Snowflakes

Ready2Downsize said:
Kings said:
what's with the removal of all black people from product marketing?  sounds racist to me

Mrs. Butterworth isn't black, she's white but still has to go cuz some people think she's black.

If there weren't black people on products then of course we're racist cuz there aren't black people represented.

There is a difference between representing and using stereotypes that are considered racist.

My favorite toothpaste, but after they changed this brand to DARLIE, I switched to colgate.

darkie-toothpaste.jpg

That mans teeth sure is white!

zubs said:
My favorite toothpaste, but after they changed this brand to DARLIE, I switched to colgate.

darkie-toothpaste.jpg

That mans teeth sure is white!

The guy on the Darkie tube is not black. That is Al Jolson, a Russian Jew, who was known in vaudeville as the king of black face.

irvinehomeowner said:
Two months ago, Land O' Lakes removed the Native American character from their products, the Cleveland Indians removed their Chief Wahoo character from their branding in 2019... do you consider that also "snowflakey"?

yup.  if sales were really suffering, then sure change your logo.  but these companies are just doing it because they're virtue signaling to the loudest voices and will likely lose long-term customers because of it rather than gain "woke" children who are just looking to make headlines.

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Two months ago, Land O' Lakes removed the Native American character from their products, the Cleveland Indians removed their Chief Wahoo character from their branding in 2019... do you consider that also "snowflakey"?

yup.  if sales were really suffering, then sure change your logo.  but these companies are just doing it because they're virtue signaling to the loudest voices and will likely lose long-term customers because of it rather than gain "woke" children who are just looking to make headlines.

But you didn't answer the question about removing racially insensitive branding... do you think that's a non-issue too?

irvinehomeowner said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

But you didn't answer the question about removing racially insensitive branding... do you think that's a non-issue too?

it's all a marketing ploy and trying to capitalize on current events

if these brands were so racist, why didn't they change 3 years ago, or 5 years ago?  was the country that much more racist back then that it was acceptable, but now it is not?

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Still not answering the question.

are you offended?  :)

No... but I'm not asking why these companies didn't do this before (although it has come up).

What I'm asking is if *you* (along with morekaos and Happiness) think it's something that should be done... whether it be today or 5 years ago.

irvinehomeowner said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

No... but I'm not asking why these companies didn't do this before (although it has come up).

What I'm asking is if *you* (along with morekaos and Happiness) think it's something that should be done... whether it be today or 5 years ago.

i don't purchase these products now and i won't in the future.  they're welcome to put whatever logo they want.  whether something *should* be done on the basis of feelings doesn't matter because at the end of the day businesses only make decisions based on $$$

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:

i don't purchase these products now and i won't in the future.  they're welcome to put whatever logo they want.  whether something *should* be done on the basis of feelings doesn't matter because at the end of the day businesses only make decisions based on $$$
Again, not asking what your purchasing habits are... just asking if you think branding that has racially insensitive images is an issue or not.

But I'm seeing a pattern here... so I'll stop asking.

The market, and only the market, should decide whether a product exists or not. The very notion of "correct thinking" is literally the most un-American concept imaginable. Other countries have ministries of information, thought police, etc. to make sure your heart and brain are pure. This country was founded on a rejection of those principles and over the last two centuries have welcomed millions of people fleeing such places. There is more to life than just food and shelter. A life without freedom of thought is not worth living.

Happiness said:
The market, and only the market, should decide whether a product exists or not. The very notion of "correct thinking" is literally the most un-American concept imaginable. Other countries have ministries of information, thought police, etc. to make sure your heart and brain are pure. This country was founded on a rejection of those principles and over the last two centuries have welcomed millions of people fleeing such places. There is more to life than just food and shelter. A life without freedom of thought is not worth living.

Uhhh... have you not seen the protests?

The market has spoken... and has been speaking for quite some time.

It?s just that some people have not been listening.

irvinehomeowner said:
Happiness said:

I haven't seen any sales data on these products but if it is true the market has spoken, then I'm totally good with that.

Happiness said:

Also... this is ironic... Trump seems like the antithesis of this sentiment.

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Happiness said:

I haven't seen any sales data on these products but if it is true the market has spoken, then I'm totally good with that.

So you're saying a company needs to wait until the market kicks them in the groin and they lose substantial revenue before adapting to changes they perceive in their consumers?

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Happiness said:

"*IF* it is true that the market has spoken"?

Oooo... I hope you're not in sales. Like NSR said... your groin would be in so much pain right now.

Was the Taco Bell chihuahua considered racist? I don?t remember. I was fan of it personally and did not find it offensive. But I am not PC and generally aren?t offended by most things. Except being told to wear a mask :)

I do believe in a meritocracy and don?t believe things should be equally representative of races in America. X% of America is race A and therefore X% of CEOs should be Race A.

Where was the outcry for the Asian population in the US when they were being called names and getting assaulted because of covid? Where is the outcry to support Asians that aren?t allowed into the best schools because there are already too many Asians? That seems pretty racist.

Where is the movement to increase the number of Hispanic CEOs in business? Hispanics are about 18% of the US population? Yet make up only 4.3% of executives compared to 3.2% for black and 5.9% for Asians, the rest are white. 

With that said, I do think black people get the short the end of the stick because of various stereotypes and/or racism. I?m hopeful one day black people get a fair shake, but I?m hopeful everyone gets a fair shake.

Back