Solar upgrade at Ellwood - Any takers?

gasman said:
Cornflakes said:
gasman,

Did you achiever the coveted $3.25-3.5 per watt price?

Before fed tax credit, my total came out to $3.17/watt.

After fed tax credit, it is $2.22/watt.

Thanks gasman. This is validation that under $3 is achievable. This can help greatly with payback period. Man, if I can achieve payback period of less than 5 years, that would be awesome!

I will reach out to you eventually for the details on all the hard work you have done. My COE is far out and I just heard there are delays still. I might close towards the end of the year for all I know.

eyephone said:
gasman said:
That's great news. :)

That's only 3 years.
So after 3 years the rule can change.

Think of it this way. You can put panels today that exceeds your power needs and sell excess to SCE at retail rates for next 3 years. Even if the rules change in 2019, you'd have broke-evn on the cost or will be close to it by then.

Cornflakes said:
eyephone said:
gasman said:
That's great news. :)

That's only 3 years.

Think of it this way. You can put panels today that exceeds your power needs and sell excess to SCE at retail rates for next 3 years. Even if the rules change in 2019, you'd have broke-evn on the cost or will be close to it by then.

Or it can be like Nevada. Sorry we changed the rules.
#expensiveRoof

eyephone said:
That's only 3 years.

Sure, they can, but likely with a grandfather clause.  Nevada's handling of net metering is not the norm, and I have to imagine there will be a strong enough lobby in CA to prevent the same occurring.  In any case, I'll milk it for 3 years, then I'll look into battery options as needed.  Battery systems will be the next big opportunity in off-grid power.  Enphase is already in R&D, and Tesla has product available.  I'm not a big fan of the Tesla offering, as it has some serious limitations/challenges, but it's important for someone to pull the trigger first (thanks Elon), then others can follow suit and provide better products (sorry Elon).

gasman said:
eyephone said:
That's only 3 years.

Sure, they can, but likely with a grandfather clause.  Nevada's handling of net metering is not the norm, and I have to imagine there will be a strong enough lobby in CA to prevent the same occurring.  In any case, I'll milk it for 3 years, then I'll look into battery options as needed.  Battery systems will be the next big opportunity in off-grid power.  Enphase is already in R&D, and Tesla has product available.  I'm not a big fan of the Tesla offering, as it has some serious limitations/challenges, but it's important for someone to pull the trigger first (thanks Elon), then others can follow suit and provide better products (sorry Elon).

Im just looking at the "trend" through out some states regarding solar net metering and it's not looking good. (Hawaii, Arizona, Mississippi, ...)

3 years is too short

eyephone said:
gasman said:
eyephone said:
That's only 3 years.

Im just looking at the "trend" through out some states regarding solar net metering and it's not looking good. (Hawaii, Arizona, Mississippi, ...)

3 years is too short

If you think about it, its just capitalism at work. Why should utility give you and me retail price for the energy? Their whole business is to buy or generate energy at lower wholesale rate and sell it you us at retail rate. As homeowner, I'd hate to see net metering go away, but I can see why would it not go on for too long.

Cornflakes said:
eyephone said:
gasman said:
eyephone said:
That's only 3 years.

3 years is too short

If you think about it, its just capitalism at work. Why should utility give you and me retail price for the energy? Their whole business is to buy or generate energy at lower wholesale rate and sell it you us at retail rate. As homeowner, I'd hate to see net metering go away, but I can see why would it not go on for too long.

After your statement, are you still looking to get solar?

eyephone said:
Cornflakes said:
eyephone said:
gasman said:
eyephone said:
That's only 3 years.

3 years is too short

After your statement, are you still looking to get solar?

I probably will. Offsetting tier 3 and tier 4 prices (14 cents and up) with solar generated cheaper watts (7 to 9 cents) could still be worth it. The payback periods may be longer, but I am strong believer in 'market will find a way to get around it'. Remember, net metering only applies to the excess energy that you put back in grid.

Few years ago, break even point for solar used to be 10 years. now its is 5-7 years. I do not see the trend going backwards. With technological advances, higher emphasis on clean energy, innovation on energy storage and all, I am optimistic that some combination of solutions will emerge that lowers the payback period.

Has anyone tried SolarCity?  Their product does seem to be the best efficiency and they offer 30yr insurance and warranty.

