Rude buyer's agent

poodles

We listed as or home to show as appointment only. It has been working out okay except for some people showing up randomly. They think automatically we would bow our heads to them because they brought a cash buyer.  Since we wanted to sell our house quickly I allowed them to come in and take a look.

One buyer made and offer and we counter offered. Next thing I hear is my door bell ring. They came again without any phone calls. After seeing my house for the second time the buyer's agent starts negotiating the price. I was not prepared for this at all!! I pay my agent to this and I'm not experienced in any way in real estate. Is this what they do now a days? The agent did say her buyer is going back to china but I don't think it is professional to do a deal with the owner.  I have never heard such a thing! Should I need to take classes to prepare myself for the next negotiation?

Sounds like your agent should be negotiating on your behalf. You shouldn't have to negotiate. That person can still put in an offer from China using docusign. (Your agent should of told you this)

If your agent is not cutting it, let go of your agent due to "non performance." Your paying the agent, and the agent ain't doing nothing from the story you told. If you had a good agent, your house would be already in escrow probably.

You should touch basis with the realtors on TI.  Good luck.

Those Chinese buyers only spare one or two week's time for the whole process of purchasing a house. Some of them do not even present in US, They make the decision by viewing the house pictures their agent send them.

ukuoy said:
Those Chinese buyers only spare one or two week's time for the whole process of purchasing a house. Some of them do not even present in US, They make the decision by viewing the house pictures their agent send them.

Yeah I understand they come to the US to search for properties. Also, it's a "strategy" they want you to make a decision quick with a discount. My client will only be here x amount of days so how about you take this offer.

Let's be real, they came twice to your home and made an offer. That means they like your place. Tell your agent to follow up.

Buyer and agent just showed up again today like the first time they looked at my house. After looking at the house the agent started to talking to me about the price. I did tell the agent she can talk to my agent but insisted we negotiate in front of my front door!  Since my agent doesn't live with us... He wasn't here... If I had known today is the only day they can talk about the price my agent would have been here to negotiate and close the deal..I guess this is another life lesson... We must bow our heads to cash buyers and cash buyers DO NOT WANT TO NEGOTIATE!

poodles said:
Buyer and agent just showed up again today like the first time they looked at my house. After looking at the house the agent started to talking to me about the price. I did tell the agent she can talk to my agent but insisted we negotiate in front of my front door!  Since my agent doesn't live with us... He wasn't here... If I had known today is the only day they can talk about the price my agent would have been here to negotiate and close the deal..I guess this is another life lesson... We must bow our heads to cash buyers and cash buyers DO NOT WANT TO NEGOTIATE!

Like I said - you need a good agent. A good agent would have driven there lightening speed and negotiated for you.

Don't feel bad. Your house will sell soon. (If your agent comes by ~ wink)

eyephone said:
poodles said:

Like I said - you need a good agent. A good agent would have driven there lightening speed and would have negotiated the deal.

Don't feel bad. Your house will sell soon. (If your agent comes by ~ wink)

Did you call your agent?  'Cash buyer knocking on door' should be enticing enough to warrant a stop over.

Your story sounds somewhat similar to my experience when I sold my house some years back.  Same FCB with shady (just happened to be asian) buyer's agent.  These kind of shady agents do not follow the rules nor control their client so anything can happen and did happen to us.  After months of fighting over the earnest money because they backed out after all contingencies were lifted, the only good that came out of it was I got half of the earnest money.  If I had to do it over again, I would have listened to my instinct and not dealt with the shady agent and his buyer.  Hopefully, you have other interested parties that you can move on to.  At the very least, I would have good representation like one of the resident agents that would quickly knock some sense into the buyer's agent and control the situation.  Good luck to you.

As the other folks have mentioned, you should have insisted that the buyer's agent speak with your agent in terms of negotiating the price.  Don't let a buyer's agent and/or buyers push you around, there are plenty of buyers in Irvine including many very strong financed buyers who might offer you more than many cash buyers.  Put your foot down and let the agents/buyers know who's boss!  Good luck.

