Retail Openings and Closures

AW said:
Wonder if pavilions will come back.  First vons left, and then pavilions, I like them better than albertsons for whatever reason. 

You'd think that QuickSilvers competition would be more inline with billabong, Hurley, o niell and other lifestyle clothing companies...

Pavilions can't come back because it was shed to get the merger approved.

18 stores in the Pacific Northwest to an additional 146 stores far from their niche without a distribution center in place. Even if they had lower prices, they probably still would have struggled.

Ready2Downsize said:
AW said:
Wonder if pavilions will come back.  First vons left, and then pavilions, I like them better than albertsons for whatever reason. 

You'd think that QuickSilvers competition would be more inline with billabong, Hurley, o niell and other lifestyle clothing companies...

18 stores in the Pacific Northwest to an additional 146 stores far from their niche without a distribution center in place. Even if they had lower prices, they probably still would have struggled.

Obviously they didn't have a lot of time (i.e. the private equity firm backing them wasn't willing to contribute any cash towards buying them time) - the stores had to generate enough revenue to immediately cover all expenses.

Large format supermarkets are on the way out. It's all about smaller footprint stuff. Maybe I'm in the minority but I go to Ralph's once a month (if that) to shop. 

AW said:

Pavillions and Vons are the same thing...and they won't come back because of regulatory approval. Ralphs is the only choice and you have a Ralph's at Culver / Walnut and Jamboree / Irvine Blvd. I would think their is going to be a shopping center by Eastwood as well (or somewhere in that area), but I could be wrong. I don't see TIC going to a non western grocery store as one of its primary tenants, although I suppose a higher end retailer could go there, but i don't know how well they'd do and would think a "smaller" whole foods just isn't a fit. Its basically Ralph's or Gelsons. Given I live within walking distance of this area, I hope they replace it and soon (as I like the convenience factor) but nothing in this location has done well (their is a reason they chose to close this store vs. the Albertson's...the Pavillions was always DEAD).  Albertson's also just seemed to have better "sales", etc. 

TIC is going to have to provide some nice incentives for one of the big grocers to move in. Leverage this deal with some discounted rent at another location or maybe priority access for a new shopping center (scratch your back type of deal).  Just my opinion.  That or provide some serious decreased rent until OH goes in.  Once OH is built out, this center will be a no brainer, but depending on what happens to the RE market, you have no idea when that actually will be and Pavillions already got stuck playing that gamble (as have a lot of other tenants in that center). 

paperboyNC said:
Ready2Downsize said:
AW said:

Obviously they didn't have a lot of time (i.e. the private equity firm backing them wasn't willing to contribute any cash towards buying them time) - the stores had to generate enough revenue to immediately cover all expenses.
It is what PE's do. They leverage the crap out of it and roll the dice. If it wins, great for them, if it loses, they shield themselves and it is the banks who financed the deal and the employees who get hurt. Employees almost always get hurt when PE gets involved. While PE has its place in development and other areas, in general, it is a ruthless business that in my opinion, does a lot more harm then good for everybody but those that in PE. They leave companies they bought worse off and the only major win is to those that work for the PE company (and even then those companies are ruthless).

Beauty of it is, it does provide money for initiative, etc.

PE is basically gambling with other people's money.  Because the PE loads massive new debt on the target company by using the target company's own assets as collateral, the target company has to generate big cash flow to service the new debt immediately after the acquisition.  If the company can do this, the PE wins.  If the company cannot do this, the lenders and employees lose.

Some barre workout place (alkalign) and some upscale baby store is opening up in Woodbury town center. Why couldn't we get some more restaurants instead?! Sigh.

bones said:
Some barre workout place (alkalign) and some upscale baby store is opening up in Woodbury town center. Why couldn't we get some more restaurants instead?! Sigh.

Give these new stores a year or so.. I'm sure there is still a chance restaurants will fill the spaces.

that upscale baby store is where you will meet a lot of preggers from China, birth tourism...

bones said:

The California Court Company said:
that upscale baby store is where you will meet a lot of preggers from China, birth tourism...

bones said:

Chinese owner :)

They should offer post partnum Chinese services. A lot of people (AA, FCB and FOBs) are always looking for meals, etc postpartum.

Urban Plates and a Starbucks (with drive thru) is opening up in Irvine Marketplace .  Looks like a new building in the Lowe's parking lot?

gaogi said:
Urban Plates and a Starbucks (with drive thru) is opening up in Irvine Marketplace .  Looks like a new building in the Lowe's parking lot?

Good idea, so much extra parking there.

Cafe Rio is going to be opening where Jalapenos was off off Alton and Culver.

I actually like their food a bit better than Chipotle... but not as much as Jalapenos.

And I don't remember if this has been posted but Afters (the donut ice cream sandwich place) will be opening at Diamond Jamboree (not sure if that is the old Yogurtland space).

Man, I miss Jalapenos, been going to Taco Factory instead but the al pastor is not even close.  The Tustin Jalapenos is still around but conflicts with our end of the world schedule.  I hear they have lengua and cabeza, too ghetto for Irvine

qwerty said:
Aren't cafe rios normally in bigger spaces than that old jalape?os?
Probably but the kitchen area was huge for Jalapenos. They could probably move that back and make enough seating for Cafe Rio... plus lots of outdoor seating there now.

At least it's a Mexican place... don't want to go to Tustin. :)

Back