Tandem garage vs. side-by-side - Value Adjustment

In my old community, the HOA requires you to move the car after 72 hours. They usually just give warning tickets that do little to dissuade people from leaving their cars for longer than 72 hours. Anyways, that's plenty of time for daily use!

acf said:
In my old community, the HOA requires you to move the car after 72 hours. They usually just give warning tickets that do little to dissuade people from leaving their cars for longer than 72 hours. Anyways, that's plenty of time for daily use!

It is considered abandoned if you don't move it for 72 hours for Orange County. If someone goes out of their way and calls the police, for cars parked on public residential streets.

Sorry to necro an old thread, purchasing a place with a tandem garage now. That is the ONLY negative (other than price) for this place. Hoping can manage the tandem in exchange for great floorplan and location. May work for me since I have 1 daily driver car (ev fiat, basically free to drive with the lease deals  and government incentives they have) and one gas car (WRX) for fun/long distances. Can keep the wrx up front all the time, and use the fiat primarily.

I figure you can't have everything for your starter home, so personally am happy to settle for a tandem in exchange especially for location. Will update in 6 months with my thoughts, hopefully my attitude doesn't change  ;)

pjs4x4 did you end up living with a Tandem, if so, how was your experience? Looking at is as a 1+ garage seems like a decent way to  look at it.

It's interesting seeing my old posts and what I was thinking at the time!

I ended up with a 2 car garage that also has space for a small workshop. The main selling point for me was convenience. Although I can drive my wife's car and she can drive mine, it is just easier to have 2 car side by side. There are many tandem garages in my community and I have yet to see any of them have 2 cars parked in the garage. Most people just park their car on the spot closest to the garage door and use the inside spot for storage. In addition, they usually just park their 2nd car in guest parking or on the street. Parking has always been a hot topic in the HOA meetings. There are people with a 2 car side by side but still only park one car in the garage and HOA says to rat them out. haha

Let me know if you have any other questions.

inv0ke-epipen said:
Sorry to necro an old thread, purchasing a place with a tandem garage now. That is the ONLY negative (other than price) for this place. Hoping can manage the tandem in exchange for great floorplan and location. May work for me since I have 1 daily driver car (ev fiat, basically free to drive with the lease deals  and government incentives they have) and one gas car (WRX) for fun/long distances. Can keep the wrx up front all the time, and use the fiat primarily.

I figure you can't have everything for your starter home, so personally am happy to settle for a tandem in exchange especially for location. Will update in 6 months with my thoughts, hopefully my attitude doesn't change  ;)

pjs4x4 did you end up living with a Tandem, if so, how was your experience? Looking at is as a 1+ garage seems like a decent way to  look at it.

Are you buying in Portola Springs?

Mety said:

Looked at the new construction in Brisa at PS, but went with a resale in Quail Hill.

Walked around the community and noticed the same, most 2 car garages were really only housing one anyway.

Tandem is better than no garage... but side-by-side is way better than tandem.

I'm not sure how much appraisal value that is but I would pay 5% more if I had to.

irvinehomeowner said:

I'm not sure how much appraisal value that is but I would pay 5% more if I had to.

I was at beacon park a few weeks ago and there was a girl from 5points doing an iPad survey about home design. One of the questions was how much more would you pay for a 2 car side by side garage (versus a 2 car tandem garage). I said nothing - side by side should be the standard!  None of this tandem crap.

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I was at beacon park a few weeks ago and there was a girl from 5points doing an iPad survey about home design. One of the questions was how much more would you pay for a 2 car side by side garage (versus a 2 car tandem garage). I said nothing - side by side should be the standard!  None of this tandem crap.

So that would be tandem 2 car garage (one car in front of the other)? Makes it easier to have homes closer together.

What else would come with that? Three stories, no driveway?

There were some built like that in Northwood Pointe in the mid-late 90's

irvinehomeowner said:

The appraisal valued tandem at -10,000 relative to side by side comps. I'd value it higher personally, 5% sounds about right.

inv0ke-epipen said:
Mety said:

Looked at the new construction in Brisa at PS, but went with a resale in Quail Hill.

Walked around the community and noticed the same, most 2 car garages were really only housing one anyway.

Good choice!

Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

So that would be tandem 2 car garage (one car in front of the other)? Makes it easier to have homes closer together.

The NWP ones were better in that there were front and back garage doors. The front one usually had a driveway, the back one was just to an alley behind all the homes so either car could come or go easily.

irvinehomeowner said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

The NWP ones were better in that there were front and back garage doors. The front one usually had a driveway, the back one was just to an alley behind all the homes so either car could come or go easily.

That's the only design in which I would consider a tandem garage.  The current tandem designs assuming people are going to park 2 cars in the garage and back one out every time one needs to leave are completely impractical.

pjs4x4 said:
It's interesting seeing my old posts and what I was thinking at the time!

I ended up with a 2 car garage that also has space for a small workshop. The main selling point for me was convenience. Although I can drive my wife's car and she can drive mine, it is just easier to have 2 car side by side. There are many tandem garages in my community and I have yet to see any of them have 2 cars parked in the garage. Most people just park their car on the spot closest to the garage door and use the inside spot for storage. In addition, they usually just park their 2nd car in guest parking or on the street. Parking has always been a hot topic in the HOA meetings. There are people with a 2 car side by side but still only park one car in the garage and HOA says to rat them out. haha

Let me know if you have any other questions.

As a follow up to this, the HOA for my community just sent out a letter to all residents asking for pictures of everyone's garage (with address) showing either 2 cars parked in garage or 1 car parked in garage and other spot showing that it is not used for storage. They are giving everyone some time to fix it. Parking has been an issue in my community as some people have only parked one car in their garage and their second car has not moved from guest parking for several months.

If you want a good example of street parking nightmare by tandem garage, drive by Willow in PS at around 7PM.

The HOA wasn't too concerned though because when they inspect the community at 11am during a week day it looks like everybody parks in their garages.

So if you only have 1 car, you still need to keep your 2nd space clear and open?  That is too funny. 

Back