Silvermist by K.Hovnanian Homes at Beacon Park

Yes it does now. 
I will actually wall off the dining room and put a large sliding glass wall and turn it into another den for the kids.  Like the one used in Capella Residence 3 Model.

MFWIC said:
If anyone is going to complain about the cfd and taxes, it's deductible from your income so who cares.  Yes I finally saw the light.

At this price point, you are most likely in AMT territory and property taxes no longer become deductible. 

MFWIC said:
It was mostly the downstairs masters. 
On another note, the changes they made at Jade, really makes it one of the best buys now.

Jade has a 4 car garage, which no one mentions.  I can fit 2 NSX in the back and 2 full size sedans in the front. 
It feels good inside with 10ft ceilings.
The new dining nook and loft makes the place feel so much bigger now.
$1.5 Million for a 4105 SQFT home with home lots in the +7,000SQFT without any premiums.  That works out to $375/sqft.

If anyone is going to complain about the cfd and taxes, it's deductible from your income so who cares.  Yes I finally saw the light.

Saviero didn't have a furnished model for the downstairs master plan. We went to the sales office many times (starting with the grand opening day) asking to see one in progress and were put off repeatedly (not finished enough for non construction workers to walk into). They were supposed to call me when they got it done enough but no one ever called. I finally walked the outside of the lot and looked thru the windows for the one they had available and it looked like the kitchen was dark PLUS they had put in their upgrades and flooring. AND we could hear the toll road and for that money and taxes being in the TUSD (even tho I have no kids in school) we eliminated Saviero as an option without ever walking into the home.

Just curious, why do many people think having a Master Room downstairs is a bad idea? For us, we specifically searched for a house with the MB, secondary room and laundry room downstairs.  It was so inconvenient to climb up and down everyday.  Never going back to having MB and Laundry upstairs.

Goriot said:
Just curious, why do many people think having a Master Room downstairs is a bad idea? For us, we specifically searched for a house with the MB, secondary room and laundry room downstairs.  It was so inconvenient to climb up and down everyday.  Never going back to having MB and Laundry upstairs.
Personal opinion and observation is that people like to have it upstairs because it's more private, if it's downstairs, and if you have guests, they'll encroach on this private space.  If it's a single story then it wouldn't matter.

Also, since the upstairs have the space, the bedrooms would be bigger than they normally would be downstairs because kitchen and living room is always downstairs.

Personally, I'd prefer a house that's a single story with a decent yard.

Ditto for us.

An article I saw a few months ago says in other parts of the country, downstairs masters are preferred and the number one reason for people not getting them, is "they are used to" masters upstairs.

Some other comments on houzz seem to indicate a regional preference as well:http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2337146/master-on-main-vs-upstairs

Going forward, I'm thrilled master downstairs doesn't sell well because in 20 years it will be harder to find them...... not that I think I will be the one to sell my house but my kids will.

Hawathorn sold ok in PP and every house had downstairs masters.

Dual masters would be nice but usually the downstairs master is small and one or the other ends up being wasted unless you have two generations there at the same time.

Goriot said:

I think it depends what stage you are in life. Buyers with young kids (such as us) probably prefer to have bedroom on the same floor with them. I wouldn't consider a house with master down (and secondary beds up)  until my kids were in high school, and even then, I think I would prefer to be on same floor to keep an eye on them. When the kids are grown and out of the house, I  don't need such a big house and intend to downsize to a single story condo closer to the coast, (when I no longer have to commute every day) or a single story house with a large yard in North Tustin.

Also, if you like to sleep with windows open, it is safer when your bedroom is on the second floor.

Looks like everyone is on a same theme.  Plans to move to a single story home with a view during retirement years=).  This is same for us as well.
I think single story homes will be Hot Sellers in the future as more Baby Boomers and others hit retirement age.

btw, we have a toddler and I still prefer MB and secondary bedroom downstairs so we don't have to carry him up and down 100 times a day to get his diaper, clothing, etc.  As soon as he could go up and down the stairs safely, he will be kicked up to the 2nd floor.  We also could monitor him, if he tries to sneak out before finishing his homework.

LongIrvine said:
So where are the good single story homes?

Personally like Olivia floorplans, not the location.

older neighborhoods is the key
single story homes with character and large yards

Turtle Rock
North Tustin
Old Towne Tustin
Old Towne Orange,
Anaheim has some cute areas with awesome vintage craftsman houses
Newport (CDM older neigborhoods, not Newport Coast mansions)

if you no longer have school age kids, then paying through the nose for "great" schools is not as important.
there was an interesting article on socioeconomic segregation of neighborhoods in the Washington Post or the Atlantic recently, I forget which. Interestingly, socioeconomic segregation through house buying decision is far greater for families with kids than families without kids. Mostly due to people feeling the need to buy at edge of their affordability in order to get the "best" schools they can afford and give their kids as much of an advantage as possible in the face of increasing educational  and economic inequality in our country.

AW said:
Goriot said:
Personal opinion and observation is that people like to have it upstairs because it's more private, if it's downstairs, and if you have guests, they'll encroach on this private space.  If it's a single story then it wouldn't matter.

Also, since the upstairs have the space, the bedrooms would be bigger than they normally would be downstairs because kitchen and living room is always downstairs.

Personally, I'd prefer a house that's a single story with a decent yard.
I think the bigger issue is for families with kids, especially young kids (than again maybe still for older kids too), parents (or at least my wife) prefer to be on the same floor as there kids. 

Back