Tandem garage vs. side-by-side - Value Adjustment

pjs4x4

Was chatting with my wife today and we were comparing tandem vs. 2-car side-by-side and we were wondering what kind of adjustment an appraiser (in the Irvine marketplace) would give to the tandem garage. I would think $5-10k but could be way off. For example, if an appraiser were to compare two similar properties, how much of an adjustment would the appraiser give/add to the tandem to make the 2 comparable?

I have convinced myself that a tandem garage (for entry level places in Irvine) are the norm. Also, I know value differs from person to person. So my second (subjective) question to the group would be, how much more is a 2 car side-by-side garage worth more to you than an tandem?

Thanks in advance and I can't wait to hear responses.

nosuchreality said:
There fixed that for you.

Hahaha, seems to be true from what I have seen.

On a related note, how many people have had trouble from their HOA about parking your car in the street instead of garage?

Are you asking this because you are looking at Avalon plan 1?  Tandem garages suck...it's basically a one-car garage with storage.  It'll hurt you on resale as well as renting it out.  Why not look for a condo that has a side-by-side 2-car garage?  DON'T SETTLE!

USCTrojanCPA said:
Are you asking this because you are looking at Avalon plan 1?  Tandem garages suck...it's basically a one-car garage with storage.  It'll hurt you on resale as well as renting it out.  Why not look for a condo that has a side-by-side 2-car garage?  DON'T SETTLE!

Thank you for the advice. We are on the waiting list for plan 1 at Avalon but current pricing and subsequent phase pricing (assuming pricing increase per phase) appear to be more than our perceived value of the plan. So we will probably pass on the plan once/if we get the call.

We were just curious because we were comparing various plans from different villages and wanted to compared similar bed/bath and square footage count but different garage types. So my idea was to adjust one of the units so that both match and was just curious as to how much of an adjustment that would be.

I think it's pretty subjective since there are people out there that would never purchase house with a tandem garage.  It's a huge PITA for couples and families.  I guess tandem for a 1bdrm/1bath condo wouldn't be so bad since that could be geared towards someone who is single, but anything larger and you'll have a problem.  I did the tandem thing in college vowed never to do it again.

woodburyowner said:
I think it's pretty subjective since there are people out there that would never purchase house with a tandem garage.  It's a huge PITA for couples and families.  I guess tandem for a 1bdrm/1bath condo wouldn't be so bad since that could be geared towards someone who is single, but anything larger and you'll have a problem.  I did the tandem thing in college vowed never to do it again.
Agree that it's subjective.  I'm not sure what the market value is, but personally I'd need at least a $100k discount to even consider it. 

The value of marital peace cannot be assessed. 2 car sided by side, or rue the day you bought a tandem.

We found out post purchase our 3CG is really 2.5 - two mid size cars and one Yugo fit. Its been a sore issue ever since.

My .02c

SGIP
SMOD-16

Why settle when you can get a bypass tandem garage invented by me at the price of a regular tandem. It is not currently available in Irvine yet. It's all over Siliicon Valley. For some reason Irvine products have been stale for over a decade. Limited innovation and other cities are getting the prototypes.

Now you had me at that bypass tandem garage.  What does that bypass tandem garage looks like?

Definitely agree about avoiding a tandem garage. I had a tandem garage for six years and would never consider it again. It basically is a single spot with a place for a cave-like workplace.

On another note, it is very tight and makes it difficult for a family to access things when parked in the garage. Think about a mom or dad trying to remove the baby from the carseat or groceries in the back seat.

Finally, if you do settle for a tandem garage, then be prepared to drive both cars to work or for leisure as having one driver move a car becomes an inconvenience quickly.

lnc said:
Now you had me at that bypass tandem garage.  What does that bypass tandem garage looks like?
My guess is that doors on both ends and like a drive through garage.  There are some in the Northwood point villas

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like the value adjustment is priceless. Seems like no one would consider a tandem garage and I understand why.

With that being said, for those that park their extra car/cars outside, how much grief/hassle does your HOA give you? Is it something they can fine you?

Back