USCTrojanCPA said:
As the other folks have mentioned, you should have insisted that the buyer's agent speak with your agent in terms of negotiating the price.  Don't let a buyer's agent and/or buyers push you around, there are plenty of buyers in Irvine including many very strong financed buyers who might offer you more than many cash buyers.  Put your foot down and let the agents/buyers know who's boss!  Good luck.
+1,000,000

I had some Chinese agents come by without a call when I sold my home.  I would just be prepared for that sort of stuff.  It happens.

jmoney74 said:
I had some Chinese agents come by without a call when I sold my home.  I would just be prepared for that sort of stuff.  It happens.
Jmoney you are real estate savy and know business. But you know for an average Joe - I would call up your agent.

This is how FCB roll.  They don't follow the "rules" when it comes to business, negotiations, and contracts.
And I dont think your agent should have to teleport himself whenever an FCB disregards the MLS instructions and shows up at your doorstep.

But if you sell to FCB be ready for more issues during escrow.
Your agent might want to let them get away with a lot to get the deal done.
You have to be tough though, just stick to your guns and do not let them push you around.
There are billions of FCB in the sea.

I find it funny some people think the agent should rush over there at the whim. They are professionals and while I am sure if you call them they will try to be there, if they are in the middle of an appointment, they can't always make it. It isn't the agents fault that the buyers agent acted in a rude and unprofessional manner.  Sometimes it happens and you shouldn't cave to the pressure.  While the market is softer then it was 4 months ago, it isn't weak and there are plenty of other buyers and you shouldn't feel forced (at least not in the current environment). Plus in general, people who act poorly prior to entering a contract are probably going to continue to do so and there will likely be a greater chance that ultimately the deal goes sideways or has a lot of issues. 

Bullsback said:
I find it funny some people think the agent should rush over there at the whim. They are professionals and while I am sure if you call them they will try to be there, if they are in the middle of an appointment, they can't always make it. It isn't the agents fault that the buyers agent acted in a rude and unprofessional manner.  Sometimes it happens and you shouldn't cave to the pressure.  While the market is softer then it was 4 months ago, it isn't weak and there are plenty of other buyers and you shouldn't feel forced (at least not in the current environment). Plus in general, people who act poorly prior to entering a contract are probably going to continue to do so and there will likely be a greater chance that ultimately the deal goes sideways or has a lot of issues.

I think the point of this was that the OP's agent should have been contacted, and that agent should have done a MUCH better job of guiding her through this process.  No matter how busy an agent is, they should at least be able to be contacted, and they should be able to shield their clients from these types of situations.

gasman said:
Bullsback said:

I think the point of this was that the OP's agent should have been contacted, and that agent should have done a MUCH better job of guiding her through this process.  No matter how busy an agent is, they should at least be able to be contacted, and they should be able to shield their clients from these types of situations.

The point is that it's not the agent or OP's fault. 
This is just what FCB do no matter what the MLS instructions say.

No disagreement out of me there. It just seemed like a lot of people telling the original poster to get a new agent and I don't think in this case, that was the issue. Could the agent have better prepared the individual, maybe, but because they didn't happen to be available that exact second, doesn't make them a bad agent. They do have multiple clients they have to juggle so you can't always drop what you are doing.

Disclaimer: I am not in the real estate profession. 

ob1 said:
The point is that it's not the agent or OP's fault. 
This is just what FCB do no matter what the MLS instructions say.

Agreed.  But the agent needs to help bring order to the chaos.  Seller should also recognize the situation and know what his/her options are.  It's obvious the OP didn't know what the options were, which is the agent's fault for not setting expectations.  It doesn't take much time to establish:

"if X happens, do Y"

which in this case should have been:

"if FCB and agent show up at your door unannounced, call me and I'll take care of it"

Done.

Back