Retail Openings and Closures

ps9 said:
gaufree is pretty good, good yelps.  I would say on par with Bruxies
Gaufree is decent but not as good as Bruxies or Iron Press. The times I have been there,  only a few others were there so I don't think it's going to well for them.

That center just doesn't seem to do well for eateries... the only one that has been able to last is Jalapenos.

It looks like their locations on Jeffrey/Irvine Center Drive in Irvine AND Mission Viejo have both closed.  Either that or they appear to be taking the month of December off.  Irvine location must have only been opened a few months at most.

Guess that is what happens when you name your business after satan? Probably not the best name, but sounds like there were other issues.

Tyler Durden said:
85 degrees opening in Garden Grove. 

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2013/09/85_degrees_garden_grove.php

Hopefully that means folks who go there won't have this sort of line (per OC weekly - the day after christmas):

line85-thumb-400x300.jpg

It's now open.. lines were crazy for the first few days!

Might be old news but new to me:

Liang's kitchen has closed maybe a couple months ago.  Surprised, good location with all the new FCB developments near by.  Googling shows up all Liang's kitchen has closed in CA?  Food was ok, but for some reason we never had a craving for their stuff.  Maybe that's why.  Remember the grease...

Orange Tree Square is almost to crazy to go/park on weekends/holidays.  The only Irvine shopping plaza with a true Rowland Heights vibe.  It only needs a underground parking/mugging structure to complete the look.

ps9 said:

Liang's kitchen has closed maybe a couple months ago.  Surprised, good location with all the new FCB developments near by.  Googling shows up all Liang's kitchen has closed in CA?  Food was ok, but for some reason we never had a craving for their stuff.  Maybe that's why.  Remember the grease...

Orange Tree Square is almost to crazy to go/park on weekends/holidays.  The only Irvine shopping plaza with a true Rowland Heights vibe.  It only needs a underground parking/mugging structure to complete the look.

Agree on Liang's Kitchens.  Some people swear by it but I much rather go to the other restaurants at Orange Tree. 

ps9 said:

wow.. I drop by that shopping complex once or twice a week and didn't notice it closed already .. When they opened few years ago, I remember the waiting time to be seated was pretty long.

I totally agree with the parking though on that complex .. its horrible .. I would not dare to go there during lunch/dinner timeframe

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
Is 101 noodles and the Tofu King place still around?

I only go to that plaza for Yus Garden.

101 is.  We like it for 101, SW, the bakery, and Yu's Garden.

The lady owner at Yu's Garden is scary friendly though.

Irvinecommuter said:
HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:

Is it the "ni hao" lady? :)

SW, bakery and Tapioca Express for boba are staple for us .. Yu's garden if we feel like having congee breakfast as they are the only one open at those times.  We are also starting to like Hometown Deli (I think same owner as Yu's Garden as I see their employee move from one to the other).  And of course the 99 Ranch =)

bones said:
The Chong Qing Szechuan place is not bad either.

For some reason, I never like the smell of that place when I go in .. it smells of something I can't explain.

ps9 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:

She is like super friendly to the point of being creepy.  Combine that with a little too much makeup...you get clown creepy.

Irvinecommuter said:
ps9 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:

She is like super friendly to the point of being creepy.  Combine that with a little too much makeup...you get clown creepy.

Not sure if we're talking about the same person, my "ni hao" lady is not the owner, she use to work at Nice Time Deli when it was still around.  She says "ni hao" every 10 seconds while she helps you :)  little odd, but not creepy.

I got gas next to the Burger King on Main Street near Harvard and saw the restaurant had closed. I think it closed around the middle of December.

Vinster said:
I got gas next to the Burger King on Main Street near Harvard and saw the restaurant had closed. I think it closed around the middle of December.
Wow... that was one of the last BK in this area... will it turn into The Habit?

I think there is one more on the border of Irvine and Santa Ana Heights off of Newport.

I am always intrigued when I hear about very well established names going down.  I wonder what happened.

I will miss the $1 Rodeo burger. 

Back