll be 130k or so people ahead now.

Main point is the the $7500 Fed Tax Credit and $2500 CA Tax credit.  There is probably no chance you will get it if you reserved online and it's even not guaranteed if you reserved in person.

Elon also tweeted that everyone who reserved in person will get a "small token of appreciation".  Hopefully it's more than a Tesla t-shirt or baseball cap.

BTW, what's the deal with the Model 3's cockpit.  It consist of just a steering and a freaking iPad. :)

Attachments

• Tesla Model-3 interior.jpg
    Tesla Model-3 interior.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 325
Btw, i wonder how many of 200k+ pre-order is from California and existing Tesla owners. 

I believe roll-out is to Californians first with people living closest to the assembly plant.  That means Southern Cali's have a better chance of getting the subsidy than the out of state folks.  But, I think it's a awesome value even without the subsidy.  I already removed the subsidy out of my equation. 

Only question is the reliability.  But, the model 3 is simpler and less electronics compared to S and X so hopefully, it will be more reliable.

Goriot said:
Btw, i wonder how many of 200k+ pre-order is from California and existing Tesla owners. 

I believe roll-out is to Californians first with people living closest to the assembly plant.  That means Southern Cali's have a better chance of getting the subsidy than the out of state folks.  But, I think it's a awesome value even without the subsidy.  I already removed the subsidy out of my equation. 

Only question is the reliability.  But, the model 3 is simpler and less electronics compared to S and X so hopefully, it will be more reliable.

I bet there's a lot of people who thought they would get the fed tax credit.

It's refundable? So waiting in line is a pretty decent deal IF they do end up getting it...

That interior shot is very minimalistic, lol

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Like how how the entire real estate and loan industries use tax deductions as an incentive to buy real estate?

There is a certain 'greater good argument" for real estate...this largesse benefits just one guy.

It's not just for one guy.  The rebates are for everyone...Musk is just very good at creating business to receive most benefit.  It's not like the tax credits are just for Tesla cars.

Also, there is a "greater good" argument for moving away from traditional car/fossil fuel.  That's what government subsidies are supposed to do, guide the economy and market to what it believes to be the "greater good".

There is no "greater good" argument here.  This is a straight transfer of wealth from the rich to other rich so you can drive around in a "neat" toy.  If you think you are saving the environment you're deluding yourself. The carbon footprint in creating just one of these cars smothers the efficiency of a good old, cheaper, four banger gas car.  The energy has to come from somewhere and chances are its an old coal fired power plant.  You actually do more environmental harm than good with these cars. Fate it seems is not without a sense of irony.
https://youtu.be/i0u1qTd6z44

morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
Irvinecommuter said:

There is no "greater good" argument here.  This is a straight transfer of wealth from the rich to other rich so you can drive around in a "neat" toy.  If you think you are saving the environment you're deluding yourself. The carbon footprint in creating just one of these cars smothers the efficiency of a good old, cheaper, four banger gas car.  The energy has to come from somewhere and chances are its an old coal fired power plant.  You actually do more environmental harm than good with these cars. Fate it seems is not without a sense of irony.
https://youtu.be/i0u1qTd6z44

Once Again: Electric Cars Have Lower Lifetime Carbon Emissions
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ric-cars-have-lower-lifetime-carbon-emissions

Once again...We must destroy the earth in order to save it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-19830232

Electric cars 'pose environmental threat'

The team looked at the life-cycle impact of conventional and electric vehicles.

In essence, they considered how the production, the use and the end-of-life dismantling of a car affects the environment, explained co-author Prof Anders Hammer Stromman.

"The production phase of electric vehicles proved substantially more environmentally intensive," the report said, comparing it to how petrol and diesel cars are made.

"The global warming potential from electric vehicle production is about twice that of conventional vehicles."

In addition, producing batteries and electric motors requires a lot of toxic minerals such as nickel, copper and aluminium.

Hence, the acidification impact is much greater than that of conventional car production.

"Across the other impacts considered in the analysis including potential for effects related to acid rain, airborne particulate matter, smog, human toxicity, ecosystem toxicity and depletion of fossil fuel and mineral resources, electric vehicles consistently perform worse or on par with modern internal combustion engine vehicles, despite virtually zero direct emissions during operation," according to Prof Stromman.

So the only thing left that is environmentally safe really is a flintstones mobile.  Wood logs and stone wheels powered by human is the way to go.

woodburyowner said:
AW said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Main point is the the $7500 Fed Tax Credit and $2500 CA Tax credit.  There is probably no chance you will get it if you reserved online and it's even not guaranteed if you reserved in person.

Elon also tweeted that everyone who reserved in person will get a "small token of appreciation".  Hopefully it's more than a Tesla t-shirt or baseball cap.

So tax credit is for 200k vehicles right?  Probably puts day 3 orders passed that mark. I doubt all of those 200k keep their orders as well.

jmoney74 said:
woodburyowner said:
AW said:
irvinehomeowner said:

So tax credit is for 200k vehicles right?  Probably puts day 3 orders passed that mark. I doubt all of those 200k keep their orders as well.

Isn't for all the cars produce by tesla not just the model 3?

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
woodburyowner said:
AW said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Isn't for all the cars produce by tesla not just the model 3?

Don't read this if you are pro model 3.

I don't mean to be a downer. I read, "an estimate of cars Tesla has sold is 50k-60k cars as of 12/31/15 and has a backlog of other cars (model x and s) to fill."  Also, talks about the estimate of vehicles Tesla might sell before Model 3.

Source:http://www.greencarreports.com/news...la-model-3-online-details-released-by-company

Again this is just an estimate by the article. (Who knows, right?)

SubSolar said:
Did you even see the presentation lol. Autopilot and glass roof are standard. That's $5k of options on a Model S.
Haven't gone through the whole thread to see if someone answered this, but I heard it was just the Autopilot Safety features that would be in it and not the Autopilot convenience features.  Safety features are like "brake assist".  Can anyone confirm?

Back