Solar City is on the bottom of my list.  If you don't have any shading issues, and you are ok with string inverters, then they might be a good fit for you.  Also they try to push their lease programs more than others, so again if that is what you want, then they might be a fit.

Personally, I wanted a micro inverter or power optimizer solution, wanted to purchase, didn't want a big inverter in the garage, and wanted control over panel make/model, so solar city was out.

We added a system to our home last year and here are some thoughts (not necessarily related to Ellwood):

First - For any questions on solar in general, you'll get better answers from existing owners and SolarPanelTalk as opposed to the vendors. You'll want to evaluate the vendors based on their installs, etc.. But don't rely on them for advice on equipment choices (panels, inverters) or rebate information. It's like dealing with a salesman at a car dealership.

Second - Make sure your roof doesn't need repairs any time soon. You probably had this inspected when you bought the place.

Third - Don't lease.

Fourth - All the vendors are going to ask you for copies of your electricity bills (so they can scope out a system of the correct size).

Fifth - When you call, you want to avoid a salesperson and speak to the president or whatever. If you get a salesperson, the price you get quoted will be higher. INSIST on getting a quote over the phone. Don't let them come to your house to meet you - it will be a waste of time.

Sixth - There are several companies in SoCal that do a lot of business: Solar OptimumLA Solar, Sunline Energy, and Infinity Solar. They have good reviews on Yelp and they are able to discount the prices big time.

When comparing prices, stick to the pre-tax credit, pre-rebate price so that things are consistent. This is the price you want to negotiate with the vendor. Under $3/watt is definitely doable. We ended up with SolarWorld 285 panels and SolarEdge optimizers.

zovall said:
We added a system to our home last year and here are some thoughts (not necessarily related to Ellwood):

First - For any questions on solar in general, you'll get better answers from existing owners and SolarPanelTalk as opposed to the vendors. You'll want to evaluate the vendors based on their installs, etc.. But don't rely on them for advice on equipment choices (panels, inverters) or rebate information. It's like dealing with a salesman at a car dealership.

Second - Make sure your roof doesn't need repairs any time soon. You probably had this inspected when you bought the place.

Third - Don't lease.

Fourth - All the vendors are going to ask you for copies of your electricity bills (so they can scope out a system of the correct size).

Fifth - When you call, you want to avoid a salesperson and speak to the president or whatever. If you get a salesperson, the price you get quoted will be higher. INSIST on getting a quote over the phone. Don't let them come to your house to meet you - it will be a waste of time.

Sixth - There are several companies in SoCal that do a lot of business: Solar OptimumLA Solar, Sunline Energy, and Infinity Solar. They have good reviews on Yelp and they are able to discount the prices big time.

When comparing prices, stick to the pre-tax credit, pre-rebate price so that things are consistent. This is the price you want to negotiate with the vendor. Under $3/watt is definitely doable. We ended up with SolarWorld 285 panels and SolarEdge optimizers.

Thanks. This is good info.

Did you mean $3 on gross price, or after all credits/rebates?

Patriotone said:
Has anyone tried SolarCity?  Their product does seem to be the best efficiency and they offer 30yr insurance and warranty.

Quite the opposite. Sunpower are the best panels more efficient panels, but cost the most. SolarCity doesn't offer Sunpower.

SubSolar said:
Quite the opposite. Sunpower are the best panels more efficient panels, but cost the most. SolarCity doesn't offer Sunpower.

This.  If you get sucked into the "made in USA" marketing babble, then go with Sunpower.  Pairing Sunpower with Solaredge optimizers is a killer setup.  Don't bother with SolarWorld...they aren't profitable, and are a German subsidiary.

Sunpower with Enphase is not as nice of a proposition...the panel rating far exceeds the inverter limit, so you'll get more clipping there.  I paired LG with Enphase based on the technical specifications and pricing.

If you are interested in Solar City, I would recommend you check out Sullivan Solar Power instead.  Much better reputation, much better product, and they will do strings all day.

IMHO, I would rank the above mentioned solar companies in this order:

Tie for 1st: LA Solar & Sunline (I would have preferred to work with Sunline, but their pricing wasn't as competitive with LA Solar)
3rd: Sullivan (not a good fit for us but they do awesome Sunpower strings)
4th: Infinity (great small company, but their sales guy was horrible and killed the deal for me)
5th: Solar Optimum (not a good fit for us, and their sales team is very weak)
127612094712th: Solar City

Take the ranking with a grain of salt, but the rest of the data is legit. :)

Back