Rude buyer's agent

gasman said:
ob1 said:
The point is that it's not the agent or OP's fault. 
This is just what FCB do no matter what the MLS instructions say.

Agreed.  But the agent needs to help bring order to the chaos.  Seller should also recognize the situation and know what his/her options are.  It's obvious the OP didn't know what the options were, which is the agent's fault for not setting expectations.  It doesn't take much time to establish:

"if X happens, do Y"

which in this case should have been:

"if FCB and agent show up at your door unannounced, call me and I'll take care of it"

Done.

Fair point. 
The agent probably assumed the buyers' agent would abide by the MLS instructions.
It's hard to envision all the ways FCBs will be rude and provide the right instruction for each instance.

But this seems to happen enough now, that the seller's agent could have given a heads-up.

I think the point of this thread was the OP's last question:
Should I need to take classes to prepare myself for the next negotiation?
I believe everyone agrees that "No" is the answer and that they should just refer the buyer's agent to talk to their own agent.

What people are wondering is why the OP would be asking this question in the first place. They should be having this discussion with their agent.

Additionally, how hard is it to tell the buyer's agent to call their agent? Verbal negotiation is a no-no anyways, until it is offered in writing with the appropriate supporting docs... it's just talk and a waste of time.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think the point of this thread was the OP's last question:
Should I need to take classes to prepare myself for the next negotiation?
I believe everyone agrees that "No" is the answer and that they should just refer the buyer's agent to talk to their own agent.

What people are wondering is why the OP would be asking this question in the first place. They should be having this discussion with their agent.

Additionally, how hard is it to tell the buyer's agent to call their agent? Verbal negotiation is a no-no anyways, until it is offered in writing with the appropriate supporting docs... it's just talk and a waste of time.
Bingo!  When it comes to real estate, if it's not a written agreement it means nothing.  There's no such thing as a verbal agreement in the real estate world. 

OP, if that agent/buyer comes back again....if they want the home they need to WRITE an offer and provide proof of funds.  If not, tell them to take a hike because talk is cheap. 

poodles said:
Buyer and agent just showed up again today like the first time they looked at my house. After looking at the house the agent started to talking to me about the price. I did tell the agent she can talk to my agent but insisted we negotiate in front of my front door!  Since my agent doesn't live with us... He wasn't here... If I had known today is the only day they can talk about the price my agent would have been here to negotiate and close the deal..I guess this is another life lesson... We must bow our heads to cash buyers and cash buyers DO NOT WANT TO NEGOTIATE!

Poodles, this is what you tell them - Just repeat the same words over & over & over: "Talk to my agent." I don't care if you have to say it 100 times. Just keep saying, "Talk to my agent." They will get it eventually.

Your agent should have told you this already. I feel sorry for you that you are feeling overwhelmed and confused. It is normal to feel that way your first time.  If it is any consolation, I had a similar experience my first time selling, except my agent advised me ahead of time what to expect and what to do so it was a bit easier.

Some things to consider: Typically your agent will tell you not to have direct communication with a potential buyer without an agent present. If a buyer shows up alone, turn them away by telling them to come back with an agent. However, they will encourage you to make your home as available for showings as possible. I've had people call from the curb to "set an appointment" -- meaning in the next 2 minutes.  If they have any questions about what you might be willing to include like washer & dryer or want to negotiate with you, just repeat, "Talk to my agent." Some tips of my own: Be as available as possible i.e. don't get rattled if you get a knock on the door one early Saturday morning at 8 a.m. However, be clear with them about treating your home with respect. For ex: I didn't allow shoes in my home and had booties available in the foyer. One buyer's agent & their clients disregarded it and when I reminded them, thinking they just didn't notice, their agent told me no they're not going to do that, told the buyers to keep walking, blew me off, and continued walking upstairs. Tell these kind of people they need to leave and come back when they are ready to see the home. Just don't be surprised if you get a last-minute call from someone at your front door or if they march to the beat of their own drum. People are generally selfish. I hope this helps!

They might be a "quick close, all cash" transaction, but these words have always served me well when deciding on how to move forward on a deal:

"Once a problem, always a problem".

You might get top dollar in a situation as described, but it also often comes at a high price emotionally. If a Buyer's Agent can't control their client (or themselves for that matter) that's what front doors are for.  Show it to them, and be at peace for doing so.

My .02c

Thank you all for the advices... I just hope I don't ever see people like them! Can't believe the buyer's agent is advertising herself as one of the top multi-million dollar producers at Coldwell Banker George Realty. 

poodles said:
Thank you all for the advices... I just hope I don't ever see people like them! Can't believe the buyer's agent is advertising herself as one of the top multi-million dollar producers at Coldwell Banker George Realty.

Who knows - "she might be"  ;)

Back