speeding, racing car during normal traffic hour 7pm on sand canyon

If RE wasn't so expensive in So Cal, we could open up a 1/4 mile dragstrip. I think that would at the very least have a little bit of influence of taming racers on the street. Won't cure all street racing, but I know for a fact it would help. But that won't happen, we need more houses, condos, and apartments around Orange County :sarcasm:

But lets be honest, traffic signal's located every 100ft from each-other in Irvine, it's hard to find any streets where street racing can occur.

sell4u said:
If RE wasn't so expensive in So Cal, we could open up a 1/4 mile dragstrip. I think that would at the very least have a little bit of influence of taming racers on the street. Won't cure all street racing, but I know for a fact it would help. But that won't happen, we need more houses, condos, and apartments around Orange County :sarcasm:

But lets be honest, traffic signal's located every 100ft from each-other in Irvine, it's hard to find any streets where street racing can occur.

OR we could have stretches of highway with unlimited speed limits like the autobahn. When we did our last euro delivery those stretches of pure adrenaline was the highlight of my trip. Next would be Nurburgring!
Now if we can only transplant those awesome German drivers onto our roads. It would certainly not fly with the state of current drivers in Irvine  ;D

Paris said:
sell4u said:

OR we could have stretches of highway with unlimited speed limits like the autobahn. When we did our last euro delivery those stretches of pure adrenaline was the highlight of my trip. Next would be Nurburgring!
Now if we can only transplant those awesome German drivers onto our roads. It would certainly not fly with the state of current drivers in Irvine  ;D

Reminds me of the time I was in Germany for a business trip and sat in a coworker's A8 when he took it up to around 140mph on the autobahn.  It was quite a rush (with a ear to ear grin) and I realized that if anything happened to our car they would probably be scraping parts of us off the pavement.  But yea, definitely the highlight of that trip.  Yes, the traffic on the autobahn is the most orderly I have ever seen anywhere, probably out of necessity.  As opposed to China, which is on the other side of the spectrum.

The random infrequent speeders/racers create much less of a hazard, as a whole, than the large percentage of Irvine drivers constantly:

1) looking down at their cell phones,
2) driving well below speed limits with too much space between cars (because they're looking at their phones or because they're very old)
3) failing to signal lane changes/turns, and
4) running yellow/red lights.

Perspective said:
The random infrequent speeders/racers create much less of a hazard, as a whole, than the large percentage of Irvine drivers constantly:

1) looking down at their cell phones,
2) driving well below speed limits with too much space between cars (because they're looking at their phones or because they're very old)
3) failing to signal lane changes/turns, and
4) running yellow/red lights.

Add playing Pokemon Go while driving to the list!
(For the record my kid is my Pokemon Go navigator when I drive)

MagicJ1zz said:
BMWs may speed real fast, but the car is more than capable of braking on a dime and making quick turns.  At least the speeder is always in full control with full attention as to what he's doing.  The road on sand canyon is in decent condition for speeding and that's why you see 55+mph speed limit and 60mph on irvine blvd.

I have owned Toyotas, Acuras, Nissans, Hondas, and a BMW.  A Toyota Camry doing 80MPH on Sand Canyon is far worse than a BMW 3 series doing 80MPH on Sand Canyon.

Sand Canyon is not a freeway...I don't care if you're Mario Andretti driving a BMW, going 80MPH on a surface street is just too dangerous.  There are just too many pregnant Chinese ladies walking on the sidewalks and cross walks. 

MagicJ1zz said:
BMWs may speed real fast, but the car is more than capable of braking on a dime and making quick turns.  At least the speeder is always in full control with full attention as to what he's doing.  The road on sand canyon is in decent condition for speeding and that's why you see 55+mph speed limit and 60mph on irvine blvd.

I have owned Toyotas, Acuras, Nissans, Hondas, and a BMW.  A Toyota Camry doing 80MPH on Sand Canyon is far worse than a BMW 3 series doing 80MPH on Sand Canyon.

My sentiments exactly. Those minivans driving half the speed limit in between lanes, changing lanes without looking and distracted by screaming kids in the back seat or on their cell phones are way more hazardous to the road. At least the typical sports car driver is generally a much better driver capable of handling most situations and are usually very focused on the road, not distracted. I don't endorse going 80mph on surface roads but my argument is that these people in general are much better drivers despite going slightly above speed limits.
When you drive by the next car accident in Irvine just look at what type of cars are involved and the type of drivers standing outside. It is very rare to see a sports car like Porsche, a sport BMW, sport Audi involved. And if they are you can bet 1. It was the other guy's fault or 2. The sport driver is young (high school/ college age and inexperienced).
Just my observation on Irvine roads over the years  :)

Paris said:
MagicJ1zz said:

My sentiments exactly. Those minivans driving half the speed limit in between lanes, changing lanes without looking and distracted by screaming kids in the back seat or on their cell phones are way more hazardous to the road. At least the typical sports car driver is generally a much better driver capable of handling most situations and are usually very focused on the road, not distracted. I don't endorse going 80mph on surface roads but my argument is that these people in general are much better drivers despite going slightly above speed limits.
When you drive by the next car accident in Irvine just look at what type of cars are involved and the type of drivers standing outside. It is very rare to see a sports car like Porsche, a sport BMW, sport Audi involved. And if they are you can bet 1. It was the other guy's fault or 2. The sport driver is young (high school/ college age and inexperienced).
Just my observation on Irvine roads over the years  :)

Says the woman who cut someone off with her screaming kids in the backseat, inciting a road rage incident of her own.

