Sungevity

RibEye said:
iHeartIrvine said:
RibEye said:
Thanks - I had read that article as well.

However, what I meant was this: If you could lock in your energy rates at $0.15/kwh, w/ 2.9% increases for the next 20 years, with no money out of pocket, why wouldn't every homeowner jump on this?

What rates are you charged with if you consume more than what the panel produces?  If it follows Edison rate without deducting the solar kW then there isn't that much saving.  In other words, will your excess consumption be charged at Tier 1 or Tier 3/4?

According to the Solar City rep I spoke with, any usage above what the solar system produces would be charged at Edison's regular rates, but would follow the tier 1/2/3/4 structure, meaning that if my excess usage fell within the tier 1 allotment, I would only be charged tier 1 prices.

Then it seems like a good deal to avoid/minimize Tier 4 charges. 

RibEye said:
eyephone said:
The business model is based on selling a system with rising electricity prices, when costs of solar energy will be coming down dramatically over the contract period.

The real issue is when you sell the house:
1. The buyer will accept the lease/PPA, because they do no lt know better or do not care.
2. The buyer can choose to not accept the assignment because they know because of falling solar prices, they can buy a superior a more cost-effective system at a lower cost. Also, they can get a cheaper lease/PPA from the market than the old system on roof. The potential buyer will ask to clear out the lease/PPA or ask for a discount.

Source: seeking alpha article, Solar City leases and PPA: counting in uninformed customers and investors?, May 14, 2014

Thanks - I actually had not considered the situation of falling solar energy prices; rather, I had only thought about it in terms of rising electricity prices.

Also...there is possibility of you sending electricity back to Edison.  Edison gives you a credit.  I am not sure of the economics but it is something.

i feel like im talking to my kids.

DONT BUY SOLAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the headaches that eyephone pointed out negate any potential minimal savings.

Back