Retail Openings and Closures

Coleman said:
I am always intrigued when I hear about very well established names going down.  I wonder what happened.

I will miss the $1 Rodeo burger. 

i had a couple of these the other day from the BK on redhill - pretty good. i tried the big king and that was not good at all, the big mac is much much better.

irvinehomeowner said:
Vinster said:
I got gas next to the Burger King on Main Street near Harvard and saw the restaurant had closed. I think it closed around the middle of December.
Wow... that was one of the last BK in this area... will it turn into The Habit?

I think there is one more on the border of Irvine and Santa Ana Heights off of Newport.
Where's one by me off Jamboree and Irvine Blvd and I think there's one by the court off Jamboree and Birch.

Yep! said:
Looks like Oceanic Fish Grill in Woodbury closed last month.  Now has a new owner, new place opened in its place, Yellowfin Fish Grill.

Haven't been yet, but looks like the early reviews are pretty good.

Coupons on Woodbury Offers:
http://www.woodburyoffers.com/p1308wd06/

Not surprised.  Food was below par compared to California Fish Grill and portion size seems smaller and not cheaper.  I dropped by the new YellowFin Fish Grill and looks like they just changed the name and part of the menu but everything else looks the same.  I ask for a take out menu to look at home and they referred me to the board and said they have no printed menu yet that I can take home .. really ??? how difficult is it to have a take out menu ready before you start doing business ? 

GH said:
Yep! said:
Looks like Oceanic Fish Grill in Woodbury closed last month.  Now has a new owner, new place opened in its place, Yellowfin Fish Grill.

Haven't been yet, but looks like the early reviews are pretty good.

Coupons on Woodbury Offers:
http://www.woodburyoffers.com/p1308wd06/

Not surprised.  Food was below par compared to California Fish Grill and portion size seems smaller and not cheaper.  I dropped by the new YellowFin Fish Grill and looks like they just changed the name and part of the menu but everything else looks the same.  I ask for a take out menu to look at home and they referred me to the board and said they have no printed menu yet that I can take home .. really ??? how difficult is it to have a take out menu ready before you start doing business ?

I am totally over fish grills.  There are a few good ones but it's pretty much a sit down restaurant (i.e. no take outs).  Prices are pretty expensive as well.

Saw that Golden Spoon closed in the Trader Joe's shopping center on Culver.  Now the days of a foot massage and frozen yogurt outing are dashed ;)

furioussugar said:
Saw that Golden Spoon closed in the Trader Joe's shopping center on Culver.  Now the days of a foot massage and frozen yogurt outing are dashed ;)

At least Golden Spoon Froyo...which is really overpriced to begin with.

furioussugar said:
There was an article about that in the paper. They tried to convert to the self-serve format like Yogurtland but using a price per size charge rather than price per weight, it didn't go over well and they switched back to full-serve but it was too late.

irvinehomeowner said:
furioussugar said:
There was an article about that in the paper. They tried to convert to the self-serve format like Yogurtland but using a price per size charge rather than price per weight, it didn't go over well and they switched back to full-serve but it was too late.

All the Golden Spoons are shutting down one by one.  I use to work at the one in Costa Mesa, the owners were super cool!

bones said:
Never been to a golden spoon before. I always think of them as dirty - probably inaccurate. I do however like yogurt land and tutti frutti but I'm that customer that ends up buying $1.65 of yogurt so I'm not contributing much to their bottom line.

funny you mention that. i used to go the the golden spoon by trader joes before it switched to full serve, then i went once and it was full serve and asked the cashier why they switched. she said that people were complaining that it was too dirty so to keep things cleaner they switched to full service and kept the customers behind the rope.

bones said:
Never been to a golden spoon before. I always think of them as dirty - probably inaccurate. I do however like yogurt land and tutti frutti but I'm that customer that ends up buying $1.65 of yogurt so I'm not contributing much to their bottom line.

$1.65 of yogurt?? That's the price of sample cups lol...

I miss Red Mango, yogurtland is ok, I just get the plain tart and skip the sneezed on/fingered topping station.  If you ever watch a little kid scoop toppings you would never want to eat there again.

bones said:
homer_simpson said:
bones said:

$1.65 of yogurt?? That's the price of sample cups lol...

Haven't u seen the picture qwerty put up of me. $1.65 gets you that bod ;)

quick, someone link me!!!

I picture bones looking like Amy Chua for some reason...

bones said:
ps9 said:
I miss Red Mango, yogurtland is ok, I just get the plain tart and skip the sneezed on/fingered topping station.  If you ever watch a little kid scoop toppings you would never want to eat there again.

Tutti frutti in Woodbury is ok. They have some toppings in those pourable canisters. Less germy.

I don't think that Tutti Frutti would last long .. It almost always empty even on a warm/sunny  weekend ..

bones said:
GH said:
bones said:
ps9 said:

Tutti frutti in Woodbury is ok. They have some toppings in those pourable canisters. Less germy.

I don't think that Tutti Frutti would last long .. It almost always empty even on a warm/sunny  weekend ..

It looks like it's owned by a Chinese couple. So it could be a front for something. Total speculation of course :)

Probably a mah jong parlor in the back.  That or they hold the kumate.

Back