Paris said:
When you drive by the next car accident in Irvine just look at what type of cars are involved and the type of drivers standing outside. It is very rare to see a sports car like Porsche, a sport BMW, sport Audi involved.

The reason most accidents involve non-sports cars is simply because there are more non-sports cars on the road. This is jr. high probability and statistics. The insurance industry keeps a massive database of accidents and the cars involved and this data is incorporated into the price of insurance.  Your insurance agent should be able to give you a pretty accurate picture of the drivers of what type of vehicles are more likely to get into accidents.

Happiness said:
Paris said:
When you drive by the next car accident in Irvine just look at what type of cars are involved and the type of drivers standing outside. It is very rare to see a sports car like Porsche, a sport BMW, sport Audi involved.

The reason most accidents involve non-sports cars is simply because there are more non-sports cars on the road. This is jr. high probability and statistics. The insurance industry keeps a massive database of accidents and the cars involved and this data is incorporated into the price of insurance.  Your insurance agent should be able to give you a pretty accurate picture of the drivers of what type of vehicles are more likely to get into accidents.

Hey now. It's 2016, and half this country thinks Trump is a sensible option for President. So don't you try to educate me on "logic, statistics, sample size, etc."!!! There's no place for this!

Happiness said:
Paris said:

Fine happiness, I'll give you that, good point. But sports car enthusiasts in general are usually more focused while driving and very protective of their vehicles on the road (and in parking lots).

Paris said:
Happiness said:
Paris said:

Fine happiness, I'll give you that, good point. But sports car enthusiasts in general are usually more focused while driving and very protective of their vehicles on the road (and in parking lots).

Thing is most accidents involving "slow" drivers are minor and non-fatal in general.  Accidents involving high speed sports car are generally fatal.  I'll take 10 non-fatal accident any time over 1 fatal one.

GH said:
Paris said:
Happiness said:
Paris said:

Thing is most accidents involving "slow" drivers are minor and non-fatal in general.  Accidents involving high speed sports car are generally fatal.  I'll take 10 non-fatal accident any time over 1 fatal one.
A common thing you hear from US military who have been stationed in Germany is "there are no accidents on the autobahn, only fatalities."  Apparently, no speed limit on a road with two lanes in each direction where the inside lane is moving at 90 mph and the outside lane is moving at 50 mph is considered a cultural right in Germany much like the 2nd Amendment is in the US.

Happiness said:
GH said:
Paris said:
Happiness said:
Paris said:

A common thing you hear from US military who have been stationed in Germany is "there are no accidents on the autobahn, only fatalities."  Apparently, no speed limit on a road with two lanes in each direction where the inside lane is moving at 90 mph and the outside lane is moving at 50 mph is considered a cultural right in Germany much like the 2nd Amendment is in the US.

True, they need to change the 2 lanes only on the autobahn, it's quite dangerous. When I was briefly flying down the inside lane at 150mph a car way ahead was passing another (he was probably going about 100) but couldn't gauge how fast I was coming down and approaching him. His quick action to get back to the outside lane and my amazingly powerful brakes were the 2 things that prevented a crash ( likely a fatality).
But despite driving all around Germany I never saw one accident. Germans are excellent drivers, not distracted while driving (they take driving very seriously) and I guess when you know an accident will likely mean life or death you tend to be more vigilant.
The autobahn has stretches of unlimited mileage but there are lots of stretches also with speed limits.

Paris said:
Happiness said:
Paris said:

I can definitely agree on the sports car enthusiast mentality
I know it's just my personal opinion, but those that are really into cars make sure it's in tip top condition, and really enjoy driving.  In the cars I've been in, they are focused 100% on the road

I've seen in non sports cars EVERYTHING including eating in the car, using phone, pokemon, headphones, or pretty much any distraction possible to kill time

This may be pure coincidence but I've rarely seen a car that was newly washed/waxed that has bumps in the cars/scratches that occur in accidents...I think if you make it a point to keep it clean, you make sure you are focused and avoid accidents

GH said:
Paris said:
Happiness said:
Paris said:

I'm guessing Paul Walker would agree with you.

Sports car may handle better, break faster and the driver might be more focus while driving  but a lot of drivers overestimate their talent and underestimate just how quickly things can go wrong. 

Nowadays, these sports car are quite powerful and can be quite a challenge to handle them.  Here's video of M4 lose control just from a simple quick acceleration. 
https://youtu.be/miA5qj5ergM

Back