Sungevity

I think the break even for going solar is your electric bill has to be north of $100 consistently.

Unless you have a huge home to cool and/or a large pool, not sure if you get that high 12 months a year.

At the expo in GP a few months ago, I think they were mentioning it was about $150 which we're no where close to spending per month.

Also, those pesky salespeople that come around pitching solar lose interest fast when I stop them and say our electric bill is way under $100.  :p  So, if it's not at least $100, it's not worth it, unless you do it for some other reason.

I just hope the technology and price gets much better and we can just put something the size of a satellite antenna.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think the break even for going solar is your electric bill has to be north of $100 consistently.

Unless you have a huge home to cool and/or a large pool, not sure if you get that high 12 months a year.

irvinehomeowner said:

I have heard the bill needs to be north of $100 also to be of any real benefit to the homeowner.  Two of my co-workers went solar and they both have either $0 electric bills or $2-$3 bills each month.  They seem to like it. 
One co-worker said since going solar, he leaves his lights on more often and plans to run the air conditioner a LOT more when it is hot.  I guess having solar must feel like having an unlimited data plan on your cell phone where you don't have to monitor your useage.  Must feel liberating!

davenlei said:
One co-worker said since going solar, he leaves his lights on more often and plans to run the air conditioner a LOT more when it is hot.  I guess having solar must feel like having an unlimited data plan on your cell phone where you don't have to monitor your useage.  Must feel liberating!
Hehe... nice analogy.

My thought was once they sell an all-electric mini-van or SUV in the US, I'll go solar and drive unlimited miles for free.

qwerty said:
How much do your friends pay for solar?

One spent $30K and the other spent <$18K.  The person with the $30K cost has a larger house (3,000-4,000 sq. ft. range).
The guy with the <$18K cost is the one who has the $0 electric bill and planning to go wild this summer .

bones said:
Wait. Isn't everyone's electric bill routinely over $100. Mine definitely is. What am I doing wrong?

Mine used to hover around $90 during fall, winter and spring but jumped to $160 during the summer ($300 during that heat wave).  Now after all the added 'San Onofre upgrade and shutdown' fees, I am averaging $120-$130 during the non-summer months and I am afraid what the summer will bring.  This is with a >3,000 sq. ft. home using LED and CFL lighting and dual R410A Seer13 air conditioners.

bones said:
Wait. Isn't everyone's electric bill routinely over $100. Mine definitely is. What am I doing wrong?

Average over a year, approx $110/month for me.  But if I throw out the Aug/Sept bills, it is actually below $100.  I should do better this year since I got my A/C fixed and should be more efficient. 

ps9 said:
bones said:

Average over a year, approx $110/month for me.  But if I throw out the Aug/Sept bills, it is actually below $100.  I should do better this year since I got my A/C fixed and should be more efficient. 

Did you get your condenser replaced?  If so, do you know what seer rating air conditioner you replaced? I assume you went to a seer13 for the new one.

bones said:

my place is 3K sq ft and in the winter our bill is about 90-100. in the summer when the AC is running it jumps to 180-220.

@ps9/davenlei:

1. Is someone home most of the day?
2. Are you guys running AC all the time?
3. Do you run electric or gas in your kitchen?
4. Any high-load electrical equipment?

Seems like you guys have quite a bit of electricity usage, in our old 2500 sft home, we didn't go over $100, only probably one month during the summer. In our < 2000 sft home, we definitely did not hit $100 very often.

I think my buddy got solar but he has like a 4000sft home and a ginormous pool.

Most of these solar companies actually request 1 or 2 years worth of bills so they can do an analysis to determine if solar is right for you.

davenlei said:
qwerty said:

One spent $30K and the other spent <$18K.  The person with the $30K cost has a larger house (3,000-4,000 sq. ft. range).
The guy with the <$18K cost is the one who has the $0 electric bill and planning to go wild this summer .

for the 18K system if you average 100/month it takes 15 years to recover your money, 10 years at an average of 150/month. but this doesnt consider tax breaks (if any) and time value of money.  you would figure in 10-15 there would be much better/efficient technology that you would want to upgrade to. seems like a money loser.

qwerty said:
bones said:

my place is 3K sq ft and in the winter our bill is about 90-100. in the summer when the AC is running it jumps to 180-220.

So we are in the same ballpark when it comes to size and electric bill.  Have you moved to more efficient lighting, etc. already?  I noticed a small drop in my bill when I went LED/CFL and another small drop when I had my seer 10 AC changed to a seer 13 unit when the old downstairs one gave up the ghost.  The previous owners upgraded the upstairs unit to seer 13 before we moved in so I have no comparison to that one.

qwerty said:
davenlei said:
qwerty said:

for the 18K system if you average 100/month it takes 15 years to recover your money, 10 years at an average of 150/month. but this doesnt consider tax breaks (if any) and time value of money.  you would figure in 10-15 there would be much better/efficient technology that you would want to upgrade to. seems like a money loser.

He does qualify for some tax breaks but I am not sure how much.  He said the tax breaks will allow him to break even in under ten years.  I think he said nine but my memory fails me.

irvinehomeowner said:
@ps9/davenlei:

Seems like you guys have quite a bit of electricity usage, in our old 2500 sft home, we didn't go over $100, only probably one month during the summer. In our < 2000 sft home, we definitely did not hit $100 very often.

I think my buddy got solar but he has like a 4000sft home and a ginormous pool.

Most of these solar companies actually request 1 or 2 years worth of bills so they can do an analysis to determine if solar is right for you.

Answers below:

No, but I have five people in my household.

No.  I live in a coastal area but my wife still likes to run it when it is a little warmer than usual.

Gas stove, electric in wall oven.

Only AC but we do have a lot of electronics all over the house.  I have used my kill-a-watt meter on some of the things and I was surprised laptops suck 15-18 watts when in standby mode.

Back